Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:08

Default Can I hand it back ?

Bought a caravan in finance in march 2017, when we were shown around the van we noticed some marks on the bedroom walls and asked what it was, the salesman told us it was where the cleaners had used the wrong products to clean the walls , so we took him at his word and proceeded with the finance agreement. Later that year when the weather turned colder, we noticed these marks change in shape and appearance. I emailed the site manager asking for a damp check to be carried out, to which he agreed. The damp check came back positive and we were told a previous repair had not worked and they could either exchange the van or repair it. We opted for repair at a later date, but I'm wondering if we should/could refuse the van altogether and cancel the finance agreement ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:20

Why would you opt for a repair at a later date ? Why not an immediate repair , so long as they repair it properly and the walls are replaced/cleaned properly then you will have the van you originally thought you was buying , if your not happy with them repairing it could you go through your insurance instead , sounds to me that they are being fair with you , I have no idea what you can do regards the finance and handing the van back .
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51

Regarding canceling your finance, I strongly advise that you take advice before doing that. For one thing, the finance company will undoubtedly hit you with a hefty cancellation fee, that is of course if they allow you to cancel at all. Your first step should be to read your contract from start to fo finish and as these contracts can be long winded and complicated, you may need as stated earlier, some advice on your options.

Good luck whatever way you go. It might be easier to accept the repair but get it in writing that if the work is not successful, that it will be carried out till an acceptable resolution is achieved.
Old 04-10-2017, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slattster View Post
Why would you opt for a repair at a later date ? Why not an immediate repair , so long as they repair it properly and the walls are replaced/cleaned properly then you will have the van you originally thought you was buying
Agree with the above and if keeping the van, get the repair done ASAP, especially with winter arriving.
Old 04-10-2017, 17:53

I asked for the repair to be done at a later date because we had people in the caravan and didn't want them disturbing .
Old 04-10-2017, 17:56

The reason I'm asking if we can hand it back is because our circumstances have changed dramatically over the past 3 months and although paying the finance is not a problem, we are not getting to use the caravan at all lately and cannot see that changing in the foreseeable future. I'm thinking this may be a good reason to get out of the finance agreement.
Old 04-10-2017, 20:11
Supporting Member

This could be a problem, it may not just be a case of 'handing it back'. If you've had it for 8 months or so, it may be that the site will offer you much less than the value you agreed to pay and you will now be expected to pay back the difference, I've heard of this happening. Check any contract you've got and your financial agreement.

Can I ask how old your van is and does it have central heating and double glazing, the reason I ask is that some older vans can be prone to damp and mould, if they agree that it was an existing problem when you bought it, you may be able to use this as an argument to get out of the agreement.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Last edited by Bells64; 04-10-2017 at 20:28.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:49

You cannot just hand it back, your finance company won’t accept it, your only challenge would be to the park that they sold you goods of unsatisfactory quality how we they have already agreed they would exchange or repair and you accepted a repair so in the eyes of the law you have no grounds for anything else , if the repair fails you can approach it again but they would have to agree a full refund for you to pay off the finance as the only way out..
Old 06-10-2017, 15:27

"The salesman said", the words that start a million problems. I suspect your just out of time to reject as I think it's 6 months. A quick call to the finance company might help. They effectively own the caravan so might be interested in the problem.

A letter to the park owner / general manager clearly stating the problem, your concerns, your disappointment and your preferred outcome would be advisable. Keep it friendly as you want good communication channels to achieve a resolution.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Andy

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube