Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:22

Default Damp or Condensation Problem

Hi

Our twin bedroom backs onto the kitchen where the oven is and kettle.

We use the disposable dehumidifiers in the single wardrobe in the bedroom and these fill up quite quickly also the hanging type. These fill up a lot quicker than others around the caravan.

Is it because it backs onto the gas oven, as burning gas does omit moisture or because the kettle is also next to the cooker. We moved the kettle away to another location and have hardly used to over recently but still the dehumidifiers are collecting water.

I have checked outside and everything is sealed on the outer skin.

I am at a loss where it is coming from.

We have an electric dehumidifier and use it regularly in this bedroom.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Dave

Old 11-07-2019, 10:32

I am no expert but if your at the van and it’s the warmer months then you shouldn’t need dehumidifiers , so long as doors are opened regularly for fresh air to enter , windows opened etc , .it should be enough . Could the extra be from the bathroom . There is water in the air , warm air does hold more moisture so I would have thought the dehumidifiers will just fill up till the cows come home and the dry air will be replaced with moist air.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:14

Have you noticed an increase in water collection during these warmer months? If so, it could simply be that in summer the humidity in general is greater.
Bear in mind that the dehumidifiers and the damp collectors are designed to attract damp air, so the effective ones may be pulling in humid air through the vents (as well as from inside).
The real question is, are you noticing signs of damp or condensation on the walls/windows?
If not, I would suggest it is probably simply because the air is carrying more moisture in summer than in does in winter.
If you are seeing damp/condensation anywhere, then you may need to try and increase ventilation/airflow.
(I have assumed that bath/shower is taken either with the window open or an extractor fan running, when cooking anything that is steamy or using a gas hob/oven, again the window is open or an extractor is running).
Old 11-07-2019, 21:22
Supporting Member

Hi, do you have a splashback on the wall at the back of the cooker, this would help prevent any heat transference into the bedroom. Heat transferring into the bedroom could cause condensation ( think of a glass filled with cold liquid in a warm room, the condensation running down the outside of the glass). I would also check air vents in the bedroom or wardrobe are not blocked, good air circulation would help.
Old 14-07-2019, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMotorhomer View Post
Hi

Our twin bedroom backs onto the kitchen where the oven is and kettle.

We use the disposable dehumidifiers in the single wardrobe in the bedroom and these fill up quite quickly also the hanging type. These fill up a lot quicker than others around the caravan.

Is it because it backs onto the gas oven, as burning gas does omit moisture or because the kettle is also next to the cooker. We moved the kettle away to another location and have hardly used to over recently but still the dehumidifiers are collecting water.

I have checked outside and everything is sealed on the outer skin.

I am at a loss where it is coming from.

We have an electric dehumidifier and use it regularly in this bedroom.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Dave
Check your fitted vents .!...Vans shouldn't condence like you say ... Especially this time of year !...Sounds like something Is very wrong ?...You may even benefit from fitting extra vents or an extractor fan ?... Please check you vents if they are covered or blocked it's very dangerous ...Gas is heavier than air that's why vents are there at low level !...
Old 14-07-2019, 19:44

Do you keep the door to that room shut ?

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 15-07-2019, 09:36

DJMotorhomer did not actually say they have damp or condensation, just that the humidity collectors are filling up more in the wardrobe than elsewhere.
We put them in our wardrobe (which backs on to the shower room), and took them out after a while as we were fed up with emptying them.
That was 5 years ago. Still no signs of any damp or condensation inside our outside of the wardrobe (we do leave the doors open part of the day) so it seems that these damp collectors are like ant traps - they first attract the damp/ant in order to then trap them.
If the wall between the wardrobe and the kitchen is ply or plasterboard, then they may fill up faster because they are dragging more moist air in.
Damp collectors can give a false impression. If the only sign of damp is simply that the collectors are filling up, then I doubt that there is actually a problem.
Of course, if there is condensation on the walls and/or windows, then my comments are all a load of rubbish, sorry.