Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 29-09-2010, 13:36

Default always get things in writing

hi
just to let you know what happened to me.
me and my family purchased a used caravan on a mid wales site.
we agreed with the site manager verbally that i would have a minimum 10 years life on my van even though the site has a 15 year life then anually reviewed there after,since then the site manager has left and the company are not honouring verbal agreements,our case has been reviewed by the office of fair trading and has been passed to trading standards.
please dont go through what we have had to endure.get everything in writing.

Old 29-09-2010, 14:16
Administrator

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't intend this to sound like i'm kicking you when you are down and it certaintly isn't a comment on you rather than on the subject matter as a whole but I can never understand people spending 1-2 years wages on a van and then not getting anything written down.

Whenever I buy something that I can't afford to easily replace, for example a TV, I get the salesperson or assistant to write down everything they say to me to do with money offer, added extra's etc.

If they won't, walk away.

I hope you situation gets sorted but I can't see what the oft can do it's your word against an ex employee.

to the forum again,

Darren

Follow us on Twitter (Info)
Old 29-09-2010, 17:33

Hi Darren
i understand what you are saying and to a certain degree i agree with what you are saying,however the case has been going on for 2mths now and a verbal agreement is a law abiding agreement and we have witnesses to this and its not just us.other people on the site also had verbal agreements and they were honoured,also we were sold a 1998 model only to find out that its a 1997.all in all we have left the site as we feel we were robbed and misled and as the oft have said there was and i still believe that the practise of verbal agreements are still going on and by the sound of things the owners/directors are and were aware of this practise.cheers
paul
Old 29-09-2010, 17:50
Supporting Member

i have to say that coming on this site has been a real help to us on purchasing our van,

after gathering all the in formation we needed we headed on our searches over a period of time and asked the relevant questions ( thanks to this site) and when we actually came to buy the van we liked we asked them to put it in writing about the date of the van and how long we can stay on the site for etc,, and they had already done a letter for me as standard,.
Old 29-09-2010, 19:44

Sorry to say verbal agreements mean nothing, would you buy a car or more importantly a house without a written contract?
Any site owner who will not provide a contract will not belong to any caravan site owners association, also sales people come & go like the wind/sun.
Old 09-10-2010, 14:01
Retired Member

Fully understand about the 'age' thing. A guy on our lod site bought a lodge that was advertised as a being a 2006 model. It turned out that when he had an insurance assessor take a look at it, it was actually a 2004 model !!!! Make no mistake here, when you are dealing with park owners, get everything in writing !!

cheers.
gag19511