Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > News

News If it's a news story happening local to you or internationally, discuss it here.

Old 02-05-2015, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkyrich View Post
When I was a lad (yeah, yeah, when the dinosaurs etc. etc.) and computers were the latest thing, "they" told us that once computers were properly sorted, there'd be very little paperwork. It'd all be on computer file.

40 years later and I wish I'd bought shares in a paper mill. True, every thing about everyone seems to be on a hard drive but there seems to be a hard, printed copy of everything too. My bookshelves at work are groaning under the paper copies of all the electrical test results of the last ten years - just because the gaffer doesn't trust technology!
And perhaps he's right not to. I still have nightmares from The Great Computing Services Archive C*** Up. The computing bods at work told us to back up all our files for safety, you don't need the paper copies. we'll keep the data safe on tape, in a fire proof cabinet. A couple of years on and I asked for tape number CY2134, to retrieve some records for a new analysis. A day later - "Sorry, we can't retrieve the files, the tape cassettes have degraded and the tapes can't be read." The entire data archive disappeared at one fell stroke.

Henry

Old 02-05-2015, 06:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by the batman View Post
And perhaps he's right not to. I still have nightmares from The Great Computing Services Archive C*** Up. The computing bods at work told us to back up all our files for safety, you don't need the paper copies. we'll keep the data safe on tape, in a fire proof cabinet. A couple of years on and I asked for tape number CY2134, to retrieve some records for a new analysis. A day later - "Sorry, we can't retrieve the files, the tape cassettes have degraded and the tapes can't be read." The entire data archive disappeared at one fell stroke.

Henry
Ahh, perhaps he has a point with the results then lol! Sadly though there seems to be no discrimination between documents. They print hard copies of every email too - and then forward it to a colleague who'll also "need" a hard copy.
Still wish I'd stuck my pension pot in paper and printer ink!!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:37

I feel sorry for the police who will a have to now carry anpr equipment as all car and licence info is on computer, gone are the days when you could see who did not have any tax.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
I feel sorry for the police who will a have to now carry anpr equipment as all car and licence info is on computer, gone are the days when you could see who did not have any tax.
There's probably an app for that!

Henry