Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 14-08-2018, 19:21

Default Need Advice on 2 subjects please

Hi All

Firstly this is our first static and in November we have to vacate until March 1st every year. We travel then in our motorhome into Europe so we have nowhere to store the things we cannot take with us i.e some clothes, curtains, couple of feather quilts etc

We will be opening all the wardrobe doors etc and using the throw away dehumidifiers and the faithful bowls of salt but has anyone any tried and tested tips for us to use please.

Secondly, we are finding a lot of small spiders mainly on the ceiling. I realise we have had a very hot summer so this may have contributed to an abundance of these creatures, does anyone know what deters them. Conkers do not work, we have tried that. I have been told peppermint oil does but does it.
Anyone have a remedy please.

Thanks

Dave

Old 15-08-2018, 13:31
Supporting Member

Hi, sounds to me that Vacumm bags would be ideal for you. Will keep all your gear clean and dry.
Littlefb
Old 15-08-2018, 19:20

Thumbs up

Thanks littlefb

Now anyone with spider advice....these are mainly very small spiders
Old 15-08-2018, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMotorhomer View Post
Thanks littlefb

Now anyone with spider advice....these are mainly very small spiders
New hatchlings. There was probably a nest hidden in a corner.
They'll gradually disperse, either by normal movement or by being eaten by slightly larger hatchlings. Or, as they grow, they can be manually evicted.
Never found anything that acts as a deterrent - although must admit I have never tried deterring them - the ones that spin webs in ridiculous places (like across the doorway) or dangle immediately above the bed get put outside, the others can stay.

Incidentally, you can get hanging vacuum-pack bags for clothes that you want to leave on the hangers. Wilko sell them.
Old 15-08-2018, 21:00

Thanks

Dave
Old 15-08-2018, 23:16
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMotorhomer View Post
Hi All

Firstly this is our first static and in November we have to vacate until March 1st every year. We travel then in our motorhome into Europe so we have nowhere to store the things we cannot take with us i.e some clothes, curtains, couple of feather quilts etc

We will be opening all the wardrobe doors etc and using the throw away dehumidifiers and the faithful bowls of salt but has anyone any tried and tested tips for us to use please.

Secondly, we are finding a lot of small spiders mainly on the ceiling. I realise we have had a very hot summer so this may have contributed to an abundance of these creatures, does anyone know what deters them. Conkers do not work, we have tried that. I have been told peppermint oil does but does it.
Anyone have a remedy please.

Thanks

Dave
hi, IMO, i agree with the vacuum pack bags, quite well sealed, we use them for quilts, bedding soft furnishings etc, stand mattresses on edge in middle of the room, yes open all the doors, cupboards etc, remove all food etc, there is a well read post on winterising a van for the closed season which gives all the top tips, not sure the throw away dehumidifiers are cost effective, i purchased 10 canisters plastic with vent tops and a tray for the crystals on eBay, also bulk purchased 5 x 5kg (i think ) of crystals for around 24 i use them both in the winter, and summer as warm air has more moisture so use the whole year round, i have after 14 months just opened the first of the 5kg bags having used up the small bags that came with the canisters, screwfix sell the canisters at a very similar price to eBay ??, i have a couple of them plug in electronic insect repellers, not sure but my daughter retcons there are lots less spiders this year, i recon she might be right, less spiders but more flies, um sounds about right, i have always thought the peppermint oil keeps wasps at bay ? i have not tried this but will be on the lookout for some next shopping trip, enjoy your new van, use the moisture traps all year as its the curtains and carpets that will soak up the moisture and start that musty smell, and that is very hard to get rid of for the sake of a few quid,
Old 16-08-2018, 11:31

Wink

First of all thank you sooo much for the info missionblue22
that is a great help.
Someone posted about Wilko's vacuum bags, but on reading the reviews on these it seems many of them are faulty and do not keep the air out. What brand do you use.

With regard to the disposable dehumidifiers, I get 25 of them for only 15 (60p each) and not the usual price of 1 each so are quite cost effective. But take on board your slatted top variety (we have used these in the motorhome). I will also be placing numerous bowls of salt around too.

We will be removing all the food from the static and taking it with us in the motorhome.

Dave
Old 16-08-2018, 12:47
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi, you might find some useful tips in here. Happy travels!

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3064

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'
Old 16-08-2018, 12:55

The moisture traps may not work so well in very cold weather when the van is unheated - but if there is nobody inside washing/cooking/breathing there will not be nearly so much moisture in the air anyway.
Most important thing is to make sure that any ventilation systems (air vents or trickle vents in windows) are open to keep a small crossflow of air going; many people close or block the vents to remove draughts, so if you have done that, make sure they are open/unblocked before you go.
Show homes (holiday and residential) can sit on site for many months before they are occupied, usually with curtains and display furniture, they do not have the heating on or moisture traps inside, and they never seem to have any problems caused by being empty.
Air the van out well before you go, make sure air can circulate around and behind furniture and curtains, use bags to keep dust (and spiders) off the bedding, and it should be fine.
We never had any problem with Wilko bags, but that was many years ago, we don't use vacuum bags now - so maybe their standards have deteriorated over the years. Sorry.
Old 16-08-2018, 14:36
Supporting Member

We've had our static 7 winters (and had a tourer for 6 years before that) and have never used any sort of dehumidifier - and never had any sign of damp. Most of the moisture you notice when are using the 'van is there because you are! (breathing, cooking, etc produce large amounts of moisture). When you're not there the air in the 'van has the same humidity as outside (and always will have, not matter how many moisture traps you use - the ventilation ensures that), and the internal temperature will be around the same as outside (if there's a difference, it'll be a little warmer inside) so you don't get condensation.