Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:25
Supporting Member

Default hot dog a foot

hello, just had our first weekend away with the new decking on the front of our van, looks real good, we are in wales and saturday having cleaned the deck from the install snow from the cutting and finger prints etc, wiped the floor and mopped up the overnight rain all seemed good, however the sun soon came out and we positioned our chairs to maximise the sun, all was good, we put the dogs beds under our chairs in the shade and the day was great, however in the afternoon the sun was getting quite strong, and we noticed the floor was getting quite hot to walk on and ok it was easy to put the croc's on and we were fine but the dogs as they do kept wandering around interested in passers by and soon we noticed that they must be feeling the heat in their pads, has anyone else come across this and has anyone got any suggestions, we collected all the rugs door mats up we could but could only cover a small area, i was thinking some sort of carpet but we would need to get this in and store in the rain, like i said wales so carpet would need to be stored more than rolled out !! or astroturf grass but not sure if this would get as hot as the plastic decking in the sun ? and also water drainage from the rain to the sun coming out ?? any suggestions anyone ??

Last edited by missionblue22; 11-07-2017 at 10:38.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:43
Supporting Member

We have timber decking, so not quite the same problem with the decking getting too hot to walk on.
However, the dog gets hot in the sun anyway and has to keep moving into the shade.
What we did get though, is a roll of fleece type pet blanket ( Vetbed I seem to recall ) and it can be rolled out on the deck. It would keep your dog's paws from getting too hot over a given area at least. It washes well, dries quickly and rolls up for storage, although to be honest, I cut off a large square and the dog lies on it inside the van looking out the patio windows.
Old 11-07-2017, 13:31
Supporting Member

hi, indeed we have some of the bedding and we put under the deckchairs and in the shade when we get ti later in the day, the problem is we have 3 dogs and they all get up and let any passers by ( or the odd rogue squirrel ) know they are being watched, and so end up in the heat, does your wooden decking not get hot ? ours is the plastic type, so i thought the astroturf would be ok laid on top, not sure if that would get warm ?? or maybe some of the wooden deck tiles laid on top ?? has anyone got astroturf or the wooden deck tiles do they get hot, its for the dogs pads as in the papers there have been some horrific stories of blistered pads from walking on hot footpaths etc etc
Old 11-07-2017, 15:06

You have now solved a mystery for me. When walking in the Lakes area we have occasionally seen doggies wearing little leather/fabric bootees. At home sometimes we might see one with a bandaged foot or a makedo bootie. But these have matching set on all 4 feet. NOW I know that they are to protect their feet from the hot ground and the grit. Another bit of my memory space now taken up..............and I haven't even got a dog !!
Old 11-07-2017, 16:47

Hello
We have artificial grass at home and it gets very hot .
How about some cheap runners so you can roll them back up x
Old 11-07-2017, 21:07
Supporting Member

Hi, I have a small child's inflatable paddling pool for my jack russel which he loves (3 at Wilkes ). I have seen them with an inflatable sun shade on them approx 8 at B&M, I put a couple of inches of water in with a few balls and he spends hours trying to get the balls out, they Bob under the water like apple dunking, just a thought!!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:55

what colour is your deck. Ours is in full sun and doesn't feel hot. The black rattan is another matter.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 13-07-2017, 08:18
Supporting Member

thanks for that info, the artificial grass getting hot, and i am sure it would hold some water between the grass blades so wet feet always after it rains thanks
Old 13-07-2017, 08:22
Supporting Member

that sounds nice but we have 3 dogs i am sure there would be pandemonium and wet chases through the van with one getting the others ball and sometimes its like watching pinball with them bouncing off sofas etc we do have a stream flowing past the site where we take them for a dunk in the hot weather and then they der off in their pen outside if its too hot
Old 13-07-2017, 08:28
Supporting Member

the decking colour is light, i can not decide if its light grey or a feint sage green depends on the light in sun its sage in cloud its grey, it was extremely sunny and i suppose in wales we will only get half a dozen days like that, i have investigated further and have found some carpet that is made in the same way as the artificial grass but instead of grass blades it is more like a dish washing scourer on top of the base layer so would drain better and can be laid on anything, it is also cheaper than the grass and comes in colours, green terracotta grey sand cream it is only 39 so may well try it and see how it fares, in both how hot it gets and how well it drains after the rain, i will post how i get on with it