Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Static Caravan Reviews > Atlas

Atlas Discussion and reviews of all Atlas made static caravans.

Old 19-09-2012, 09:43

Lightbulb ATLAS MIRAGE 2002 10x30ft

REVIEW ON 2002 ATLAS MIRAGE 10X30 FOOT. *

This caravan is a budget to mid-range and is ideal for a couple or a young family who want to venture into the world of 'statics'.

OUTSIDE:
The van has a roof like older vans but is more pent front. The colours for these vans seem to be either a cream and green (dark), cream and green (light) cream and blue (dark) cream and blue (light). Although other schemes maybe available from 2004.

Window options are: 2000 upto 2003 is aluminium external fitted-not the best in my opinion, and two aluminium doors-leading one to the lounge area (front) and one to a hallway (midway from kitchen and bedrooms). After 2003 they replaced the windows with flush-fitting ones.

Chassis on all Mirage's are steel so will need checking for rust and painting/treating.

Outside light (fitted by rear door) is an option-some have it factory or site fitted while others have nothing.

LOUNGE/DINING:
The front door leads into the lounge area-the front seating area (by the front window) seems to change even in the same year?! Some, like ours, have two corner cupboards with flip down shelves. Others have only one corner cupboard and a small built in table (near the front door) and yet another has no corner cupboard but has a long square on cupboard (again, near the front door). Apart from these changes the layouts are the same. The seating is okay, but can get uncomfy over long periods-the padding is not on the thick side and the seats are not over wide. The centre of the seating opens up to reveal a small, pull-out double bed-the mattress is useless-so okay for kids.

The fire place is central to the lounge/dining area with a mirror set above it and a small mantle piece. The fire is a standard LPG caravan fire and gives off enough heat. Next to this is a large TV stand (big enough to get a 32inch LCD TV on without you knocking it off) -the TV ariel socket and one plug-yes, one plug socket are housed behind this-the one plug socket is all you get for the lounge area! Opposite this is the dining area with wrap-around seating-with storage-on two sides, a table and two buffets. This is not bad and gives you extra seating if you have guests.

One nice feature is that lounge ceiling follows the contour of the roof line instead of being flat all the way through. This ends at the kitchen and the roof then follows the flat ceiling throughout the van. This gives the lounge more head-room and sense of space.

Lights are operated by the front door and operate the main lounge light and the dining area light.

Windows in the lounge/diding area are: Large front window (non-opening), one next to fire place with top opening, one other side of fire place, behind the TV stand-this is smaller but still has an opening top section. Dining area has a large window with top opening section.

KITCHEN:
One of the best features of this van is the square kitchen area, which enables people to walk past without getting in others way. There is an area for a standard size fridge-worktop above that with plug socket, above this is a microwave shelf with plug socket and above this a storage shelf.
Opposite side is a worktop and cupboard area-the TV stand faces the back of this cupboard area-above this is cupboard-fastened to the wall and supported by a pole. The sink is a normal sink size and has a hinged window opposite it. Power is supplied by one socket other side of cooker. The boiler is also housed in the kitchen and is housed in a cupboard. There is cupboard space all under the sink area. To the side of this is the cooker-not a bad size with four gas burners on top and seperate oven and grill area-to the side of the cooker is a small worktop space and slanted cupboard-ideal for drinks storage.

Lighting is provided by a switch on the hallway side and turns on the kitchen and the hallway light.

Please note that on later models the slanted cupboard has a door fitted and also on the supported cupboards.

HALLWAY:
Leading off from the kitchen is a small hallway that-off this are the bathroom, storage/coat cupboard, bedrooms and the rear outside door.

BATHROOM:
The bathroom is okay, with an enclosed shower cubicle-sink is a ceramic one-not plastic, and is a good size. Toilet has a plastic tank.
The bathroom meets the needs of bathroom duties but space is tight.

Lighting is provided by a switch outside the door-no pull cord inside.

Light is provided by a small window that completely opens.

