Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 19-10-2014, 09:51

Default Does anyone know about the CaraGuard system?

Morning all,

We have a new caravan, which we have to drain down at the end of the season ourselves, at a local talk on how to do it, we were recommended the CaraGuard system (http://www.caraproducts.co.uk/how-it-works.php) at a cost of £350 fitted - which I think is a lot, but makes end and start of season seem much easier!
Has anyone got the system, or know anything about its merits?

Many thanks

Old 19-10-2014, 10:11

This device is NOT a draindown device. I don't see the point in buying what is effectively an electric solenoid valve which just turns off the stop tap. For over £300 its far easier to just turn the stop tap off manually. Also, if you do that, you are still wasting your time as if you turn off the stop tap by hand for free, or spend well over £300 to do it, you still have all the water in the pipes of your caravan which would freeze & expand & burst the pipes or joints. If you do this without draining down the system, it would be a very expensive mistake. You must get all the water out of the pipework & boiler heat exchanger (unless its a combi with antifreeze) or else when you come back next year you will have more leaks than a colander and it will cost you far more than the cost of this (in my opinion) silly idea as a way to protect your holiday home because I don't think it does! You would come back to a world of misery. Burst pipes everywhere, and the chance that you may need to replace the shower mixer, one of my neighbours even had a broken toilet bowl because they had forgot to pour antifreeze into the loo. This device on its own would be virtually no protection at all.

Last edited by RRRob; 19-10-2014 at 11:10.
Old 19-10-2014, 12:32

After looking at the site and prices, it may be that you have been quoted for the optional drain down kit as well. I know that some on our site Fallbarrow on lake Windermere have the tap fitted but I do not know if any other bits are. I will ask next week when there.

regards
Tango
Old 19-10-2014, 12:46

The site actually says the optional draindown kit is not yet available so the price is just for the electric water valve. Even if the draindown kit were available, better to buy that & forget the electric water valve. You may find these links informative and far more useful.

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3064

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...highlight=floe

The Floe system is far cheaper & more effective.

Last edited by RRRob; 19-10-2014 at 12:57.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:47

I've seen something like this before, it was a stop valve that was activated by something that looked like a light switch.

One of our customer fitted it without 1st checking with us. It failed in the very cold winter a year or 2 back. They had a leak, lucky for them it was outside the caravan.

Personally I'd stick to a tap and doing a drain down, something can't be improved upon. Before you attempt any plumbing please talk to the park first, you may be in breach of park rules and more importantly water regulations.

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 07-11-2019, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowcellar View Post
Morning all,

We have a new caravan, which we have to drain down at the end of the season ourselves, at a local talk on how to do it, we were recommended the CaraGuard system (http://www.caraproducts.co.uk/how-it-works.php) at a cost of £350 fitted - which I think is a lot, but makes end and start of season seem much easier!
Has anyone got the system, or know anything about its merits?

Many thanks
With reference to the questions asked about the Caragaurd drain down system, I have had this system fitted to my new Willerby Avonmore caravan as we use it through winter.
It is true this is not a full drain down system and is a safety device for when you are not at your caravan, but what this system does is let’s you at the press of a button turn the mains water off and then all you do is open your taps in the bathrooms and kitchens and the water in the pipework is then dumped under the caravan.
It then allows you to leave with the risk of frozen pipes reduced greatly, we used it all last winter and it saved us time and not needing to go open drain valves when we came back to the caravan the next weekend all we have to do is to press the button on the control pad and the valve under the van turn the water back on , all you do then is let the air out of the system through the taps to get going again.
If you are draining down for winter and leaving your caravan for a few months then yes you would drain down and use the compressor to blow water from the pipes .
How this system works is clever and I think it was money well spent and gave use peace of
mind
Old 07-11-2019, 21:55

There’s another system that isolates the water supply from inside the van, Sure Stop, same size as a light switch, but non battery/electric. Works by tensioned wires, a man on our site supplies at fits for £100.00, it’s a known method, available at Amazon and screw-fix.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surestop-SS...s%2C160&sr=8-3
Old 08-11-2019, 03:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
You must get all the water out of the pipework & boiler heat exchanger (unless its a combi with antifreeze)
Just some clarification to the above, the correct amount of anti-freeze should protect the central heating side of the system, but not including the part of the boiler that gives you your domestic hot water. This part of the boiler I always drain as it has no anti-freeze, also if you have a boiler with a condensate trap, this will need consideration also. Hope this helps and post back for clarification if needed.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossy View Post
Thereís another system that isolates the water supply from inside the van, Sure Stop, same size as a light switch, but non battery/electric. Works by tensioned wires, a man on our site supplies at fits for £100.00, itís a known method, available at Amazon and screw-fix.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surestop-SS...s%2C160&sr=8-3
These are the type of thing mentioned above by Treetops.. They are made of plastic and can burst in any frost.. Also look at the temperature of operation.. They wont work if the small tube containing water are frozen and may even turn the water back on..

We have the CaraGuard water stop fitted on lots of vans in Windermere and the ball valve is stainless, acording to the site maintanence lads they have never had one fail but have saved a few vans from flooding in the Beast from the east.

They now fit the water stop part as standard now on new vans and lodges. This is a Parkdean site.
Old 08-11-2019, 15:32
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango.one View Post
These are the type of thing mentioned above by Treetops.. They are made of plastic and can burst in any frost.. Also look at the temperature of operation.. They wont work if the small tube containing water are frozen and may even turn the water back on..

We have the CaraGuard water stop fitted on lots of vans in Windermere and the ball valve is stainless, acording to the site maintanence lads they have never had one fail but have saved a few vans from flooding in the Beast from the east.

They now fit the water stop part as standard now on new vans and lodges. This is a Parkdean site.
I have a Surestop but i also have trace heating on the cold mains and on the surestop pipework.

Had this working now in a big freeze with no issues, This is a great gadget to switch off the water from a switch inside.