Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 13-05-2015, 21:40

Firefly I'm sorry to hear about your cat. It's heartbreaking when we have to make these decisions. Your pets become part of your family and when you have to make a decision like this it's hard. In your heart of hearts you know you have made the right one as it's not good to watch them suffer and they can't tell us how they feel. I always think, would I want to suffer like that and go through that without having a guarantee at the end. Sending you a big hug firefly

Old 14-05-2015, 18:40

Thank you. I know deep down I did the right thing for her but my grief is doing weird things to my mind.
Old 18-05-2015, 13:06

A couple on our site have two cats;they stay in the van with a adjustable fence like arrangement across the door.
They both go out on leads several times a day and have become the stars of the site!

Jim
Old 19-07-2015, 20:36

We've just spent our first weekend at our new caravan and took the cat with us.

It's about an hour and a half from our house to the van and he coped with the journey well. We bought a large cage to put in the car so he could move around a bit and there was room for some food and water in dishes.

At the van he was fine and liked exploring inside. Her indoors bought a cat harness and took him for a walk around the park. He adapted to that quite quickly. We wouldn't dream of letting him out to wander!

All in all it wasn't a problem taking the cat. To be honest he's part of the family so it wouldn't have been the same without him

It was the first night I'd spent in a static since the 1960s when my late parents had a van at Reighton Gap on the east coast of Yorkshire. I used to have great times as a kid and this weekend was hugely enjoyable and comfortable. I've a feeling that this van is going to get some serious use!

Best wishes to all!
Old 20-07-2015, 19:10
Departed Friend

glad to hear all went well.so you,re hooked already,and i,m sure the cat will soon be as well.i know our 2 dogs like the van more than the house.
Old 20-07-2015, 20:32
Supporting Member

i'm glad the cat enjoyed the trip to the van
we took our 4 to the van and 1 of them was always sick and the other! in the cat box but fine once we got to the van x

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 21-07-2015, 15:18

We got home yesterday, after a 4 night stay.

Took both cats, returned with one (as usual) When we arrive we just open the cages & let them go. The older one (15 years) doesn't go far, and is usually curled up inside by late afternoon.
The feral tom does his own thing, and we see him when he decides

As he didn't appear as we were leaving, I took my Wife, older cat & all the gubbins home and had to return later. Of course he was waiting nearby to be fed, so grabbed him by the scruff and drove back again.

What has helped with the poo-gate saga, is the purchase of a medium sized dog cage, which gives him lots more room in the event of ......... All we need now is a long wheelbase Land Rover Defender to take all the cages, boxes, cold bags, clothes bags, clean bedding etc etc
Old 25-07-2015, 15:58

I second the small dog crate for travelling to the van. We had problems with two of the cats pooping in their carriers both there and back, plus one of them always vomited. The larger cage that fits a litter tray as well as a bed has put an end to the vomiting completely, so he must have been claustrophobic and not travel sick. They rarely poop in the litter tray provided either just every now and again so travelling with the windows open to get rid of the stink isn't necessary anymore. I'm also saving a fortune on those puppy pads I used to line their carriers because they're not messing on them.

I've also bought a harness and lead that is worn in the cage so I can lift the cat out and walk him to the caravan without having to lift the larger cage out of the car. I have tried walking one of them around the caravan using the harness and lead but I'm dragging him rather than walking him.
Old 25-07-2015, 20:45

I can't take any credit for the purchase, my Wife has been banging on for ages about trying one, but as usual, she's right

The older cat has never been a problem, she could sleep on a washing line if needs must, but the Feral really got stressed and it was becoming worrying.

The only problems we have now, is to catch them when we both leave for the van and leave for home (haven't perfected those yet )
Old 26-07-2015, 01:03

I decided to buy the dog cage because one of them has constant diarrhoea and he was standing in it. Both he and I were getting fed up with bathing him at the end of every journey. I was getting desperate to find a solution. It was a purchase driven by hope which paid off thankfully. One weekend I didn't bring him with us so I put the other cat in his cage, that's when I discovered that he didn't vomit or poop either. I wish I had thought if it sooner. I was convinced the vomiting was travel sickness, I would never have guessed that he was claustrophobic in the cage because he's a cat that likes to sleep under covers which is a confined space, although he can still get out whenever he wants to, but he can't in a cage so he must feel trapped in an average sized carrier.