Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 11-06-2014, 14:00

How dare you, I am insulted and mortified at your comment. He asked for honest answers, not politically correct ones. I think to discriminate against anyone for any reason is abhorrent and I do not appreciate you insinuating that I may be anything like that. I demand you remove your comment.

Old 11-06-2014, 14:20

"I think if you went to a small park you could well find a bigot in charge".

"I have noticed the attitude with the locals here at the coast is totally different to the big city, Leeds in our case. I think you are very wise to consider this scenario. Shameful in this day and age isn't it."

So you insult small business owners on the coast... a lot like myself, my family and a lot of my friends as well as the park owners that you have just purchased from, and then DEMAND me to retract the comment which is based on quotes YOU have made?? You may be waiting a while.

Crows Nest Caravan Park, Filey| Jasmine Park, Scarborough|Robin Hood Caravan Park, York
Old 11-06-2014, 14:25
Administrator

Thanks to all of those who have posted on this thread.

Part me wants to say don't worry about it, just buy a van on the site you choose and worry about anything bigotry later, if they through you off just sue them!

But of course in reality that just isn't practical and I think you are right to take the owners views into consideration as sadly some people are still stuck in a timewarp.

I honestly believe that 99% of owners wouldn't care either way. As mentioned above if made your caravan into swingers paradise (for example) a part wouldn't be too happy but if it just you and your partner (no matter if its a same sex or otherwise relation) then it makes no difference to the park.

I don't know if you have a partner or not, but maybe just subtly drop it into conversation when you are buying the caravan that your partner (for example Geoff) will like ____ about the van/park or if you are buying together just make it clear (subtly) that you are together. Check the owners response.

Follow us on Twitter (Info)
Old 11-06-2014, 14:27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaview View Post
How dare you, I am insulted and mortified at your comment. He asked for honest answers, not politically correct ones. I think to discriminate against anyone for any reason is abhorrent and I do not appreciate you insinuating that I may be anything like that. I demand you remove your comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
"I think if you went to a small park you could well find a bigot in charge".

"I have noticed the attitude with the locals here at the coast is totally different to the big city, Leeds in our case. I think you are very wise to consider this scenario. Shameful in this day and age isn't it."

So you insult small business owners on the coast... a lot like myself, my family and a lot of my friends as well as the park owners that you have just purchased from, and then DEMAND me to retract the comment which is based on quotes YOU have made?? You may be waiting a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaview View Post
Yes, I think if you went to a small park you could well find a bigot in charge. So you need some back up, just in case and there is nothing more powerful than the mighty credit card. Just pay for some portion of the sale with your fantastic plastic (I would spend over 100) then in the event of a situation, you have a very, very powerful ally. I have noticed the attitude with the locals here at the coast is totally different to the big city, Leeds in our case. I think you are very wise to consider this scenario. Shameful in this day and age isn't it.
Quote:
Seaview - More shameful on judging someone on where they live, or the size of their business than on their sexuality?? Sorry but you sound very much like the kind of idiot this gentleman is trying to avoid.
Can we please stop it there guys. No need for the sweeping generalisations or for the demands and the snapping back

Old 11-06-2014, 14:40

I thought i was quite calm and composed. Sorry GoStatic Overlords!!

Crows Nest Caravan Park, Filey| Jasmine Park, Scarborough|Robin Hood Caravan Park, York
Old 11-06-2014, 14:43
Administrator

Quote:
I thought i was quite calm and composed. Sorry GoStatic Overlords!!
Hi,

You were and that's why the posts remain but it was only going to go one way and that is why I ask for both sides to stop. I even gave you a hug

Anyway, back on topic everyone

Old 12-06-2014, 09:52

Oh dear, my apologies for starting the trouble, it was never my intention to do so, I just wanted some honest advice and opinions......and you know what......THAT IT WHAT I HAVE RECEIVED. I do have a partner so I think the advice of (subtly) dropping the subject into the conversation is a good one and one that we will act upon. We are both from Blackpool which does have a reputation, if that is the right word for being "tolerant" and we have never encountered any problems in Blackpool. Perhaps by considering a caravan purchase away from Blackpool we were leaving our comfort zone and that may have been the scariest part for us. All this has made us both question who and what we are and our relationships with others perhaps more than the logistics of buying a caravan.

Please, please please.......don't argue about this. You have all been very open, honest and kind perhaps some of you have also had to leave your comfort zones and perhaps even confront your own prejudices but openness and honesty is all that anyone can ask of someone, even themselves.

Can I also add that we (my partner and I) have visited a few sites and never once encountered any hostility from the owner/management but I do admit that one or two just didn't feel right. Some parks had the wrong dynamic which just didn't seem right for us, so we discounted them immediately.....but as yet, we still haven't found the right one.

One of you said that we should find the right park first and then the van/pitch second and this is a strategy that we will now use to further our search. We have decided to revisit one or two parks to get the feel of the places again and we are now also more focussed (again through your comments and advice) about what we do and do not want from a park. We do want some facilities, a club/pub on site or within a short walking distance would be nice, as would a small shop. However, we are clear in that we don't want "entertainment" either for adults e.g. bingo and cabaret or (for obvious reasons) childrens' entertainment e.g. a playground. For that reason we have wondered if "adult only" sites exist, we have never come across one? We are both of a "mature" age our Ibiza days are long gone, we just want somewhere to spend some quality time together with others who are of a like mind and relax with out little dog.....which again seems to be an issue at some parks.......the dog I mean.

Thanks to you all, you have been brilliant and the advice we have been given will go with us in our search. The right park/van for us is out there, we know it is, we must both confront our fears and get on with enjoying the rest of our life, hopefully in our van.

I will keep you all posted.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:30

You sound a sensible and decent person and I'm sure you will find a place that suits you. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2014, 10:35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
You sound a sensible and decent person and I'm sure you will find a place that suits you. Good luck!
Yup have to agree,

I'm sure most owners will look at the person and make a decision on them (let's be honest, when looking to buy on a small park it is as much about whether the park owners thinks you are right for the park as it is whether the park is right for you and I mean in all cases, not just your circumstance)

You seem to be a decent boke from the little we know from your posting so I would say you shouldn't have too many problems and if you do run into any, look at it as a blessing as that wouldn't be the sort of park you (or I) would want to be on anyway.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:23
Supporting Member

I can't remember which part of the country you want to be almeria man, but our site nr bridlington doesn't have lots of facilities, it does have a club and a shop and a very small playground, but the site is large enough for most vans to be nowhere near the playground. It's right next to miles of sandy beach, ideal for the dog, it's walking distance to bridlington and most of the east and north coast of Yorkshire are easily accessible by car.

The site is called South Cliff and it's owned by East Yorkshire council and very well run. There's also a privately owned Site next door that uses our facilities called Whitehouse and a Chalet Park right on the beach with its own pub and that has a 12 month licence, the Chalet park is called South shore. To find the chalet prices just Google.....Holihomes.

ML.