Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:32
Supporting Member

Yes, second visit was equally exciting as the first, hopefully the cold weather has now gone for good. The electric blanket worked really well on initial warm up but not sure how well it worked when turned on to the overnight setting. It has a 1-9 setting and doesnt seem to be any different as we have tried turning it up and down. My husband got out of bed for a while and came back 15 minutes later and said his side of the bed was stone cold, so not sure if that setting is even working at all. Will have to see this weekend and maybe it has to be exchanged.

Still had a car full of stuff for the easter weekend and the list for 3rd visit is getting bigger all the time. As I am sat in my van my mind is working overtime, hmmm, maybe I should get one of these, or perhaps one of those, or maybe I can change this and that

Old 04-04-2018, 15:42
Supporting Member

Cool

Was advised last week by our park not to connect the water as more snow, possibly frost expected for Easter. Donít think it was too bad, but we have held back opening up just yet.
Today we are back to snow again at home and a few freezing temperatures showing on the weather forecast.
This feels like the longest ever winter.
Old 04-04-2018, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Was advised last week by our park not to connect the water as more snow, possibly frost expected for Easter. Donít think it was too bad, but we have held back opening up just yet.
Today we are back to snow again at home and a few freezing temperatures showing on the weather forecast.
Sorry you haven't started up yet Rainbow. We normally come to our van on 1st March when new season begins but we didn't make it this time due to icy conditions at both ends. Snowed in at home and domestic boiler problems. However, are now on our 3rd stay at the van. No problems at all with van or site but weather been mixed. Many hours of torrential rain this week, generally very cold but with a few hours of sunshine in between to tidy the van garden. This time we made it to the van before West Yorkshire and the M62 was engulfed in heavy snow. Hopefully house will be in tact when we get back there again!! The Lake District is now coming to life again with a late display of daffodils and flowering shrubs etc. that should have been blooming weeks ago.
Old 04-04-2018, 19:17

Hi Hazey Blue.
Glad you are enjoying your static but sorry to hear your electric blanket isn't performing as you hoped. We have basic electric underblankets - no frills. Just has on/off and 3 heat settings. We warm up the bed on high, then keep it on lowest setting throughout the night unless it gets too warm. The bed never feels cold on minimum setting. It doesn't feel hot on minimum but certainly you can tell its in use and keeps the chill off throughout the night as long as you don't leave it uncovered while you nip out to the bathroom. Will quickly warm up again though. I guess your blanket is faulty. I haven't used electric overblankets though so it could be that they need to be set higher overnight in this cold weather. That should be clear in the instructions though. Also - is it possible that the heat from your oil filled radiator is turning the blanket thermostat off if its an over-blanket ?

There always seems to be something extra we think of buying for the van - and just when you think you have got everything, things need replacing and it all starts again. Enjoy it all.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:22
Supporting Member

Quote:
We had snow on easter monday at our van, but it turned to rain later in the day and was totally gone by the evening. We are just on the other side of the country from you so I suspect we have similar temps.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:36
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebells View Post
Sorry you haven't started up yet Rainbow. We normally come to our van on 1st March when new season begins but we didn't make it this time due to icy conditions at both ends. Snowed in at home and domestic boiler problems. However, are now on our 3rd stay at the van. No problems at all with van or site but weather been mixed. Many hours of torrential rain this week, generally very cold but with a few hours of sunshine in between to tidy the van garden. This time we made it to the van before West Yorkshire and the M62 was engulfed in heavy snow. Hopefully house will be in tact when we get back there again!! The Lake District is now coming to life again with a late display of daffodils and flowering shrubs etc. that should have been blooming weeks ago.
The weather certainly has been very mixed, its lovely today but heaven knows what we will get tomorrow?

I havnt used the OFR in the bedroom yet, so I dont think that is the issue. My husband had his side turned up to max on the overnight setting (its an underblanket) and he said he was still cold. Seems strange as the warm up function works a treat, but its far too hot to leave it on that all night. We'll see how we go this weekend, and it might have to go back next week.

Sorry to hear about your boiler issues, hope its not major!
Old 05-04-2018, 11:41
Supporting Member

Last night at home, outside air temp down to 4deg, heavy snow yesterday and much car defrosting this morning.
Hopefully that’s the last for some time.
Hoping to get to van next weekend.
Old 07-04-2018, 16:44

Quote:
Last night at home, outside air temp down to 4deg, heavy snow yesterday and much car defrosting this morning.
Hopefully thatís the last for some time.
Hoping to get to van next weekend.
I hope the weather is kind for you. We are now at my daughters for the weekend while they are away in a hotel overnight. When we left the van this morning it was raining hard again. No change really.