Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 22:09

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

It would be wise to also read your insurance policy as regards their *Winter Cover Dates*. They will have certain stipulations that you should read and carry out. Also each site has different requirements for you to follow.

Here's a link to a thread in our Reference Hub you may find useful
http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3064

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1

Old 18-10-2019, 17:00

Thanks for the advice, I went for both products heat trace and the floe... given we are in Scotland the heat trace will help during the nights.

First time the park has been open till Jan so it will be all learning I guess.

Just to check the anti freeze in the heating system but topped up last year so should be all good, just need to buy a tester from ebay or similar.

Thanks again for the help.

Scott
Old 19-10-2019, 09:07
Supporting Member

I have my gas boiler set on the frost setting 5 degrees so that keeps the pipework above freezing inside, also stops all the musty smells and dampness associated with winter shutdowns. so you don't have to worry about shutdowns, Mind you i'm happy using my caravan during the winter months also so this set up works for me well

I made sure all my pipes underneath are lagged and secured with Cable ties not tape.
I also have a trace heating wire on my mains feed in cost me £9.99 from amazon and this is connected to a sensor that switches it on when it falls below 1 degree.

I switch off the water supply with a surestop switch which saves me going under the caravan in winter to turn the main stopcock off.

This has worked fine for me over two winters so far, You don't need to spend £££'s if you tackle the simple things first
Old 19-10-2019, 09:12
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.R View Post
Also make sure you leave the drain cocks and taps open (on)...There was an incident a few year ago on our site where people had drained down their vans .......But didn't closed taps ......And someone ..Thinking they were doing a favour went around checking that water stop cock outside were turned off......But inadvertantly let water back into the system ...I put a laminated label over my stop cock ...Saying "Drained down....DO NOT TURN ON"
What happens if someone does turn the stop cock back on and all the taps are open ?? Having a sign is just an invitation for kids to turn on the taps?

You come back a after months closed with a damaged van and a massive water bill ??
Old 19-10-2019, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
What happens if someone does turn the stop cock back on and all the taps are open ?? Having a sign is just an invitation for kids to turn on the taps?

You come back a after months closed with a damaged van and a massive water bill ??
I agree but where do you stop ?...One guy on our site actually disconnects the water supply feed altogether after that incident !..
Old 20-10-2019, 09:47
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.R View Post
I agree but where do you stop ?...One guy on our site actually disconnects the water supply feed altogether after that incident !..
Peter I bought myself a surestop switch from ebay, cost me £15 and you connect it to the outside pipework just passed the Valve and put the on or off switch inside.

That way you can switch the mains water on and off from inside the caravan rather than going outside, Another bonus i found using this is that, if you have a an outside tap fitted it will stop others from using your water as that will be isolated also

https://www.surestop.co.uk/sites/def...p_overview.pdf

https://www.surestop.co.uk/
Old 20-10-2019, 15:18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
Peter I bought myself a surestop switch from ebay, cost me £15 and you connect it to the outside pipework just passed the Valve and put the on or off switch inside.

That way you can switch the mains water on and off from inside the caravan rather than going outside, Another bonus i found using this is that, if you have a an outside tap fitted it will stop others from using your water as that will be isolated also

https://www.surestop.co.uk/sites/def...p_overview.pdf

https://www.surestop.co.uk/
Looks good Gerry may have to invest in one of them !
Old 21-10-2019, 16:38

I have added a 2nd stop tap that is easily accessible , in the colder months (now) I can switch both taps off just in case one fails .From approx mid nov to mid feb we wonít use the van so I will also disconnect the supply at the 2nd stop tap ....itís a push fit so easy to do. Bit of belt and braces I know but peace of mind. Had a look at the surestop and I donít know what would happen if it froze , I donít leave my heating on .
Old 21-10-2019, 19:20
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slattster View Post
Had a look at the surestop and I donít know what would happen if it froze , I donít leave my heating on .
That's why i use trace heating on the mains