Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Shopping

Shopping Are you after a bargain and want advice or have you just bought something for your caravan? Share your bargains with the community. STATIC CARAVAN RELATED PRODUCTS ONLY

Old 06-04-2016, 02:55

Default Why oil filled over other freestanding heaters?

Hi all, quick question... Why do people use oil filled rads over convection or other types or portable heaters? I know fan heaters cost a bomb to run, it is purely running costs? Convection heaters seem to be typically about 20-30 cheaper for the same wattage so if I were to have say 4, OFR need to be significantly cheaper electricity wise to pay for themselves if that makes sense.
I'm working on the basis that GCH will be super expensive to run and I'll be paying for it in the initial cost of the static (I'm looking at an oldie) so if I can't get a log burner in, some kind of portable heating will be 100% necessecary and, as I'll be living year round, on a lot!
I 'think' I'll be cheaper saving 5-800 on the cost of the van without CH and putting that towards electric heating somehow?

Old 06-04-2016, 05:36

Hi cocoa pops. I have a 2003 van that has GCH, however the boiler is only 4 years old now, so it's an economical boiler. In 2014 I spent about 160 nights at the van (many early and late season when it was in minus temps) and I only used 2 x 47l gas bottles. I also used gas for cooking and showering daily.
When looking at vans I would try and find out how old the boiler is, it may be that it's been replaced.
I have an OFR for when I don't need the heating on. The reason I got it is was that it was in the sale so only cost 20. You also have the issue of storing them - there isn't much room for storage in a caravan. I can't comment on convection heaters as I didn't look at them. Good luck with your search for the perfect van
Old 06-04-2016, 06:09

Ofrs once hot keep their heat,whereas a fan heater is only hot when it's blowing and is straight to cold once off....they are ok for instant heat while the ofr warms up...
Old 06-04-2016, 11:51

Ours was from lidl and I think good value for money. It has a fan for heating things up fast, a thermostat and three power settings. I feel its safe compared to the halogen heater if you brush against it we have a dog and its pretty stable so I guess for me the fact I feel its safe in the middle of the room or at the edge is my best reason for spending 40 on it.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 06-04-2016, 22:41

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to get my head around if it's worth spending more for CH, spending less and fitting a wood burner (with perhaps a back boiler for CH) or to just go for freestanding, in both the short and long term cash and comfort wise.
I have a dog also so for that safety will be a concern but she's pretty calm. I also hadn't thought about them retaining heat better.
It's difficult not knowing how long I'll be living there for because of it's over 2 years say is want to put more money in than just for one year but I don't anticipate any resale value after having lived in it so it will all be 'dead money' so to speak, hence trying to be the most sensible cash wise

Last edited by Cocopops; 06-04-2016 at 22:43. Reason: Typos
Old 03-06-2017, 06:36
Supporting Member

Low watt panel heaters are a waste of time,unless you are stood ontop of them.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:51

My son gave us an eco electric heater with timer and thermostat. Not OFR. We used it in conjunction with gas central heating. It cut our gas consumption by a lot but kept us nice and warm. Later in the season, there was an offer on Amazon for an OFR which we bought and used in the bedroom with the door open to the entrance hall and bathroom. It kept them really warm when on 2Kw. power. Our gas bill was lowered and the electricity bill for the quarter was somewhere around 150 which I thought was very good. I must stress, we were in an old van at the time and went through all of the winter in it.

The newer type eco electric heaters are very good, so it's a question of what you personally want. Trial and error will give you the best results for you.

Last edited by Mosquito; 03-06-2017 at 07:54.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:45

I think the OFR being more economical is a complete myth. OK they stay warm for a while when switched off but then again they take the same amount of time to heat up. At the end of the day 2 kw of heat is 2 kw whether you are heating air or oil so its very marginal. We have both but find convectors the best.

http://joloholidayhome.weebly.com/
Old 05-06-2017, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
I think the OFR being more economical is a complete myth. OK they stay warm for a while when switched off but then again they take the same amount of time to heat up. At the end of the day 2 kw of heat is 2 kw whether you are heating air or oil so its very marginal. We have both but find convectors the best.
That makes sense to me. The eco heater, achieves a good temperature very quickly and the controls including thermostat, are very sensitive and work well. It also looks better than the OFR.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:34

A 2 Kilowatt heater is a 2 Kilowatt heater. It matters not what type of heater it is, they all use the same amount of energy. each have their own benefits & downsides. Fan heaters give instant heat & heat the room super quick but once off, they give out no heat of course. ECO heaters also give off instant heat and retain heat for a very short time as they are usually made to look like a standard radiator & are made of metal so the metal retains heat for a very short time. Oil radiators are very slow to warm up but once warm, they hold the heat for quite a while like a normal radiator would. So all have their uses & all use the same amount of power. One thing to think about is are you on mains gas or bottled gas? I have found that electric heating is always cheaper than gas heating if you are on bottles. I have used all types of heating in the many years I have had caravans. For my bathroom I find fan heater is the best (get the type designed for bathroom use). You tend to want instant heat while taking a shower & then its not needed once you leave the shower room so an oil radiator would not be so good in my opinion. In the bedroom, an oil radiator for constant gentle heat & in the lounge we use a flame effect electric fire which is basically just a fancy fan heater with a thermostat. Cost of all of them is the same to run. I have used an energy meter on each in turn to prove this. So it really depends on where you want heat & if you want instant heat or background heat. One other thing to think about is the room each heater takes. Fan heaters are very small, panel heaters are small & wall mounted but mostly useless because of their low power. Slimline oil radiators can be wall mounted & take up little room. Free standing heaters can be moved around to suit your needs. So the question which is best is like saying how long is a piece of string. The main thing you need to know when using electric heating is the capacity of the supply to your caravan. Ours is 17 amp but some of the older pitches are only 10 amp so if you use electric heating, you need to make sure your site supply can cope with this & if you have multiple heaters, you have to keep an eye on how much energy you draw & turn them on or off depending on what else you are running. For instance, I use a halogen oven & even with a 17 amp supply, I still have to turn off the heat when cooking. Thats why in the lounge I have an oil filled radiator as well as the fan heater as I can heat the oil & turn it of while cooking etc.