Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Static Caravan Wanted

Static Caravan Wanted Are you looking to buy a satic caravan? Why not tell us?

Old 08-12-2015, 20:47

We were in your position about a year ago, and hope our experience will help. We started by working out a budget a) Capital b) annual running costs. We then decided on area and distance from home an hour for us, we could not cope with your 3 hours. Then it was site, we already had one in mind which a friend had a van on. No facilities except Laundrette and an open air heated swimming pool. A good gastro pub 5 min walk away, small supermarket 2 miles away. We were lucky we dealt with the owner so no sales spiel and he even moved the van we selected to another plot which had just become vacant at no cost. We have a10 year licence and as we are in our mid seventies this will probably see us to the end of our static days. So set all your requirements out and research what vans are available on the different sites. And be prepared to compromise and know what you are prepared to compromise on. I probably am telling you what you already know but I hope it helps.
Emlyn

Old 08-12-2015, 21:04
Departed Friend

mid/west wales would be an area to consider.
Old 08-12-2015, 21:20

Hello again and good to have you back on here. I would love to sit you down, look at what you want, and draw up a short list of parks for you, but I'm so busy I rarely get chance to see my family let alone spend half a day with you. If you are happy to travel to south lakes once the worst of winter is over il gladly clear my diary for a few hours to talk you through the pitfalls of ownership.
I'm thrilled you are doing your homework, just a tad frustrated you have not got fixed up!!
Old 08-12-2015, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigland2003 View Post
Hello again and good to have you back on here. I would love to sit you down, look at what you want, and draw up a short list of parks for you, but I'm so busy I rarely get chance to see my family let alone spend half a day with you. If you are happy to travel to south lakes once the worst of winter is over il gladly clear my diary for a few hours to talk you through the pitfalls of ownership.
I'm thrilled you are doing your homework, just a tad frustrated you have not got fixed up!!
Now that sounds like an offer you cant refuse...you will learn more in an hour than months on your own....
Sometimes though the search is part of the fun
Old 09-12-2015, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1950 View Post
mid/west wales would be an area to consider.
North Wales is/was on our radar......mid/west Wales......I'm not so sure.
Old 09-12-2015, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadragon View Post
We were in your position about a year ago, and hope our experience will help. We started by working out a budget a) Capital b) annual running costs. We then decided on area and distance from home an hour for us, we could not cope with your 3 hours. Then it was site, we already had one in mind which a friend had a van on. No facilities except Laundrette and an open air heated swimming pool. A good gastro pub 5 min walk away, small supermarket 2 miles away. We were lucky we dealt with the owner so no sales spiel and he even moved the van we selected to another plot which had just become vacant at no cost. We have a10 year licence and as we are in our mid seventies this will probably see us to the end of our static days. So set all your requirements out and research what vans are available on the different sites. And be prepared to compromise and know what you are prepared to compromise on. I probably am telling you what you already know but I hope it helps.
Emlyn
Hey! Your experience has helped a lot. We have already done most of what you say but the budget has been a stick one. Originally we decided on an older van with a 10K budget but we just couldn't find anything. Ideally we don't want to travel 3 hours but 1 hour wouldn't get us very far.......south lakes if I put my foot down.

You've certainly made us more focused and open to compromise.
Old 09-12-2015, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigland2003 View Post
Sir, I would be delighted to take you up on your offer and as you say, let's get the winter over and I will contact you and we can go from there.

You really are very kind.
Old 09-12-2015, 13:52
Supporting Member

Sounds like a great plan AlmeriaMan. I think a chat with Bigland would settle any "demons" and make you feel more comfortable in making a decision to buy.
Old 09-12-2015, 16:15
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmeriaMan View Post
North Wales is/was on our radar......mid/west Wales......I'm not so sure.
We must point out that some parts are a bit soggy at the moment in mid Wales .
Could not believe the flooding Welshpool and Montgomery way as we drove home last week. The week before we did Bala and Llangollen area and it was dryish. So we are waiting for the sign of no rain and we are off again.
Old 09-12-2015, 19:57

A three hour drive would be a killer for me, to be honest. Personally I would limit it to no more than 2 hours. We live in Wigan and we can make it up to the Lakes in two hours, so it shouldn't be too bad from Blackpool. There are quite a few sites in the Ribble Valley as well and the Yorkshire Dales which are within reasonable travelling distance of Blackpool. Our site is probably not suitable because it is a big company but there are several smaller parks in the area.

It's not just distance you need to consider but the amount of traffic on the roads you will be using. Some roads are a nightmare at certain times of day, but if you can travel outside of rush hour traffic then they're not too bad. My friend has a caravan in Wales and they travel very early in the morning long before the rush hour starts. We could not do that so it ruled North Wales out for us because I didn't fancy sitting in traffic jams on the M6 or M56 for hours like we have to when we take the cat to the University of Liverpool Veterinary Hospital near Chester. There's a very nice park near Kirkby Lonsdale called Woodclose Park and one near Ingleton called Riverside Park. I don't know their site fees.