Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 17-01-2019, 10:49

Default Buying 1st static advice please

Hi everyone
I've just been enjoying all the advice on the forum and great tips for someone new to mobile homes like me . I'm looking at buying our 1st static after moving up through the ranks from tent to camper van to touring caravan and now, hopefully a mobile home.
A mobile has come up on a site we love and I just wanted to ask your advice. It's ten years old and is in good condition inside however the ceiling has de laminated throughout the van.
Ive contacted the manufacturer who says there is no fix. My question is how worried should I be about this or is this a common enough problem. Could I just peel off the vinyl and paint the ceiling ?

I'm concerned as to what would cause this and I know from my experience with caravans that any sign of damp is a reason to walk away.
Thanks in advance for any help

Old 17-01-2019, 16:30
Supporting Member

to the forum..
Before you start getting into repairs , renovations or whatever is needed I would assume that you are happy that ‘van has enough of a potential future to warrant the undertaking.
As to the particular issue you are asking about I don’t have any experience of a problem like that so really do not feel able to offer advice.
I wonder how many folk would be prepared to comment from a distance without a visual inspection of the issue.
I think I’d just walk away rather than take something like that on myself but wish you the very best whatever you decide to do.
Old 17-01-2019, 17:16
Supporting Member

Sounds like it has a problem going on somewhere. Not having experienced that particular issue, I wouldnít want to pass judgement.
However, I would walk away. From how you have described the problem, I would look for a static which looks less risky. There are plenty of them about !
Old 17-01-2019, 17:30

Smile

thanks for the replies !

Is there any way of posting a picture of the issue on here? Willerby came straight back to me and said the issue was "de lamination of the adhesive ceiling boards" when i sent them the photo.

Statics on this site don't come up very often hence the reason for even considering it. We've had our touring caravan here for a number of summers and love the site.

I thought by their response it was a common enough issue.
Old 17-01-2019, 19:16
Supporting Member

Yes there is a way to post photos on here. Iím sure someone on here will be able to guide you through the process.
You said Willerby replied saying there was no fix. Sadly perhaps that is the case.

I think we all understand the desire to buy into the park you know and enjoy. Also the infrequent availability on that park.
However, if the issue you describe is for example caused by dampness, you have to ask what is the situation behind the panels, where you canít see ?
Hopefully you get some good advice on this, but please donít risk buying into a nightmare if you are in anyway unsure. Once youíve bought, it becomes your problem !!
Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old 17-01-2019, 20:53

Its not something I have seen on here before. I'd be more inclined to believe Willerby than the site. Did you ask them what the reason was and if it was likely to be an issue. I personally would step back and wait for another to come up.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 18-01-2019, 13:44

Personally I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Not had any experience but sounds like if it is fixable then it could be expensive. I'd go with Wilerby's advice they are the experts.
Old 20-01-2019, 19:22

It sounds like it could be damp permeating into the van. If that's the case it would be more trouble than it's worth. I too would walk away.