Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 06-11-2017, 22:48

Default Winterising your own caravan - Floe 868

Hi

I am a new member who has owned a caravan for only a few months.

This website has been great!

My biggest gripe since buying the caravan is the winter drain down. My site is open all year but everyone drains down from mid Nov through to mid March - thats a third of the year.

Been doing a lot of research and Floe 868 looks a godsend!!! Its only about to get its proper release.

It enables owners to use their properties throughout the year. Improvements in the system mean that it is no longer necessary to leave the caravan to control and monitor an external compressor. Instead, the integrated unit will automatically stop at the correct pressure and restart after each outlet is drained. Tests with OEMs and fleet companies have shown that it is possible to fully drain a touring caravan in four minutes and a lodge in five.

Is anyone using this system or tried it ????!!!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:58

I was really interested in the floe 868 when it was first shown what seems like years ago. Finally it has appeared on their website for sale, but unfortunately it’s to late for us this season. It is also a lot more expensive than when it was first talked about. Whilst I was waiting on it being available and after much googling I found small 240v compressors that were regulated to 10-15 psi and all you need is a non return valve and a bit if tubing. All could be bought for at least £100 cheaper than what floe are charging, so I might just make my own for next year.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by portrush View Post
Hi

I am a new member who has owned a caravan for only a few months.

This website has been great!

My biggest gripe since buying the caravan is the winter drain down. My site is open all year but everyone drains down from mid Nov through to mid March - thats a third of the year.

Been doing a lot of research and Floe 868 looks a godsend!!! Its only about to get its proper release.

It enables owners to use their properties throughout the year. Improvements in the system mean that it is no longer necessary to leave the caravan to control and monitor an external compressor. Instead, the integrated unit will automatically stop at the correct pressure and restart after each outlet is drained. Tests with OEMs and fleet companies have shown that it is possible to fully drain a touring caravan in four minutes and a lodge in five.

Is anyone using this system or tried it ????!!!
Yes I got one last year (customer loyalty priority as I have bought things from them previously) best thing I ever bought ! I drain down every time I leave now it takes 5 mins. Topps ! I use my van all year so it was well worth it's price ! As my park charges £85 every drain down !
Old 07-11-2017, 11:28

Sounds like an advert that Portrush . when away from the van our insurance dictates that we must drain down from 1st Nov to 15 th March , so if we want to go over winter we will have to drain up & down again , takes about half an hour to drain down using a standard floe device and a car tyre compressor , but now the 868 is out I will be getting one of these just to save me being in and out of the van when it's raining , I will still have to go under decking to open the drain offs but it should be quicker and easier using the 868. If you don't drain down then you risk the pipes icing up and splitting so best to just accept it needs doing.
Old 07-11-2017, 13:14
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sparky View Post
I was really interested in the floe 868 when it was first shown what seems like years ago. Finally it has appeared on their website for sale, but unfortunately itís to late for us this season. It is also a lot more expensive than when it was first talked about. Whilst I was waiting on it being available and after much googling I found small 240v compressors that were regulated to 10-15 psi and all you need is a non return valve and a bit if tubing. All could be bought for at least £100 cheaper than what floe are charging, so I might just make my own for next year.
i read on here about blowing the air through the water system using a compressor, i found the original floe device and did not like the idea of my wife out in the rain pumping away blowing the air through whilst i was doing the taps inside, so i got myself a small compressor, some tubing and fittings, i did go over the top as i also got myself an outside tap that i made disconnect from the water supply and fit my air system to that feed, once set up it drains the system well, and any last bit of water left is either by the drain off point or would not cause any issues as taps would be left open and water disconnected at the main tap, i spent £135 but got an outside tap and a small compressor to use if i need in the summer at home, where as the floe device would be fitted to the caravan and left in place, i perhaps understand if using 12 months i probably would invest but our site closes mid dec till 1 march so 6 or 8 weekends ( no she still not retired ) i can fully drain for the winter and if needed in march, i watch the weather like a hawk and its not been too bad this november but march can catch people out i think, thats what i did and i think it will save me a bit over the next few years. i have had various 500 litre and 200 litre compressors over the years and even have a 200 litre one in my shed now that feeds air pipe around my sheds and garage to use all of my air tools i have always purchased ABAC compressors and never had any problems so i sourced a 6 litre mini set up that works a treat, i am not advertising ABAC its just over 37 years i have never had an issue. this season soon be over.....
Old 07-11-2017, 13:41

Draining down this weekend. Going to install the basic floe system, The video says pressurise to 30psi but what does everyone do??
Old 07-11-2017, 14:36
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmf View Post
Draining down this weekend. Going to install the basic floe system, The video says pressurise to 30psi but what does everyone do??
it all depends on your water supply pressure, floe say 30 PSI as thats what mains pressure should be, but if you got old and added to plumbing i would go with a cautious 20 to 25 psi, push fit fittings and the older olive brass fittings would be ok at 30 psi, don't do any more as you would over stress the fitting and may get leaks when water is back on in the form of dribbles from joints, mine is a new van ( lucky me !! ) and all push fit so i am going 28psi, and my water pressure is very high even to the point that i had to buy reducing pressure washers for my tap outlets or overtime we turned the tap on the water run around the bowl and up the kitchen window, very frustrating for my wife cleaning the windows all the time lol
Old 07-11-2017, 15:01

great thanks for your comments. Shame about the windows lol
Old 07-11-2017, 15:14
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmf View Post
great thanks for your comments. Shame about the windows lol
no problem, i pick up most of my info from this site to be honest, i read a lot while my better half is at work, then i deduce the right thing for me from the info i get, i never even knew that you could get different ends for the taps, just the little bit at the end, some call them aerators some flow restricting but you can get different levels, been a world of difference since fitting i don't get a cold splash of water from the bathroom sink now when i brush my teeth in the mornings, thats great
Old 07-11-2017, 22:21

not an advert!!

i have skirting just put up around my caravan (which we just purchased) with no access that i'm aware of so does this mean i cant reach to open the drain offs and it will impede my installation of Floe 868 ? I do have access to the on/off tap for my water as it sticks out from under the skirting.

Thanks