Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 26-08-2017, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post

Think as manager said,its very hard to police...hopefully anyone who does it,has informed their nieces and nephews the rules.....
Family and very close friends are able to use owners vans on our park. There are strict rules but there haven't been any problems whilst we have been on site.

I don't think it would be fair not to let family use owners vans as in a lot of cases, such as ours, we bought the van for two reasons. 1. So that we could spend more time with the family. 2. Somewhere the family could go to and use as their own little retreat for weekends if they wanted to.

I made sure that both my son and daughter had a copy of the park rules. Ultimately, Christine and I are responsible for their actions whilst they are on site

Old 26-08-2017, 11:18
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebells View Post
That system could be interesting on some parks where many owners are retired and their caravan purchase was a one-off luxury purchased with inheritances from the "1 generation up" !!! 1 generation down wouldn't allow for the grandchildren in their 20s & 30s who enjoy bringing their young children along for holidays.
I suspect that for many families by the time grandchildren are in their 20's etc grandad and grandma are getting on a bit and have tactically passed the caravan down a generation so they are now the 1 generation up.
I think it would be relatively rare for 4 generations of a family to be classed as the responsible occupiers of a caravan.
Old 26-08-2017, 19:31
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I suspect that for many families by the time grandchildren are in their 20's etc grandad and grandma are getting on a bit and have tactically passed the caravan down a generation so they are now the 1 generation up.
I think it would be relatively rare for 4 generations of a family to be classed as the responsible occupiers of a caravan.
Sorry but I disagree with your last statement! I feel a little insulted that you assume we are going to pass on our vans as we are getting 'on a bit'. We bough a new van 3 years ago and intend to enjoy it for the next 9 years. My husband is 70, I'm in my late 60's. there is no generation above us, and we certainly haven't tactically or otherwise passed on our caravan, down a generation. We have children and grandchildren ( so the one generation wouldn't work for us) my eldest granddaughter is a responsible 20 year old, who uses the van with her fiancÚ. If they had children that would be 4 generations there. Glad I'm not on the site that enforces the 'one up, on down' rule.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Last edited by Bells64; 26-08-2017 at 19:38.
Old 26-08-2017, 20:46
Supporting Member

Heather you are more than welcome to disagree, each to their own, as the saying goes.
But you are in the position exactly that I referred to where by technically passing the ownership down you would become the one generation up and the grandchildren would be the one generation down.
But it would be a boring world if all the sites were the same, or all the people on them.
We are all individuals with different preferences, hopefully choosing the right site for us and can spend many happy years enjoying our 'vans.
Old 26-08-2017, 23:11
Supporting Member

I agree with you Bells. We bought our static to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary 5 years ago and hope to enjoy it for a number of years to come. There are several folk older than us on the site. Its an owners site and lettings aren't allowed but family and friends can use our vans. We have children and adult grandchildren and a little great grand-daughter and hope that they will enjoy happy times there without the responsibility of maintenance, cleaning etc and the financial burden. We aren't allowed to pass ownership of our vans on to other family members and the owner must be the main user. I think we should get pleasurable use from the van for as long as we are fit to travel to and fro. I don't think that the younger folk would want the responsibility of a static for the sake of the few times they would be able to make use of it in their busy life.

Not sure how old is too old David. Although we have both lost our parents now so we are the top of 4 generations ourselves, we both have some very active aunts and uncles of our own left - and 1 great aunt who is very lively !!! If they had written themselves off when they were our age they would have missed out a lot on the lives they have enjoyed and are still enjoying. We definitely aren't going to hang up our walking boots or surrender our caravan until we are forced to.
Old 27-08-2017, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebells View Post
That system could be interesting on some parks where many owners are retired and their caravan purchase was a one-off luxury purchased with inheritances from the "1 generation up" !!! 1 generation down wouldn't allow for the grandchildren in their 20s & 30s who enjoy bringing their young children along for holidays.
__________________________________________________ _________________

Our site doesn't allow vans to be passed on to any relatives. We knew this before we purchased the van as it was clearly stated in the rules of the park. We got over that hurdle by asking the park if we could have the van in both mine and Christine's name, plus our son and daughter's names. That was agreed, so eliminating any future problem.
Old 27-08-2017, 12:19
Supporting Member

Bluebells, I'm not sure how old too old is either. I don't think I ever thought of it as an issue of age.
I was only responding to Arronbrooks comment on their site,that whilst supposedly it being an owners only site, does not appear to control it in any way.
The site I am on does seem to apply it's policy more as a close family members, who behave responsibly, are welcome.
The whole essence of the comments was about anyone choosing a site that works in a way that suits them and that they will be happy on. I think we would all suggest to someone thinking of buying a caravan that they pick the site first, for that reason.
As I said in a earlier post "to each their own"