Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 06-09-2019, 16:32

Default Ten foot wide

Our journey into the static home world is just starting, we would like to live in Portugal and have a site already the Lane from the village restrictes us to a mix of 10 foot. The site we have is private just outside a village with shops, bakery, bars and restaurants. We have looked at older static homes but so have not found a secondhand one to suit our needs we went one fairly modern with 2 bedrooms. We have seen two 2020 models that we like both would take a king size bed which we would like to make use of, long story we purchased this bed to move into a house it's unused and cost 2000, which we may be lucky to get 500. The two homes we have seen are the new Williby Ashhurst 10 & the Swift Loure 2020 10 foot. Any advice would be more than welcome.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:48

I have no idea what your budget is, but if you have the money, have you considered going direct to the manufacturers and asking them to make a bespoke one for you?
The park home manufacturers will make them to fit the plot, so I assume that the static makers will as well.
The manufacturer will certainly insist on a very high deposit before they start - but then you can have the layout and dimensions that you want (and yes, they will do a lot of the plans etc via email).
The alternative is to consider a twin unit that has to be joined together on site, so each half is just under 10' .
You may well be able to recoup some costs later by finding a magazine that will buy the story - their cannot be many people who have purchased a new home to fit their bed, rather than the other way around.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhb View Post
I have no idea what your budget is, but if you have the money, have you considered going direct to the manufacturers and asking them to make a bespoke one for you?
The park home manufacturers will make them to fit the plot, so I assume that the static makers will as well.
The manufacturer will certainly insist on a very high deposit before they start - but then you can have the layout and dimensions that you want (and yes, they will do a lot of the plans etc via email).
The alternative is to consider a twin unit that has to be joined together on site, so each half is just under 10' .
You may well be able to recoup some costs later by finding a magazine that will buy the story - their cannot be many people who have purchased a new home to fit their bed, rather than the other way around.
Good idea to look into 2 x 10 units, not so sure about manufactures making a bispoke unit as Williby were unwilling to leave a bed side unit out so we could fit our king size bed in it!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastline View Post
Good idea to look into 2 x 10 units, not so sure about manufactures making a bispoke unit as Williby were unwilling to leave a bed side unit out so we could fit our king size bed in it!
The manufacturers who make park homes as well as holiday lodges will definitely make bespoke homes, as their furniture is free standing so you can add/subtract whatever you want.
Tell them you want a bedroom to take a bed of this size, and they will tweak a design accordingly.
Prestige/Homeseeker in Northampton are one of the better ones for this.
Bear in mind that the prices you see advertised will be the prices charged by the Park for a sited home, which is considerably more than an ex-works home - the downside will be that you may have to work hard to prove that you are a serious buyer who will not back out at the last moment (although there are so many new parks springing up here that most manufacturers have no problems unloading the odd excess home anyway).
There are also some manufacturers that build park homes solely for own-land buyers - I'll see if I can find their names again.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:59

ADDED IMPORTANT:
If your bed is a single piece (i.e, the frame does not come apart) make sure that either the bedroom has french doors, or that you get a twin unit and put the bed in before the halves are joined. The interior doors in a park home can be pretty narrow, so getting a single large item of furniture into bedroom can be extremely difficult (we have king size beds in both bedrooms, but the frames dismantle to get them in and out. Mattress is no problem).
Old 09-09-2019, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhb View Post
ADDED IMPORTANT:
If your bed is a single piece (i.e, the frame does not come apart) make sure that either the bedroom has french doors, or that you get a twin unit and put the bed in before the halves are joined. The interior doors in a park home can be pretty narrow, so getting a single large item of furniture into bedroom can be extremely difficult (we have king size beds in both bedrooms, but the frames dismantle to get them in and out. Mattress is no problem).
The bed is a two part devan and the mattress 150cm x 198cm I have spoken to Williby and they happy to except it if we have transported to them.