Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Subletting

Subletting Advice on all aspects of subletting (hiring) your caravan

Old 24-04-2014, 14:34

Default Staggered by acute GREED!

My daughter has set me a bit of a challenge here.

She and her boyfriend who are both respectable, non-oik, non-drinking, and quiet living normal human beings started to look around for a static to rent for a week during the 'official school summer holidays'.

We own our own static, and so we know exactly what is involved in the upkeep, use and running of one, but they want to go to Cornwall.

So HOW in anyones name does a static currently renting for £230 a week, suddenly jump to £950 for a week in the holiday.

Cut all the c*r*a*p about market rates, and somebody please give me a convincing argument for not saying stuff it, and go abroad.

Old 24-04-2014, 14:49

have they tried Travelodge etc. as if you book in advance its a lot cheaper...
Old 24-04-2014, 15:26
Supporting Member

There is no financial reason not to say stuff it and go abroad (I couldn't go abroad as I couldn't be that far from my Mum - daren't go more than a couple of hours or so away). It is market forces - not so much supply and demand, but what 'they' can get. And it's only going to get worse now that parents are being fined for taking children out of school for even one day.

People/companies renting holiday accomodation have those who need to take their holidays during school breaks by the short and curlies. It has always infuriated me.
Old 24-04-2014, 15:56

Sorry can't give you a convincing argument as you say not to say stuff it a price hike of £720 is beyond ridiculous I hope the place stays empty I mean who would not say stuff it if they see the difference in the price anyone would feel robbed. After saying that I can see that there would be some difference as it is a peak week and I would expect to pay more supply and demand & all that but not to the extent of people feeling robbed.
Old 24-04-2014, 16:30

I think it's a bit unfair to single out the high cost of renting a static in the peak holiday season, it's the same for any holiday isn't it, during school hols..package holiday abroad, hotel holiday in Britain, canal boat, etc.
The main reason is simply because the demand is there, if it wasn't then prices would go down. Imagine yourself as a holiday site owner, you'd want to charge as much as you could reasonably expect to get wouldn't you? It's your business and livelihood, you're not a charity and you need to make a profit.
Bunty x
Old 24-04-2014, 17:45

There has been a lot of discussion about these recently among static owners who sublet privately. All our school holidays peak weeks have sold quicker than normal and we are struggling to fill our off peak weeks. It seems to be the same for the parks themselves. This is down to the new school rules and fines attached to taking school age children out of school during term time.

I predict school holiday week prices rising to make up for the unsold term time weeks.
Old 24-04-2014, 18:02

I think anyone subletting who rely on the income are going to struggle unless the government do a U Turn on this crazy idea.
Old 24-04-2014, 18:21

Try looking at it from another perpspective, a standard week costs £950 and at off-peak times they have to drop the price to £230.

Try working out how much people with their own vans spend on a weeks hol. I worked out every night we spend in the van comes in at about £100 before travel and gas/leccy, and that is cheap!

I presume at that price it will be a relatively new premium van, say £40k, loosing £20k in the first 3 years, so say £6500 a year, site fees on a premium site with all facilities, £4k per annum?, new bedding and bits and bats annually £500?

Call it £11k a year. Then every week it is rented out there will be gas/ electric, cleaners fee, laundry costs, any commission payable to site etc etc. At £230 pw the owners wouldn't even cover the costs of using the van themselves for a couple of weeks.
Old 24-04-2014, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
Try looking at it from another perpspective, a standard week costs £950 and at off-peak times they have to drop the price to £230.

Try working out how much people with their own vans spend on a weeks hol. I worked out every night we spend in the van comes in at about £100 before travel and gas/leccy, and that is cheap!

I presume at that price it will be a relatively new premium van, say £40k, loosing £20k in the first 3 years, so say £6500 a year, site fees on a premium site with all facilities, £4k per annum?, new bedding and bits and bats annually £500?

Call it £11k a year. Then every week it is rented out there will be gas/ electric, cleaners fee, laundry costs, any commission payable to site etc etc. At £230 pw the owners wouldn't even cover the costs of using the van themselves for a couple of weeks.

Christ on a bike. Looking at it like that, that's enough to put anyone off buying one and renting out.

Thank goodness we didn't choose that option.
Old 24-04-2014, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by golazzo View Post
Christ on a bike. Looking at it like that, that's enough to put anyone off buying one and renting out.

Thank goodness we didn't choose that option.
Its very easy when you buy your own van for your own leisure to forget about depreciation and even the site fees once that chunk as been paid and isn't an ongoing cost.

If like us you only have 4 weeks holidays to take (28 nights) and maybe another 18 weekends (some sat some fri/sat say 22 nights) so 50 nights a year to spend at the van. Lifetime depreciation on our unit approx £2k pa, site fees £2k pa insurance £100 General stuff for the caravan £xxx pa and we aren't far off, £80 - £100 per night we spend there. Then on top we have petrol, gas, electric and the fact we seem to do a home shop and a caravan shop that always total more than what just a home shop for 7 days would equal........

Expensive luxuary n'est pas?

Wouldn't want the hassle of renting out though.

In further response to the OP and their comment might as well go abroad for the week, yes they might as might a single traveller, but a family with 4 kids or two families with a couple of kids between them would still only pay the same £950 for the week, hardly the renters problem if the rentees aren't fully occupying the unit.

Last edited by cyclist; 24-04-2014 at 18:54.