Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Static Caravan Wanted

Static Caravan Wanted Are you looking to buy a satic caravan? Why not tell us?

Old 07-12-2015, 11:33
Departed Friend

it appears to me that the site owner acted responsibly.how many times on here have we had complaints that salesmen have given the impression that buyers could stay in their van more or less permanently just to get a sale.then the buyer has found that the park licence does not allow it.

Old 07-12-2015, 13:28

Regarding my preference to buy a higher spec older van, as opposed to a new lower spec is very subjective.

For me I like high quality and higher standards of van, a higher spec means better quality finishes, equipment and general build standard, also you lose so much on a new van too, so personally I forget the age and buy the best you can for money you got.

If new is important then that rules old older vans, but for me there are some fantastic immaculate high spec vans only a few years old, that would be my choice.

I like a van to be home from home more than a holiday van, and I have got that standard more so with higher spec vans, and would compromise on the age.
Old 07-12-2015, 13:28

My advice is have a good read of the gostatic reference hub
Old 07-12-2015, 18:47

I also prefer high spec vans to low spec vans and we bought a 1 year old top of the range Willerby at 15000 less than the recommended retail price for a new van of the same make and model. The only downside is when you are on a park with an age limit such as 15 years, for instance, you will only get a license for 14 years. If the van was 5 years old, you would only get a license for 10 years and so on.

If you have never owned a van before and you cannot be certain if you will like it, I would go for an older van, but if you have done it before and you know you will enjoy it, then I would go for a new van simply because you will have it longer before needing to change it. Of course, best of all is to find a site with no age limit on vans.
Old 07-12-2015, 20:19
Supporting Member

There is another factor to consider with buy new v used.
You may find your ideal park, perfect pitch available to you in an area you love.
If the park doesn't have any second hand caravans for sale, you may have little choice but to buy new.
I know I have read on here that some parks allow "bring ons ".
However, many do not and nor will they accept you buying a used caravan offsite, even via them.
It is often the case that the park has a nice pitch available, only for the siting of a new caravan.
Before we bought, we looked closely at a few parks who offered us a very nice pitch, but only if we bought new and at very inflated prices.
We eventually found the park, the pitch, bought from a caravan dealer, (one of three the park works with so plenty choice) paid all the fees, delivery etc. and ended up paying a sensible price that we were comfortable with.
Old 07-12-2015, 20:52

Almeria man, there comes a point when you have to bite the bullet and buy. My mantra is do your homework, but at some point you have to put your fears aside and go for it.
Old 07-12-2015, 22:12
Supporting Member

Can you remind us of the area where you want to buy?
You may find you get some suggestions that are helpful.
Old 08-12-2015, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigland2003 View Post
Almeria man, there comes a point when you have to bite the bullet and buy. My mantra is do your homework, but at some point you have to put your fears aside and go for it.
I realise you are right, my fears are not even based on what money we will potentially lose. We accept that whatever money we spend on a van we will more than likely never recover. I have never owned a caravan before myself but my parents owned one for many years....they actually started with a Bedford caravanette, the type with a pull-up roof, so I know the pitfalls.

What concerns me most of all and I also realise that nobody can give any assurances on this one, is the length of time we will have the van and the use we will get out of it. We are neither of us in the first flush of youth, our combined ages add up to 138. What would we do if we were unable to use the van e.g. through ill health?

So, buying an older van may make sense.....but how old....and how much do we spend.

Can you appreciate our dilemma?

Last edited by AlmeriaMan; 08-12-2015 at 16:36. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 08-12-2015, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Can you remind us of the area where you want to buy?
You may find you get some suggestions that are helpful.
As we live in the Blackpool area we have set ourselves a travelling (driving) limit of 3 hours
  • We DON'T want to let
  • We are not bothered about facilities
  • Pub/Shop within SHORT walking distance
Old 08-12-2015, 18:40

You may have to find a site that is adjacebt to a village or small town, our site has no facilities but we are in a village that is a tourist trap so it has all we need.