Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Polls

Polls Start or answer static caravan related polls

View Poll Results: What device do you use to access the forum & Internet at your van?
Laptop or desktop via site WiFi 28 36.36%
Laptop via MiFi or Dongle 19 24.68%
Iphone Mobile Phone 15 19.48%
Android mobile phone 20 25.97%
Ipad 17 22.08%
Kindle Fire 1 1.30%
Hudl 2 2.60%
Big brand name Android tablet Nexus etc) 10 12.99%
Cheaper Chinese generic tablet 2 2.60%
OTHER (please specify) 6 7.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-06-2014, 17:13

We have two android phones, two tablets (generic cheap and cheerful but does the business) and a laptop, which I'll be working from this summer :-) Up till now I've tethered to my mobile as the site wi-fi is a bit hit and miss, but have just invested in a range extender that comes recommended for caravans to see if that improves wi-fi access using the site's system. Not set it up yet (that's next weekend's work), but will happily report back if anyone is interested!

Old 16-07-2014, 09:59

Location: Sandfield Leisure Park, Chapel St. Leonards Skegness

We have a tablet and laptop at our van and use 3 MiFi ,absolutely brilliant.
Old 20-09-2014, 16:13

Tablet and laptop tethered to mobile phone, but mobile data network is overloaded due to number of people about during summer months. So looking for an alternative method for next year
Old 20-09-2014, 16:37

Rarely these days as I decided not to pay for 3 ( which I had last season ) tethering to Mr ABs mobile is next to useless.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:36

Has anyone got any experience of fixed wireless internet? I am considering trying this next season.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by John51 View Post
Has anyone got any experience of fixed wireless internet? I am considering trying this next season.
Sorry John but you will have to be more specific. There are a few systems like you describe. Some people connect this way using a satellite dish and get their broadband via satellite. Others (like I do) connect to a broadband feed via a microwave dish aimed at a central distribution antenna high on a distant hill. Where are you located roughly? No need to be specific, just a general area. There are several providers in various parts of the country and it depends where you want to use the service as to what would be best for you. For instance, you may be able to get an adequate service via the 3G phone network. In parts of Wales you can use the microwave network provided by eXwavia, Yorkshire has Beeline, Clannet etc.
These services require an installation fee. Generally charge around £1000 setup fee. 3G will cost you nothing apart from a MiFi unit about £50 plus monthly charge. I don't have any experience with satellite broadband but if you ask ANGELA via this forum topic, she can tell you all about that system.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:42

The caravan is on Butlins Skegness, a company called ABinternet have the fixed wireless contract in that area and reckon they can install for around £50. Then the price per month depends on what you want.
I was just wondering how reliable the system is.
3g in the area is near useless due to overload of the system and that is on all networks
Old 07-10-2014, 10:13

Broadband via a microwave dish is as reliable as any home hard wired network. We have a microwave feed into our site which I use th supply the site WiFi. I have managed to supply basic internet for web pages, Email Skype etc, but not video to around 90 caravans from the one dish. If you have it just to yourself, it should be fantastic and as good as any home system.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:35

Thanks for that information, I will try to get an installation in March next year as I do not see the point of installing just before the closed season.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by John51 View Post
Thanks for that information, I will try to get an installation in March next year as I do not see the point of installing just before the closed season.
Have a look at angelab thread on broadband..she installed dish etc at her van