Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:35

Lightbulb New to statics?

its the beginning of the season and there seem to be a lot of people considering buying their first static. Please go into it very carefully, its a heavy financial commitment. There are many threads on here for first time buyers. But just to say again in priority order PARK, got to be exactly right-check out at least 5 parks and talk to people at each one. PITCH, don't be fobbed off with an unsuitable pitch. Trees can be beautuful-but when the wind is blowing-etc, etc. Will you be troubled by every cars headlights shining in your bedroom as they drive past? PRICE-make sure you take everything into account including annual insurance, cost of electricity, gas and your petrol costs. LAST the caravan, make sure that its in your price range has a great layout, comfy seating and good beds...

Old 05-04-2012, 11:17
Supporting Member

well done for bringing that up yogs...
it is a financial woe for many people that havent done their homework, they buy on a whim cos they have had a wonderful holiday and then the salesman approaches them as they look around the vans......
and they fall in love and are promised the earth..........

but in the cold light of day it is another matter... x

so please do your homework folks and if you decide that it is for you then go for it

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25

Default Site-van-pitch can work in that order

You should understand and consider all possibilities. We found our chosen site after having had a holiday there, met and talked to people on site and to the site management. We then waited until the site had a caravan come in that we liked even though it meant several visits. We paid a £100 fully returnable deposit as a sign of good faith and then found our chosen pitch which we had to wait just a short time to become available. Itís worth waiting to get the pitch you want, or like, as youíre likely to be there a long time. Itís a big decision and could be costly if you unfortunately make a mistake and later feel the necessity to move! Don't rush!!
The point I would emphasise is do not commit yourself fully to either the site, caravan or pitch until you are completely happy with what you are buying and know that all three points will satisfy you. If you are looking at a site with reasonable and co-operative management then that in itself is reassuring not only for the present time but for the future.
You can always suggest a fully returnable deposit if it is not offered to you.
Enjoy seeking and locating your new holiday home!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:26

great post for the potential new buyer yogs. we have more outgoings on our van than our on our house. we are on a none letting site (our priority choice) but non the less if we hadnt of took a lot of time and preperation into buying our van we would be very shocked at the WHOLE package.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30
Supporting Member

and just to add....

make sure you are able to get there as often as you can or else you will be paying expensive fees for the van to be sat there empty...
we cant go as often as we like cos of hubby's shifts at work but if he doesnt work then we couldnt afford it on my wage..

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47
Departed Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside21 View Post
You should understand and consider all possibilities. We found our chosen site after having had a holiday there, met and talked to people on site and to the site management. We then waited until the site had a caravan come in that we liked even though it meant several visits. We paid a £100 fully returnable deposit as a sign of good faith and then found our chosen pitch which we had to wait just a short time to become available. Itís worth waiting to get the pitch you want, or like, as youíre likely to be there a long time. Itís a big decision and could be costly if you unfortunately make a mistake and later feel the necessity to move! Don't rush!!
The point I would emphasise is do not commit yourself fully to either the site, caravan or pitch until you are completely happy with what you are buying and know that all three points will satisfy you. If you are looking at a site with reasonable and co-operative management then that in itself is reassuring not only for the present time but for the future.
You can always suggest a fully returnable deposit if it is not offered to you.
Enjoy seeking and locating your new holiday home!
well put,if i were just buying i would not make the mistakes i did.but i still don,t regret my decision to buy a van.should have done it years ago.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37

Thanks, great post
Old 06-04-2012, 18:28

Lightbulb

Just keep your feet on the ground and be really objective. I know people say that they 'fell in love ' with a particular caravan....well its not difficult they are all so lovely. But honestly its got to be PARK first- As Tia said no good being miles away and only able to get there infrequently-Its cheaper to hire...Honestly, though owning a static has very little in common with hiring a static holiday home for a couple of weeks.

Please do your research, you can find out a lot on line, but you need to walk the walk, and do the foot-slogging. If you plan to view more than a couple of parks or caravans on a day or weekend visit-take photos and make notes-before it jumbles up in your head...
Old 19-04-2012, 10:15
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamaria589 View Post
and just to add....

make sure you are able to get there as often as you can or else you will be paying expensive fees for the van to be sat there empty...
we cant go as often as we like cos of hubby's shifts at work but if he doesnt work then we couldnt afford it on my wage..
You will just have to go on your own Tia or with your friends.

Great post Yoga - It is a huge financial commitment and if you get it wrong, it is a very expensive mistake.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:02

Lightbulb

Thanks mupps. I thought it needed saying again for anyone setting out on the journey.
I have seen a couple of threads this last week-which made me think, too. Initial kitting out of static-depending on size would you say around £1200+. I kept a spreadsheet for 6 weeks and stopped when the numbers got scary.

Another Post was around the usage of Gas bottles when operating central heating, all these costs need to be factored in.
Initial insurance is between £250-£300. Though that's all relative to the cost of getting there-I reckon 10 round trips to ours would match the insurance.

It came as no surprise to us as we did do all the sums before we bought-and you know what ? IT'S STILL ONE OF THE BEST THINGS WE EVER DID!!