Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 04-07-2018, 15:16

Default Kelling Heath

Just wondering if there are any members sited at Kelling Heath and if so, if they love it as much as I do?

Old 05-07-2018, 09:25

I don't know the park but checking some of the van prices, they seem to be quite high. The Swift Loire, which is one of the cheaper models, and I must say it's the only price I have checked, is for sale at list price from Swift at 26,755 GBP. Sited on the park, Which I take it, is situated in North Norfolk, is retailing at 49,995 GBP. 23,240 GBP over list price not taking into account the discount that the park would receive. Very expensive. If you are on the park, you really do need to be enjoying yourself because they are really hammering that price. https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/holiday-homes/loire
Old 05-07-2018, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
I don't know the park but checking some of the van prices, they seem to be quite high. The Swift Loire, which is one of the cheaper models, and I must say it's the only price I have checked, is for sale at list price from Swift at 26,755 GBP. Sited on the park, Which I take it, is situated in North Norfolk, is retailing at 49,995 GBP. 23,240 GBP over list price not taking into account the discount that the park would receive. Very expensive. If you are on the park, you really do need to be enjoying yourself because they are really hammering that price. https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/holiday-homes/loire
Unless you are going to site the caravan on a private piece of land you can forget list price. All caravan parks will add at least 20,000 to that, plus siting, site fees, steps and in the case of Haven, the outside light.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:17

Yes the new vans are quite expensive however I was fortunate in managing to buy an ex-hire fleet van at what seems to be the going rate for the model and age and when already on site. I was also able to chose the plot I wanted as the van came from their sister site on the actual coast. One of the benefits that I have found in buying an ex-hire fleet van (which is in very good condition) is that the site were able to go through 'snagging' and therefore address any issues without me having to pay - something which if buying from a private person would not have been offered. I love the van and the site - and the plot I chose.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevennais View Post
Unless you are going to site the caravan on a private piece of land you can forget list price. All caravan parks will add at least 20,000 to that, plus siting, site fees, steps and in the case of Haven, the outside light.
That is not correct. Some parks add considerably less, quite a lot add around half of that. The price I quoted was almost 30,000 more which is stated quite clearly on their website. I think that's expensive but just my opinion.

I paid around 10,000 to have my lodge on Fold House park and that was fully sited with TV ariel fitted, outside tap, steps, until my decking was completed, Gas stand with automatic change over and two 47Kl of gas. Everything in place on a proper concrete plinth with a concrete parking place included. All roads are properly made up. No gravel roads all tarmacadam.

It depends on which site you go on. I do accept that the larger parks that are owned by large companies, may charge a lot more.

Last edited by Mosquito; 07-07-2018 at 11:10.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Not View Post
Yes the new vans are quite expensive however I was fortunate in managing to buy an ex-hire fleet van at what seems to be the going rate for the model and age and when already on site. I was also able to chose the plot I wanted as the van came from their sister site on the actual coast. One of the benefits that I have found in buying an ex-hire fleet van (which is in very good condition) is that the site were able to go through 'snagging' and therefore address any issues without me having to pay - something which if buying from a private person would not have been offered. I love the van and the site - and the plot I chose.
Everyone has an opinion whether a van/park is expensive, whether somebody else has got a deal or paid over the odds.
If you love the van, love the park, and are getting enjoyment from it - then you got a bargain - regardless of ow much you paid.
If you are unhappy, and not enjoying it, then you paid over the odds - regardless of how cheap it was.
A park home - holiday or residential - is a lifestyle choice, not an investment, so all that matters is what it is worth to you, personally.
Old 08-07-2018, 00:21

When I was looking for a sited pre-owned static I found it really difficult to get parks to give figures that I could compare. I had a limited budget and some important special family needs to be catered for. I didn't even know that some vans were sold "off pitch" and then sited and extra costs added. Called and e mailed loads of sites (from Scarborough to Anglesey) with very little response. Had no idea that most sites had age limits on vans. Only 3 parks actually took the time to listen to my questions and told me to ring or e mail as many times as I liked. I had several e mails and phone conversations with the owner of the park we are on now and he invited us to visit the site for a chat. He wanted to help and to stop us falling into trouble due to lack of experience. We took up his offer and he was extremely helpful and honest with his information and answers to our questions. He didn't press us to buy at all. The price he quoted included everything - van, pitch, safety check and gas bottles etc. and we had a list of other costs for annual rent, rates, insurance etc. for the following year. We knew there and then whether we could comfortably afford it and were completely at ease. In our 6th year now and we are just as happy with our decision as we were in the beginning. I agree that different people want different things.........and some can afford to pay enormous amounts each year to get what they want and they feel that its worth it for them rather than feel they haven't quite got it right. Others pay too much and get things they don't need or use. Some find they have overstretched their pockets after the first couple of years and end us forfeiting their dream. We aren't all the same but at the end of the day its a luxury. We don't have to buy and we probably don't actually need it..............but its worth what its worth to each of us. In our case we didn't want entertainments etc. Just peace and quiet in peaceful surroundings. We think the fees we pay are fair. Others may not feel they are. But we don't pay for things we will never use either. We are happy.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:33

fbh and Bluebells, I think you have said it all. Of course, it's down to what individuals want and can afford. I just balk at some of the ridiculous prices that some parks charge for vans. I like to pay a fair price for what I buy. As long as you are on the park where you want to be with the facilities you want and pay the price that you are personally happy with, that's all that matters.
Old 08-07-2018, 16:42
Supporting Member

Good grief, what a racket charging that over & above!
I purchased my new swift burgundy 2 berth with all the extras off our site, but was the list price, and I believe the site had 15% commission out of the price, then I was charged an additional 1k to include a new concrete base & siting, all in all, 32k last year, Very happy especially with this hot weather! Only it had sky lights to let the heat escape
Old 09-07-2018, 12:49

From posting what I thought was just a simple, general enquiry to see if anyone else was on the same site as me seems to have completely gone off at a tangent and changed direction and is now focused on the amount sites sell new caravans for. Not what I was trying to open up a discussion on. I'm a newbie to static caravan ownership and was just curious about other owners sited near by.