Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > News

News Discuss all of the latest news related to static caravans here

Old 30-06-2014, 18:37

Default Another safety thing to check...

Can I also remind people that Carbon Monoxide detectors need to be at or just above floor level? As heavier than air gases, if your detector is higher than your seating or your bed then by the time sufficient CO has accumulated to set it off, you could be either comatose or dead

For some bizarre reason - possibly to do with a basic lack of understanding of science - a lot of the new vans we have looked at in the last year have the CO detector co-located with the smoke alarm in the ceiling! Drives DH (a science teacher) absolutely nuts every single time we see one...

Be safe peoples

Old 30-06-2014, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carri_n View Post
Can I also remind people that Carbon Monoxide detectors need to be at or just above floor level? As heavier than air gases, if your detector is higher than your seating or your bed then by the time sufficient CO has accumulated to set it off, you could be either comatose or dead

For some bizarre reason - possibly to do with a basic lack of understanding of science - a lot of the new vans we have looked at in the last year have the CO detector co-located with the smoke alarm in the ceiling! Drives DH (a science teacher) absolutely nuts every single time we see one...

Be safe peoples

Carri, I do understand what you are saying about CO being heavier than air, but having just fitted a new detector at home I can tell you that the manufacturers are very specific about the location and they don't say to put them on the floor.

Caravan manufacturers are very careful about installing anything which could either kill or protect caravan occupants. I would guess that the sensors are calibrated to be at the height they are installed. Either way, I would only ever recommend that detectors are installed as per the instructions of the manufacturer and that all ventilation in the caravan is kept clear. Also don't clutter underneath the caravan as this ensures a good cross draft.

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 01-07-2014, 09:32

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
Carri, I do understand what you are saying about CO being heavier than air, but having just fitted a new detector at home I can tell you that the manufacturers are very specific about the location and they don't say to put them on the floor.

Caravan manufacturers are very careful about installing anything which could either kill or protect caravan occupants. I would guess that the sensors are calibrated to be at the height they are installed. Either way, I would only ever recommend that detectors are installed as per the instructions of the manufacturer and that all ventilation in the caravan is kept clear. Also don't clutter underneath the caravan as this ensures a good cross draft.
I have to agree with you Andy, we had this debate on a previous thread, which made me contact the fire service for advice.
The smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors must be placed in accordance with the Manufacturers instructions.
For example, my Father Inlaw has a table top detector, in our static, our detector had instructions to place approx on the wall approx 12" from the ceiling.

It's good we raise these points, it keeps us all safe thank you.

Ps here's a link to the thread I mentioned, there's some chat, but some good info too

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...xide+detectors

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 02-07-2014, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carri_n View Post

Be safe peoples
Are you saying that carbon monoxide is heavier than air? According to Wikipedia, it is slightly less dense than air. Is Wikipedia wrong (I know this is not impossible).

Henry
Old 02-07-2014, 00:30

I have looked further than Wikipedia, have yet to find a source that states that carbon monoxide is anything other than slightly lighter than air.

And since it is a product of combustion, it will be hot, making it even more liable to rise.

Therefore, as others have said, follow the instructions on your detector, and do not put your CO detector anywhere else.

Henry
Old 03-07-2014, 22:27

My pearch has been dismantled so i'll not bother adding my 2p