Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:47

Default first time buyer

hi all, me & my family are looking to buy a used static caravan mostly for use for ourselves in the north yorkshire area. does anyone have anyone usefull tips on which caravan what to buy & not what to buy ?

Old 08-05-2012, 07:50
Retired Member

hi wlcome to the forum , i dont know much about the sites in yorkshire tho have been there in lodges , someone will be along who can help with van info i am sure ,
Old 08-05-2012, 10:50
Banned

Smogmonster. Yorkshire is a lovely County and there are lots of sites to look at so good luck with your search and I hope you find exactly what your looking for.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22
Administrator

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's hard to say which to buy and which not to buy as most a relativly similar and it is the smaller details that make the difference to whether you like a van or not.

Even things like the layout of the kitchen, seating postion etc can put you off of a van even if you like the model itself.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to work out the basics, such as your budget, size of van (i'd go with 12ft over 10ft as it really makes the difference for me), number of beds/rooms and then find the parks you are interested in a check out the vans that fit all of the above 'basics'.

It will probably then come down to the feel which as I said comes down to you and how you like things.

If you have any specific questions about any vans fire away

ps,

just to add, (and taking your thread to it's limits) don't 'buy into' what the sales staff tell you. If it's right for you, you will know

Follow us on Twitter (Info)
Old 08-05-2012, 12:01

BUDGET-FINANACE OR CASH-FUEL COSTS IN GETTING TO THE VAN, SITE FEES, RATES, FUEL BILLS, INSURANCE.

SITE-CHECK OUT SITES THAT ARE WITHIN THE DISTANCE YOU WANT TO TRAVEL. PLEASE ASK OTHER VAN OWNERS, USE YOUR EYES, IS THE SITE HAVING WORK DONE (SITE FEES COULD BE GOING UP), IS THERE A LOT OF VANS FOR SALE, IS THERE EMPTY PLOTS ETC.

PITCH-MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO END UP FACING A BRICKWALL OR CARPARK.

VAN-SO MANY MAKES AND MODELS, TAKE YOUR TIME AND SIT IN THEM, PRETEND TO HAVE A SHOWER, DRY YOURSELF, PRETEND TO COOK. CAN YOU MOVE AROUND OKAY?

Then you can go with a plan to get what you want.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
BERT the Gostatic mascot-RIP 2012. Fare well faithful defender of our static
Old 08-05-2012, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smogmonster1973 View Post
hi all, me & my family are looking to buy a used static caravan mostly for use for ourselves in the north yorkshire area. does anyone have anyone usefull tips on which caravan what to buy & not what to buy ?
to the forum, a bit obvious - but don't over stretch youself and take your time - It is worth it

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 08-05-2012, 20:56

welcome to the forum,the info on here is priceless. as stated,do your homework and stick to your budget,look at the future aswell should one of you lose your job or your income changes as your outgoings won't.ask what is included in the price as some sites will offer this years rent in with the price,some might offer free gas bottle etc,look at private sales aswell as from the site as private sales sometimes are the best buy as the van will come kitted out saving you the job and some money.if you go private find out what the commission is and who pays it. I could go on and on but will let someone else add their bit. good luck with your search but most of all.......take your time !!.
Old 08-05-2012, 23:23
Retired Member

Hi Smogmonster and welcome.

Have to admit when I first read your name I thought it said Snogmonster lol

Some excellent advice on here already.

I would visit as many sites as possible and, without any sales people breathing down your neck, talk to as many owners as possible. I would also suggest staying at the park (if you can) to get a feel for what it is like and that will give you an opportunity to find out what the owners think of the place too. Parks that have rentals can often be very busy during school holidays. Ask about historical site fee increases too and make sure you can comfortably afford any future increases.

Before signing anything, get everything and I mean everything is writing - i.e. how long you can keep your van on site, anything that is included in the sales price, any repairs that have been agreed in the price, etc. etc. and anything else that you have agreed that is important to you. Ask to see a copy of the Licence Agreement and Park Rules and have a good read through before agreeing to buy a van.

As Darren says, don't believe everything that the sales staff tell you either!

It is best to get the right van to start with as upgrading it at a later date can be very costly.

There is so much I could tell you too - there's loads of threads on here about buying a caravan - might take you a while to read them all, but well worth it.

If you have any questions or concerns, just give us a shout - someone on here will be able to help.
Old 17-05-2012, 09:37

Send a message via MSN to Bobsnobs Send a message via Skype™ to Bobsnobs

Hi
Check out this informative new thread our Moderator Angie put together.
This should help you when searching for your new van and site.

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4201