STORAGE/COAT CUPBOARD:
Next to the bathroom is a storage cupboard for hanging coats etc, this is at an angle so you can run out of room quickly-however, I store an upright vaccum cleaner, hang coats etc and they all fit in okay.

BEDROOM ONE:
This has two single beds, one is fixed with storage beneath. There is a small bedside cabinet between them and a fixed board headboard (maybe different on later models). There is a wall mounted cupboard and small wardrobe at the far end. The room is just big enough to walk down and that is about your lot. Storage space isn't too bad in the cupboard and wardrobe.

Lighting is provided by one switch near the door, no other light pulls.

Light is provided by a largish window with a half-size opening piece.

MAIN BEDROOM:
The main bedroom is okay, it has a built in board headboard with small bedside cabinets attached-a single plug socket is located on one of these. Above the bed is a either a full length or three quarter cupboard space-dependent on year. The bed is a 4ft 6inch bed.

At the far end is a largish wardrobe housing a top shelf and storage beneath a bottom shelf, this is also where the electric fuses are housed. Next to this is a cupboard with a plug socket and mirror above.

Lighting is provided by a switch near the door, again no wall lights or switch.

Light is provided by a largish window with a half size side opening piece.

VENTILATION:
Is provided by a two fixed roof vents, one in the kitchen and one in the shower cubicle, various wall and floor vents are dotted around in all rooms.

HEATING:
Is provided by the main lounge gas fire, however electric low wattage panel heaters can be fitted in both bedrooms and bathroom-these are wall mounted-some are factory fitted while others are site fitted. The wall heaters fitted are low wattage-400 watts (we have factory fitted ones) these are designed so that you can have all on without tripping the fuses. The power output is background heat only and they do need to be on all the time, although they do tend to have thermostats. I would recommend the oil filled radiators for use in the lounge and the bedrooms-if non are fitted as these give a greater heat output.

PROS:
This van is deal for a starter van and has a lovely comfy feel, the build quality is good and there is enough space to store items. The kitchen is ideal with plenty of worktop space and cupboards.

CONS:
The bathroom is a tad small as is the main bedroom.

OVERALL:
Great starter van for a young family or a retired couple.

LAYOUT HERE:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ps51a9bdca.gif

PICTURES OF ATLAS MIRAGE 2002 MODEL HERE:
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...olo/OUR%20VAN/

* Please note Atlas do a single door 10x26ft Mirage and a 12x35ft three bedroomed Mirage, also there is a 2007 12x28 single door Mirage so, layouts may differ slightly.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
BERT the Gostatic mascot-RIP 2012. Fare well faithful defender of our static

Last edited by eddiesolo; 11-06-2013 at 22:10.

Old 19-09-2012, 10:07

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Great review Si, thank you

Angela B.

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 19-09-2012, 10:12

No problems, it maybe of use to someone.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
Old 14-08-2015, 10:27
Supporting Member

Wotcheer all, I have just read the excellent review by Eddiesolo on the atlas mirage and also looked at his impressive photobucket, except for a corner cupboard opposite the front door my lounge and kitchen have been described to a T. A month ago I had a look round a 3bedroom mirage which apart from a modern light fitting above the dining table was exactly the same as my caravan throughout. What has me a little confused is my caravan is an Atlas Oasis, 3bedroom, the same length and width as the mirage I looked at. My Oasis (2004) is a year older than the mirage and the colours are different but to my eyes they are both the same caravan. The bathroom,toilet, boiler, bedrooms etc are all in the same place and fitted out the same.
Do the manufacturers play with the names or is there a difference I am just not seeing. Curious
Anyway thanks Eddiesolo for the excellent review
Littlefb
Old 23-08-2015, 19:38

Glad you found the guide useful.

You Oasis, Mirage, others of that range differ in slight details, like a window maybe smaller in the lounge and have two smaller than one larger, or a cupboard maybe different.

As far as I can tell if they are the same size, number of bedrooms etc they are just rebadged and have a slightly different item or scheme.