Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > News

News Discuss all of the latest news related to static caravans here

Old 25-06-2017, 15:38

Very similar to what happened to me on the site I left, had bought on understanding no age restriction if kept in good condition., as were all purchasers........then rules change, told 20 years maximum, lots of loyal owners leave, I sold my van at a reduced price due to new rules.

The owner was very underhand and upset a lot of his customers some very longstanding, it was a private site with approx 170 vans, he was present when I bought my van and assured me face to face that there was no age restriction.......before I left he repeatedly ignored my request to meet him and avoided his weekly visit. Some owners did have it out with him and he knew how the new rules had upset people, obviously it said a lot about his values and personality.

So after 5 good years we left, sad to leave our 12 year old van, and friends on site, but happy to move away from the owner, who disappointed people so much, if his motives were more money then I hope he enjoys it.....

I must admit though he now has good few empty pitches, sells odd new van on a pitch and allows vans of under 5 years to be brought on site....never had to do this before to fill his site, almost as soon as a van came up for sale it was sold!!!!

Last edited by DianeW; 25-06-2017 at 15:44.

Old 25-06-2017, 16:21

When we bought on Treetops we knew we had a 15 year licence from new,then we were offered an extension to 20 years as the park celebrated an anniversary,so when we upgraded we got a 20 year licence on new van....think lodges get 50 years

It just goes to show that the no age limit on some sites can be changed to 20 ,as in your case Diane,so why can't the site in Skegness go up to 20?

Do no age limit site licences,state in writing...or is it the sales people oral agreement?
Old 26-06-2017, 02:27

We did get an agreement noting the official number of years, but were assured by the office manager of 10+ years and the site owner himself who came to meet us and sat in on our signing up etc that we would be able to stay beyond that as long as the van and decking was kept in good condition. Many other owners had bought on this pretext also and too were very annoyed and hurt.

This was particularly important to us as we bought the van with an inheritance and knew we would not ever be in a position to upgrade, and questioned this at the time...hence the assurance no age restriction.

It was the fact that they changed the rules with no regard for the existing owners whom they knew had been given false assurances.

Legally we had no comeback, but as I said morally the owner treated us very poorly.
Old 26-06-2017, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeW View Post
We did get an agreement noting the official number of years, but were assured by the office manager of 10+ years and the site owner himself who came to meet us and sat in on our signing up etc that we would be able to stay beyond that as long as the van and decking was kept in good condition. Many other owners had bought on this pretext also and too were very annoyed and hurt.

This was particularly important to us as we bought the van with an inheritance and knew we would not ever be in a position to upgrade, and questioned this at the time...hence the assurance no age restriction.

It was the fact that they changed the rules with no regard for the existing owners whom they knew had been given false assurances.

Legally we had no comeback, but as I said morally the owner treated us very poorly.
So it wasn't a yearly agreement. ....think other sites are having same problem ...its the oral agreement saying ,vans over the term must be kept in good order to be kept on site,which means it's up to site owners interpretation ..in your case he was getting all the regular site fees,now he has lost that to rely on selling new vans,on a site with loads of empty plots
Old 26-06-2017, 14:17

Yes.....certainly more empty plots than I have ever known.