Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 05-09-2016, 17:01

Send a message via MSN to Bobsnobs Send a message via Skype™ to Bobsnobs
Default Paying for 10 months but only allowed to stay 50% of the 10 months

Hi

Just a quick one. Our site is open all year round for Touring but the static side is only open 10 months from March to December. On the website site it says you can only occupy the van 50% of the 10 month yet we still have to pay for the whole 10 months. Is this the norm? This is the small print which I have never seen before.

The season is non-residential from 1st March until 30th December with a maximum occupancy of 50% and the occupants must have a residential address off-site, proof of this may be required. The max age of any private holiday home is 25 years and canít be resold on site after 20 years old, from date of manufacture. Unquote

Old 05-09-2016, 17:24
Supporting Member

Last things first, the 25 year max age thing could be good or bad. i.e. Good to be allowed on park for longer than the usual 10/15 years. However, the downside being you could end up with a number of uncared for, untidy vans which are still allowed, arguably making the park look less than wonderful.
Re the main issue, 50% maximum occupancy ? I have read and re-read the terms as stated and I can't quite believe they mean you can only occupy your caravan for 50% of the 10 month opening season !!! Surely it's your van and you can come and go as often as you wish, while the park is open.
Would they police it by asking you to clock in and out ??
Re what is normal, Our park is open March 1st to Mid November and during that time, we can stay as often as we like. I thought that was normal.
Somebody correct me please if I mis-read the post.
Old 05-09-2016, 17:33

I've seen some say you have to go off at least once in 28 days for a night. I think its to prevent people using it as home and going on holiday for the two months it is closed. Ours is only open 7 months with an additional 35 days plus bank holidays in the "closed" period.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 05-09-2016, 17:45

our terms state u can not occupy the caravan for more than 6 weeks at a time. altho some stay there longer as its hard to police
Old 05-09-2016, 18:50

could be a stipulation on the council licence? Some councils include a clause in the site licence with a maximum stay period, to try and prevent holiday homes being used as residential, although they normally specify a maximum continuous period rather than a percentage.
Old 05-09-2016, 19:12

I don't know if it's the norm or not but as said it would be very difficult to police , I would think it's to stop people working from their van , just gives the site some protection .
Old 05-09-2016, 20:58

You say on the website but do you have a written agreement ? and if so what does that say.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 05-09-2016, 21:00

Unless you have to "clock in / clock out" I'm not sure how they monitor that 50% occupancy clause, probably more for the local authority than van owners. Unless of course somebody is spending most of their time there but in that case that would be quite obvious.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 05-09-2016, 22:18

On our site you can occupy it as much as you want in the open season. Many of the owners stay there the whole time, only going home for a day or so to check mail etc. Obviously they are retired so have the opportunity to do it.
I would be asking why you have to pay for 10 months when you can only use it for 5 months. I pay for 8 months and probably only go for 2 due to home commitments; however that's down to me. It's the principle for you Bobsnobs - why pay for 10 when you can only use it for 5, that may make the site fees seem rather expensive
Old 06-09-2016, 17:17

Our site is a 12 month " holiday " site.
There are no restrictions on occupation times / dates although like most " holiday parks" you have to have your own residential address.
( In reality at the moment we are probablyy only spending around 4 to 6 months there over any 12 month period, though that may change over the next season or so)

I do hope you can get clarification / sort it out with the park.

NB: I would never knowingly agree to a 50 % occupancy clause.

Dave.

Last edited by Faymoore; 06-09-2016 at 17:27.