Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > Sport

Sport Chat about anything to do with the world of sport
Sponsored by: Watch Live Sport

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2017 Rugby League World Cup?
Australia 5 55.56%
England 3 33.33%
New Zealand 1 11.11%
Tonga 0 0%
France 0 0%
Samoa 0 0%
Papua New Guinea 0 0%
Fiji 0 0%
USA 0 0%
Other (Please State) 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-11-2017, 18:00

Default Trip to New Zealand

I am in New Zealand now and attended the Kiwi vs Fiji game in Wellington and the Tonga vs Samoa game in Hamilton.
I have watched all the England games on tv as they played in Oz. I think Tonga are the strongest Pacific Islands team in the world cup, they are fast, strong, big and hungry to succeed. They back each other up, are quick on defence at the play of the ball and have centres and wingers who have great speed.
England are slow, they wait for the opposition when defending and the only true BIG man they have is Sam Burgess, who is returning from injury and has only had half a game in the competition. England are rebuilding the team now as most of the big names like Peacock and Sinfield have retired.
We are actually travelling to Auckland today on our tour of NZ and I have not bought tickets at $80 each as I cannot see England winning and in a way I hope Tonga do succeed as they, for me have been the best team in the World Cup so far.

Old 25-11-2017, 07:11
Supporting Member

How the H**l did England win that semi-final?
From 20 - 0 to at 70 mins plus to 20 - 18 with a so- so call on that last run ( drop ball or steal ) that ended up over the line.
How close was that?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:21
Supporting Member

Well I’ve just watched the Final, Ouch! England did a lot better than I’d expected.
It could be argued that the only difference was a couple of referee decisions that gave Australia the continued possession from which the scored the only score in the game, but I don’t think that is being fare to the Aussies.
At the end of the tournament the best team won.

I won’t say “Better luck next time England” I think they just have to get better, the question is How?
Old 02-12-2017, 13:01

I wasnt near a Sky box here in New Zealand so missed the match. The Ozzies play the game twice as fast as us and always have. They are always more hungry too win too.
It was always going to be Aus/NZ/England final like it usually is. Only a pathetic display by NZ in the quarter final allowed England to get there, oh and a terrible refereeing decision disallowing Fiji's perfectry good last gasp try in the semi.
England will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride.
We have too many overseas players in Super League even with the quota rules.
Not enough young talent is brought through the ranks. And believe me I know first hand.
A certain youngster I know, a few years ago, was an excellent player and was clocking just UNDER 10 seconds for the 100 mtrs. Signed pro for a certain top SL team. Was never given the chance in the 1st team. Eventually he left joining a lower league team, scored over 40 tries for them in his 1st season breaking their 40 year record. The reason he never got the SL chance was there were too many overseas players on big contract money at the club, which in the end brought the club to its knees.
He was invited many times by the UK olympic selectors to join athletics but his love of rugby was too strong for him.
A proper youth policy needs to be used to bring talent like this to the professional aranks if we are to improve.
DJMOTORHOMER
Old 02-12-2017, 16:23
Supporting Member

DJM it seems to me you have described what, to me, is wrong in the Uk today. I would suggest all our major sports, Football, Cricket, RU, as well as RL and others are just the same.

It could also be said other walks of life are just like that as well i.e. it is easier to get an outsider in to do a job rather than spend the time and effort on developing our own.

But that comment is bordering on getting into politics so I’d better not go there.
Old 02-12-2017, 18:41

Agreed 😆 dont get me started on that 😂😂😂