Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Insurance

Insurance Discussion about all issues related to static caravan insurance, from which insurer to how best to make a claim.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:57
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Default Flood insurance

APOLOGIES FOR STARTING ANOTHER INSURANCE THREAD! But this is REALLY IMPORTANT

After today's flooding, please check the wording on your policy for flood cover., apparently, some with Other insurance companies may not be covered on my site!

The wording on MY policy with Leisuredays...

Extensive all risk annual policy. including Accidental damage, Fire, Theft, Storm and Flood.

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'

Last edited by Angela B; 05-01-2014 at 11:09.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela B View Post

After today's flooding, please check the wording on your policy for flood cover., apparently, some with Other insurance companies may not be covered

Extensive all risk annual policy. including Accidental damage, Fire, Theft, Storm and Flood.
Can see where you are coming from Anj...and check also whether they have a clause about flotation devices being fitted
Old 05-01-2014, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela B View Post

After today's flooding, please check the wording on your policy for flood cover., apparently, some with Other insurance companies may not be covered

hi Angela the wording in mine is flood or storm is 'cover excluded unless securely storm anchored on all four corners of chassis or fitted with an approved floatation device'. It is secured down on four corners from the chassis by steel cable. I'm hoping thats ok but I'm still anxious. Has anyone experienced difficulty with this when claiming ? Sunnydays
Old 05-01-2014, 02:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
hi Angela the wording in mine is flood or storm is 'cover excluded unless securely storm anchored on all four corners of chassis or fitted with an approved floatation device'.
I've always wondered about the anchoring down, which can be a crucial point. Some sites use cables and others chains, are they both equal in strength and what does the insurance company require? Also I have seen loads of caravans sited where the chains are not secured to the caravans designed holding down / anchorage points on the chassis, as the hooks or eyes that are maybe concreted in the caravans base are often no where near these points. So during a claim, if the insurance company is not happy about the chaining down of the van being secured properly, should you be responsible for this or the company that sited it?

Also, on a site I nearly purchased a caravan, the owner told me that the insurance company the site used did not specify that the caravans needed to be chained down on there site, but do believe the same insurance company did specify it on some other sites it insured caravans.

What with this terrible weather we are now seeing, how long could it be before caravan insurance becomes difficult to purchase in what is seen as a high risk area?

Hopefully, all those that have suffered any damage to there caravans during this weather will have no trouble with claims, but do think this recent weather should be a wake up call and more clarification needs requiring for possible future events, because in my opinion there are a lot of grey areas that need exploring.

Most importantly, stay safe everyone and feel for those that have had there caravans damaged.

Last edited by Cylon; 05-01-2014 at 02:48.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:18

As always lets hope nobody has to claim but those who have to...get their probs sorted without any hassle....As has been posted may times we only find out how good our Insurance company is when we come to claim...
Maybe Crosby will give an idea of how many claims countrywide are being dealt with
Old 05-01-2014, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
As always lets hope nobody has to claim but those who have to...get their probs sorted without any hassle....As has been posted may times we only find out how good our Insurance company is when we come to claim...
Maybe Crosby will give an idea of how many claims countrywide are being dealt with
Perhaps Crosby is "flooded" with calls he has no time.......

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 05-01-2014, 12:42

Default Insurance cover

Unfortunately we are all in the hands of other people at times like this and just have to hope that we have made the right insurance choice. When we took out our first insurance on purchasing at the end of 2011, it was suggested by the site that we should take out insurance through their recommended insurer and were told that the following year all vans had to be insured through that company or pay a 35 fee for checking the insurance if insured differently.
Needless to say it didn't happen and the person who made the statement has since "moved on". Don't even think that there are checks to confirm that all are insured. Fortunately from other reports it seems that we should be OK but I'll still be checking the insurance again and even though we're not by the sea, our inland lakes flooded last year and we were grateful that the van was raised off the ground, especially when we had a phone call from the site saying that if we intended visiting to bring our wellingtons!
Best wishes to all but especially to those who are experiencing problems due to the weather.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:27
Forum Advertiser

Morning Everyone,

First chance I've had to respond, apart from a torrential downpour last night the North East seems to have avoided the worst of the weather.

The vast majority of our polices include cover for Flood and Storm Damage and there is no clause that states you have to be anchored.

We do however occasionally sell policies that carry an extra flood excess and you do have to be anchored, this would be made very clear at the point of taking out the policy and would be stated on the Policy Documents, generally these are on sites that have a significant risk of flooding due to flooding on more than one occasion in the past.

I receive monthly updates on claims and should receive details of Decembers in the coming days and will update when I have the details.

If anyone who is already insured with Crosby have any questions regarding their policy please contact me and I'll be happy to discuss, also any non Crosby Customers I would recommend that you all check your policy to make sure you have the correct cover even if you are in an area that is not affected by the recent floods it could easily move to any area of the country.

Stay Safe

Paul
Old 06-01-2014, 10:27
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby Insurance Brokers View Post
Morning Everyone,

First chance I've had to respond, apart from a torrential downpour last night the North East seems to have avoided the worst of the weather.

The vast majority of our polices include cover for Flood and Storm Damage and there is no clause that states you have to be anchored.

We do however occasionally sell policies that carry an extra flood excess and you do have to be anchored, this would be made very clear at the point of taking out the policy and would be stated on the Policy Documents, generally these are on sites that have a significant risk of flooding due to flooding on more than one occasion in the past.

I receive monthly updates on claims and should receive details of Decembers in the coming days and will update when I have the details.

If anyone who is already insured with Crosby have any questions regarding their policy please contact me and I'll be happy to discuss, also any non Crosby Customers I would recommend that you all check your policy to make sure you have the correct cover even if you are in an area that is not affected by the recent floods it could easily move to any area of the country.

Stay Safe

Paul

Thanks Paul, as you say, check wording, as policies differ, mine stipulates that anchoring must be in place.

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'
Old 06-01-2014, 10:42

Thanks for the update Paul...
From what has happened with the storms etc.some flooding at least twice this year it would appear that some site will be re classified at flood risk.
If I was a betting man I would suggest that the no excess policy will be a thing of the past in certain areas