Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:15

Default A Little More Advise Please :)

Hi Guys

I have a couple of further quick questions I'm hoping to get answers to

We have decking to the front of the caravan, and I am wondering what can be done to liven it up a bit? the previous owner did say it comes up lovely after a good jet wash, but IMHO it looks like it may have had a but too much jet washing over the years, as any sealant that may have been there is patchy now, and it just looks dull.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to paint it? or re-seal it? obviously needs to be something weatherproof and non-slip?

Any suggestions are most welcome

The other questions is on the skirting, I really want to turn off the water for the Winter, but cannot for the life of me work out how to get under the van? there is no obvious way to lift out/away the skirting? does anyone else have this type of skirt, and how do you get in under it lol

I have tried pulling at sections, but I don't want to cause any damage by not doing it right

(PICS BELOW)

Thanks Guys

Old 05-12-2017, 10:31

It looks like the decking is wood. If so, a good sanding down with an electric sander and then treating with a weatherproof sealer. If it was painted, it would probably become very slippy in wet weather unless you could find a non slip paint. However, I'm not sure how durable paint would be.

Regarding your skirting, which looks great, There must be a section that you can remove. I can't see anyone not leaving access to the underside of the van. Perhaps a good look around where the taps etc should be and a few gentle tugs may release the panel.

Go9od luck.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:08

Hi

TBH It feels more like plastic wood? (if that makes sense)

More investigation needed maybe

As for the skirts, I actually spent about 30 mins going all over the caravan looking for a way in/under, but nothing obvious at all? after pulling at various places it just felt like something was going to snap if I continued

From what I understnad they have NEVER done a drain down for Winter, so even the previous owners are non the wiser on how to get under it

There is even a Blue sticker shower where the tap is, but I just cant get to it lol
Old 05-12-2017, 12:01

Hi, have a look on you tube and type in static caravan skirting yours is on it. good luck.
Old 05-12-2017, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
Hi, have a look on you tube and type in static caravan skirting yours is on it. good luck.

Never even occured to me to check youtube lol

Cheers mate
Old 05-12-2017, 16:01

Exactly as it showed in the youtube video

Water is now turned off for the Winter

(Now to get my sander out and tackle that decking!)

Cheers Guys
Old 05-12-2017, 16:27

As regards decking,it might be best to use a power washer just in case it is plastic....
Old 05-12-2017, 19:37
Forum Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymama View Post
Hi

TBH It feels more like plastic wood? (if that makes sense)

More investigation needed maybe

As for the skirts, I actually spent about 30 mins going all over the caravan looking for a way in/under, but nothing obvious at all? after pulling at various places it just felt like something was going to snap if I continued

From what I understnad they have NEVER done a drain down for Winter, so even the previous owners are non the wiser on how to get under it

There is even a Blue sticker shower where the tap is, but I just cant get to it lol

Hi, Decking boards are a plastic type, not wood!
All you can do with them is pressure wash and scrub them down, a colour restorer may also darken them up slightly. Do not use anything to treat timber on them!
As with anything left in direct sunlight they will have faded somewhat over time but should clean up nicely!
A decent pressure washer will do the job!

Skirting wise, lift the top flap up and slide a panel out, the panels are only 500mm wide or so and slot down into each other from the top. All you need to do it fold the top flap up and you can remove any section you require..

You can also add lighting (Solar or wired) to the decking or switch out the spindle rails for glass panels if you wanted to add a little something more to it!

Max
Deckspares
Old 07-12-2017, 11:29

Just wondering how much that skirting is and if it's easy to fit. Our van is clad in UPVC, would it be cheaper to skirt it in the same UPVC?

Any reply would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Just wondering how much that skirting is and if it's easy to fit. Our van is clad in UPVC, would it be cheaper to skirt it in the same UPVC?

Any reply would be gratefully appreciated.
Are you allowed to have skirting? Think that would be the 1st question...also if you can,can you have UPVC. ...some sites only allow wood