Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 30-06-2019, 01:01
Supporting Member

Default Watching Sky without a Sat Dish

You Need a Valid Sky Subscription for this to work. (Its not Free!!)

If your like me and love watching your Sky at home you can also watch it at your caravan also without all the Hassle or Expense of having a Dish set up or extra subscription.

Earlier i bought an Amazon Firestick, it was about 30 and with these you can upload your own apps, anything that you would find in the play store.

So the good thing with Sky subscriptions is that you can download Sky Go which allows you to view your package over the internet, and by uploading the Sky go app onto your firestick you can watch all your sky package in the caravan without having to buy a Dish, Box or card.

You can also upload Now TV and view your package without having to buy another Dongle

Both of these ideas only work if you already have a subscription to Sky or Now TV

Old 30-06-2019, 10:45

Also you should have your own WiFi via mobile phone tether or MiFi unit. If you use the site communal WiFi with multiple users, you will either not be able to get Sky Go or any other video sites if the site owner has set adequate blocks to stop you doing so or if the site WiFi has a free for all policy, you will be taking large amounts of bandwidth from the limited supply and slowing down the WiFi for other users on the site or possibly stopping your neighbours from accessing the site WiFi altogether. I installed the free WiFi on our site and set up blocks to stop the users from accessing video feeds like youtube, Netflix, SKY Go etc but had some complaints from the uses who blamed me for them not being able to do as you describe above. So I removed all the blocks so anyone could do anything but we sent out a letter to everyone telling them the site free WiFi was only for basic use. Emails, webpages etc but no video. Now if our users abuse the system they can do so but they know they are slowing down the WiFi for everyone else or even stopping them from using it altogether if a few people are downloading films, or watching TV or downloading catch up TV using the communal WiFi.
If you use your own WiFi via some of the very good deals you see via your mobile provider as Gerry does, then this is an excellent way of watching SKY, BBC Iplayer, Netflix etc but users of site communal WiFi need to understand its limitations as described in other posts on the forum & how their own use of site WiFi can affect other users.

Last edited by RRRob; 30-06-2019 at 11:03.
Old 08-07-2019, 15:54

Gerry1964 have you managed to get this to work? I have side loaded SKY Go on a Fire Stick and it only boots to a blue screen then goes back to the Amazon home screen. looking on Forums this is common. What i can see, Sky do not let HDMI systems work with Go ie Fire sticks, google and Apple TV. Let me know if you have success please
Thanks
Old 09-07-2019, 04:18
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazsun View Post
Gerry1964 have you managed to get this to work? I have side loaded SKY Go on a Fire Stick and it only boots to a blue screen then goes back to the Amazon home screen. looking on Forums this is common. What i can see, Sky do not let HDMI systems work with Go ie Fire sticks, google and Apple TV. Let me know if you have success please
Thanks
Yes unfortunately this also happened to me, despite all the hype apart from being able to upload one of many video streaming apps, i have resorted to using sky go from my laptop and then cast to the TV, which works just as well.

My 3 Wifi fi has unlimited data, so is ideal for films and downloading, I wouldn't even begin to use the sites wifi for this
Old 09-07-2019, 15:27

Yes I use a laptop via hdmi lead. I was hoping to have a much neater solution with the Amazon Firestick neatly tucked out of the way behind the TV. Another solution I may try is buy an old 2nd hand PS3 as Sky Go still works on this + all the other streaming sites. Seen them on Gumtree for 50 with a few games thrown in.
As with you, on Three unlimited, we even put a Amazon Echo Dot in last weekend as my Wife loves them, Amazon had a deal on 24.99, I was amazed by the quality of the sound from the new MkIII model!
Old 25-07-2019, 07:18

I've just done a deal and swapped to sky mobile.

Basically u/l texts and minutes with 8gb data for 10 a month 12 months deal. Very similar to other providers such as 3 and others.

Nice feature is that you can roll your unused data in to a 'bank' to use later or swap for goodies like discounts on a new phone. So if you don't use much when at home with broadband land line then when away more to use next month. Should build up nicely over the winter months as i typically use 1-2 gb / week at the caravan and 200mb / month at home.

But the real advantage for me is that if you are an existing Sky customer you can watch sky tv on your phone/tablet without eating in to your data allowance.

Plan to use a miracast gadget to cast from tablet to tv. Sorted!

If you are interested it's a limited time deal , normally 20 and cheaper than the existing 4gb for 12.
Old 25-07-2019, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarsmate View Post
I've just done a deal and swapped to sky mobile.

Basically u/l texts and minutes with 8gb data for 10 a month 12 months deal. Very similar to other providers such as 3 and others.

Nice feature is that you can roll your unused data in to a 'bank' to use later or swap for goodies like discounts on a new phone. So if you don't use much when at home with broadband land line then when away more to use next month. Should build up nicely over the winter months as i typically use 1-2 gb / week at the caravan and 200mb / month at home.

But the real advantage for me is that if you are an existing Sky customer you can watch sky tv on your phone/tablet without eating in to your data allowance.

Plan to use a miracast gadget to cast from tablet to tv. Sorted!

If you are interested it's a limited time deal , normally 20 and cheaper than the existing 4gb for 12.
I don't stream television, even at home, so don't need a lot of data at the lodge. I have three Sky sims. Two for our phones with 2gb of data each for 4.50 a month and one with 4gb of data at 6 per month which I use in my mobile Wi-Fi hub, thingy!!! We usually only use half our phone data so it goes into the bank, but we use more at the lodge. It works for us. Piggy bank has 19 gb on it at the moment. I have Sky fitted in the lodge.