Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 16-03-2019, 18:32

[QUOTE=DavidE;174390]Glad it worked out for you. I was misled by your previous post that said you gave up looking after 20 attempts.
I do think though that is unusual for it to work out like that, but occasionally someone strikes lucky.[/QUOTE

Yeah we gave up looking for a private bring on site, seemingly if it was being brought from another site that was ok but they said we couldn't buy from a dealer because of money laundering and proof of ownership, personally thought this was a cop out and it was their way of saying bog off was told this on about 6 sites, a few others were wanting 5k to hook up and a couple had plots you wouldn't put a Horse on in a far corner of a field lol.
we searched our chosen area Dumfries about 90 minutes from the house checked a few sites out spoke to owners bought from site.

Old 12-05-2019, 16:53

I saw this article on another caravan forum...It reads :-

Imagine you go to buy a car ?...The dealer says ! No problem ...Pick any one you like...
You choose it..!

Dealer says .. you must insure it only through us....You must get it repaired only through us...
.You can only buy fuel from us ....
Any moderfications can only be done through us..
you must pay us £3000 per annum (let's call it tax ?)...

.And when you come to sell it you can only sell it back to us at a greatly reduced price probably a lot less than you paid for it ...(we can sell it on at a grossly inflated price and you can't do anything about it !...

We wouldn't allow this when we buy a car ?....But we allow it for a caravan ?

Interesting article eh ?....What do you all think ?

Last edited by Peter.R; 13-05-2019 at 08:05.
Old 12-05-2019, 18:54

People probably do it for a static because they like where it is and the facilities on offer.
Most cars get driven away and kept elsewhere.....
And the only reason it is "allowed" for a caravan is because people agree to it.
Not every site is so greedy, and if the greedy sites started losing trade they might change their ways.
Supply and demand, supply and demand...
Old 13-05-2019, 14:06
Supporting Member

The big difference is a car is truly mobile but a static is normally just that fixed in one place. Usually that place is a piece of land owned by someone other that the ‘van owner. The ‘van owner pays ground rent to have the ‘van on that piece of land but in England the land owner still has the say as to who comes on to his land and how they can behave whilst on his land. In theory as a ‘van owner if you don’t like the rules made by the land owner you have the right to remove your self and your ‘van from that land. However in reality finding somewhere else where you can move to is the thing that creates the problem.
I believe that in the original post phrases like “grossly inflated prices” are emotive and possibly unfair as the comparison to cars refers to something that also looses a lot of value upon sale and when dealing with that trade there is also a mark up between their buying and selling prices.
The secret is understanding the reality of ‘van ownership before you buy, not acting on a dream which becomes a nightmare when that reality eventually hits home.
Old 15-05-2019, 04:26
Supporting Member

Some site do let you move your van to their site, even though they do not advertise, i had a chat with my Park manager and he told me they do allow others to bring their vans to their site.

If your not sure, not give up Ask
Old 15-05-2019, 05:52
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
Some site do let you move your van to their site, even though they do not advertise, i had a chat with my Park manager and he told me they do allow others to bring their vans to their site.

If your not sure, not give up Ask
Totally with you on that Gerry. As I’ve commented about before, on other threads here, the site I’m on is one we moved our ‘van to last year and currently has pitches available for suitable ‘vans to move to.