Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 17-09-2017, 08:55

Default Advice please on east Yorks coast

Hello all,
This is my first post so please be gentle with me :-)
I live by the sea in Essex and will be moving to Sheffield next year to be near my grandchildren. I will definitely need a caravan on the coast as a bolt hole though, as I will miss the sea!
I'm a bit concerned about coastal erosion however. I have seen a lovely quiet site on the cliffs at Hornsea, very affordable, but the cliffs seem to be crumbling..2m a year I read. Same at Withernsea, although there are a couple of sites that seems to be on the flat. Also seen some chalets there. Is that any better?
Can anyone advise the situation if you suddenly find the pitch you are on getting nearer and nearer the edge? Does the park have to re-site you or do they tell you to remove it and dispose of it if you don't? I'm looking at going in at the very bottom end of the market firstly, but even so I am scared of making a mistake.
Any thoughts gladly received
Jane :-)

Old 17-09-2017, 10:45
Supporting Member

It can happen. We are on a site which has a steep cliff. We are not on the front row so don't feel in any danger, but wouldn't like to be right on the edge. We had a cliff fall a couple of months ago about 100 yards up from the site. A few years ago the site next to ours had a cliff fall and several of the vans were left hanging over the edge. As far as I know a few people left and the others had their vans re-positioned but not in as good and area of the site. I'd go for somewhere with a flatter site or at least one where the vans aren't on the edge. This is a video of the caravans hanging over the cliff edge (if it will load).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An0EQyeFKsQ

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Last edited by Bells64; 17-09-2017 at 10:50.
Old 17-09-2017, 15:44

to the forum.

I would advise you to stay away from sites on a cliff edge. The only reason I give is that its common sense. If the cliffs are eroding, you wouldn't catch me anywhere near them either in a static or walking near them.

Pick a park that is on flat land.
Old 17-09-2017, 18:42
Supporting Member

to the forum.
Most of the East Yorks coast is eroding and the current thinking seems to be to let nature take it's course.
I personally do not think anything within say 100 yards of a cliff edge is a long term prospect but others may not agree.
As to what site owners have to do in the cliff edge scenario, I think it is basically the same as always, i.e. Whatever they feel like as it is their land and the caravan owners are at their mercy.
Old 17-09-2017, 19:51

Oooh. Thanks all for the input. I think you've just confirmed what I was feeling...that it's a problem waiting to happen. There is the golden sands at Withernsea who have built a new site on opposite side of the road to the original because this did happen. I wil investigate that as they seem quite friendly and reasonable too. Anyone have experience of the Golden Sands Withernsea please? I may ecen think about a chalet..would I be banned for uttering such obscenities? ;-)
Thanks
Jane :-)