Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 02-06-2016, 13:28

Default Food

Possibly the most stupid question ever but what does everyone cook in their caravan? We have just bought our first van, gets keys tomorrow. having never stayed in a caravan before I'm clueless as to what to cook. The kids are easy, pasta and pizza but does anyone actually cook say a sunday roast??

Old 02-06-2016, 14:10

Never stayed in a caravan before .... Until you bought one ... Wow , hope you like it . Cook anything you like , anything that involves boiling water steams up the van though. Hopefully it'll be salads this weekend.
Old 02-06-2016, 14:37

Cook anything you like but try to keep steam and fat splashes to minimum. When we have a number of family guests together I cook lamb or chicken. Either use roasting bags or wrap in foil. Frozen roasties. Veg in microwave bags. Always line baking trays, grill pan etc. with foil to make washing up easier in small caravan sink. Spray oil is useful too.

Jacket potatoes and unlimited things "on toast".

We can't grill bacon or sausages in our van because they always set the smoke alarm off. We have an electric grill that we use outside on fine days for fry ups.

Whatever else, nobody will starve and the kids will probably have some great ideas.
Old 02-06-2016, 15:07

I cook just like at home but cheat a bit with frozen roast potatoes and veg but other than that just like home. My cooker is slightly smaller but not much and we have a good microwave so all systems go.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 02-06-2016, 15:08

Our smoke alarm is a pain it goes off every time we cook, and it's at the other side of the van it's also a mains on so we can't take the battery out when we cook. Yes I know you'll all say they save lives and yes I agree we all need them. However it would be nice to be able to turn it off when needed! As for cooking, we cook anything and everything summer and winter, we very rarely get condensation as we have a cooker hood that takes most of the steam away. Good luck with your new caravan and enjoy.
Old 02-06-2016, 15:52

we cant even make toast with out flapping a teatowel at ours sometimes even the kettle sets it off.

Old 02-06-2016, 16:37

We eat much as we do at home,basic things, I don't really like cooking. No probs using toaster or frying, do use spray oils. Never roasted meat, tend to buy already cooked or cook st home and bring with us. I like the frozen baked potatoes that you pop in microwave.
I also take my Nutribullet to make healthy shakes.
Old 02-06-2016, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slattster View Post
Never stayed in a caravan before .... Until you bought one ... Wow , hope you like it . Cook anything you like , anything that involves boiling water steams up the van though. Hopefully it'll be salads this weekend.
lol heres hoping i like it too! growing up we always went camping so never even stepped foot in a caravan until last weekend lol. if anything else its for the kids, almost like an adventure.....every weekend!

Thank you for all the comments. looks like normal cooking will continue. Nip into Tesco on route tomorrow to pick up bits and pieces.
Old 02-06-2016, 18:45

Also if your site allows it you can use a BBQ. Ask before you buy the BBQ otherwise it might be going home with you. lol.

The site we are going on does allow them but as most of our time at the van will be spent in the winter months, at least initially, I think a BBQ will be low on our priority list.
Old 02-06-2016, 19:16

I think its nice to cheat a little because it is your holiday too but honestly the caravan doesn't limit me much at all.