Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 22-06-2011, 18:46

Default Buy now or save. Ooohh Decisions decisions!

Hi all and can i say what a great forum this is .Groveling over may i now pick ya brains please.

My wife and i have always talked of owning a van at Coastfields site in Ingoldmells when the kids were grown up but now it seems we can maybe take the plunge a little earlier.

We have managed to put aside roughly 4000 but heres the first tricky decision, we could either wait about 18 months and build the pot up to approx 12k or use the 4000 we have as a deposit on a more expensive van(19995 willerby Savoy 2009) and be in debt for 7 years?????.

Also having read the forums threads it seems that buying a static can be either the best or worse experience many of you have gone or going through, the worse generally being based around ill judged/badly informed purchases or unscrupulous park owners so i would love to hear the opinions of all but especially anyone who owns a static on Coastfields.

The sales office who are quite keen for us not to build the pot up and buy now!! have assured us that there is a 15 year tenure from date of manufacture IN WRITING given upon purchase,should this be enough peace of mind regards how long it can stay on the park or is there something else i need to make sure of ??

Sorry for all the questions but having had this dream for such a long time we are so desperate to do it right.

Thanks again to such a cracking forum, Minty

Old 22-06-2011, 19:10
Supporting Member

Hiya Minty,

please dont apolgise for posting and asking questions, we all have to start somewhere and the more knowledge that we/you can take on board is all for the best....

lots of info on here regarding buying a van, please do your sums and make sure that you can afford to buy one and also pay for the upkeep without getting yourself 'into trouble' so to speak .

we took the plunge last year and haven't looked back, we bought on a non-haven park and the vans were a lot cheaper than what haven were selling for, we didnt want to have to sublet to cover our costs....

ask away and let us know how you get on, there are a few people on here that have vans around your chosen area so hopefully they will be along shortly to advise you xx

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 22-06-2011, 20:03

Thankyou for such a warm welcome, i look forward to speaking to you more in the future , Minty
Old 22-06-2011, 20:13

we just round the corner on anchor lane but hopefully craige might come on and read this, they bought a van on coastfield earlier this year so he should be able to tell you how they got on. the site will always want you to buy now rather than build a pot up as they have targets to reach. enjoy the forum
Old 22-06-2011, 20:41

Ok this is a personal view. I wouldn't want to go into debt on my first van and potentially end up paying out for the next seven years on something I no longer wanted.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 22-06-2011, 21:14

Hi Minty, welcome to the forum. Are you set on the Coastfields site? I only ask because one of its sister sites, Kingfisher, which we are on, has no age limit any more, so you can keep your caravan on there forever if you so wish as long as its kept in good, clean condition. Kingfisher is just a few minutes walk away from Coastfields.

Now my thoughts on whether to buy, for what they are worth, are don't go into debt if you can possibly avoid it.

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc450/pmc1bai/
Old 22-06-2011, 21:24

hi minty i wish you luck but the salesmen on there are quite pushy what is it that attracts you to that site?
Old 22-06-2011, 22:00

WOW !!! Loads of helpful replies. It goes something like this.

Mrs Minty:- "buy one now, dont save,we could go away all of august,got to be Coastfields though (thats where we have been holidaying for the past 13 years)"

Mr Minty(me .kev)"Lets save 18 months is not a long time and we will own it outright,i quite like the look of Kingfisher darling(evenmore so now the tenure is limitless) and its right between fantasy island and the point"

Now i know full well if i bought one on Kingfisher tomorrow as a surprise she would love it.Might just take a bit of convincing but im sure taking everything in to consideration she may change her mind.

Your views on the Kingfisher site would be great

Thanks Minty
Old 22-06-2011, 22:32

also if you buy on kingfisher you get to use the same facilities on coastfield so it could be a win win situation for you if you can talk the mrs round lol
Old 22-06-2011, 22:39
Supporting Member

I have no views on your preferred site as I've never been to that part of the UK.
The only thing I would suggest is to save up and buy. Statics aren't cheap to start with so heaven forbid how much they would cost over 7 years at whatever interest rate.
It's easy to get caught up in the 'I must have it now' mode but just take a step back and think very carefully about getting into debt for a fast depreciating 'non asset'.
I love my static and you will too, especially when it's all yours.
ML.