Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Selling A Caravan

Selling A Caravan Discussion about selling a caravan.

Old 01-06-2015, 23:11

Default Advice for selling needed

Hi, we have had our caravan for 3 years, but due to change in circumstances are unable to spend enough time there to justify the fees, so have decided to sell up. We have contacted the site for advice but they have not replied (emailed rather than ring and leave a message with reception).

Ive contacted 2 dealers who have said 12-15k (paid 40k 3 yrs ago). I know there will be lots of depreciation but was looking for around 25k? Is that realistic? Its an ABI beachcomber, 2012 model, 3 beds, dg, ch. is it a case of putting as many adverts online as possible? Fees are paid this year, but would prefer to sell by november when 2016 are due. The site website used to have a section for privately owned caravans but since they redid the website, theyve removed this section. Do i direct any prospective buyers to the site?

Sorry to ask so many questions!

Old 04-06-2015, 14:48
Departed Friend

probably about right for dealers.the site will probably offer even less.
Old 04-06-2015, 22:50

Hi there,

What does your agreement say in relation to selling on on site. A 3 year old van should be a prime candidate to re sell.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:08

The dealer prices reflect the book price, however, it appears the 40k you paid included a large mark up on the retail price which was just under 30k.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:07

Best to wait for site as they may charge for you to sell or even if you sell to dealer off site there may be disconnection fees...they may make it hard for you ....
Old 05-06-2015, 11:12
Supporting Member

I hope your get some satisfaction in this sale.
It always sounds extremely harsh when anyone wants/needs to sell a caravan, particularly a recent model which has only seen a short few year's use.
I'm sure it's of little help, but presently, there are 2 ABI Beachcombers for sale on Autotrader, both 2012.
One is on offer at 33,995 and the other at 46,701, both offered by the trade on site.
It's a long way from 15k trade, but as we keep on reading, parks have a business to run.
I think anyone buying into a static, has to do so eyes wide open and be under absolutely no illusion that it is an investment, at least not a financial one.
Having read all the "money pit" comments and sad stories on here, I decided to buy and have to hope we enjoy it for years to come, otherwise, we know the deal.
Good luck with it Choccy.
Old 09-06-2015, 16:37

Hi, thanks for the replies. If we sell to a dealer, we just pay disconnection to the site. If we sell, its 15% commission which we were told about when we bought.

The site have said 29995 sounds a fair peice, but that we should price it lower than theirs despite it being higher spec as buyers will go for new before they go for ours. As we are not desperate to sell, we are going to advertise it at 29k and look to reduce in the future.

We knew it would deprecate when we bought it. Compared to others for sale on site, its a fair price for what you get, although I am biased! The site don't want to buy it back (apparantly they don't do that sort of thing!) i'll advertise it as much as possible and keep my fingers crossed!