Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 26-11-2018, 23:30
Supporting Member

Default Good Value Trace heating

Hi All,

Not sure if this is all part of the black friday events you seen nowadays but i've been looking at ways to stopping my water pipes freezing and since i enjoy going to the Caravan in the winter i'm looking at some trace heating that i can install on my Hot and cold water supplies, but mainly my cold.

So my fave site as always is Amazon and i've just seen a 9 meter length of Trace heating wire for just 21.98

This was a bargain and well worth getting my pipes done to prevent them from freezing up

Whilst i'm under the caravan i'll remove all the lagging, install the trace wire and relag the pipes with tape and Cable ties.

I don't think theres any out there cheaper, Plus i could use my old manual thermostat that i recently replaced as a frost stat so that it will ever only come on if the temp falls lower than 5 degrees.

Take a peek https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Gerry1964; 26-11-2018 at 23:40.

Old 27-11-2018, 17:52

Gerry, You will also need a roll of aluminium foil tape which travels along the pipe covering the trace wire.

My 15 Mt kit cost 115 GBP but included a pre fitted thermostat and the aluminium foil. If you are fitting it on plastic pipe the wire it should be attached near the bottom of the pipe but not at the lowest point. It is also recommended to be fit in a straight line. To describe what I mean, if you have a circle and you place a line vertically down the center and another one horizontally through the middle. the wire should be fitted midway from the bottom of the pipe towards the center horizontal line. That is if you are using one run of wire. Attach with cable ties and then place the aluminium foil tape along the wire making sure that you do not overlap the tape at any point. This is necessary to avoid any hot spots on the wire which could be dangerous. Then of course you should re apply your pipe insulation. The recommended wall thickness of the insulation should be no less than 20mm. I used 25mm Armaflex pipe insulation and armaflex tape.

I understand you are in construction so you probably know all this but the diagram in your link shows it being applied to a copper pipe with the wire twisting around the pipe. Depending on the length of the pipe run I would have needed considerably more trace heating wire to complete the job and you have to be careful when going around bends so as not to stress or break the wire. Well, that's what the instructions say.

I'm sure it will not be a problem for you.

Last edited by Mosquito; 27-11-2018 at 17:56.
Old 27-11-2018, 19:06

Is your site's supply fitted with trace heating?
Old 27-11-2018, 22:01
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Gerry, You will also need a roll of aluminium foil tape which travels along the pipe covering the trace wire.
Hi Mosquito,

Yes i read somewhere that you need to cover the plastic pipe with foil tape, I can get some of this tape from work from the lagging guys that use it on their pipe lagging.

I'm going to get a waterproof electrical box and connect the trace wire to the thermostat, Its important that the Thermostat is outside and not inside for obvious reasons.

I wonder as i've seen trace heating before on site instead of wrapping the wire around the pipe like in the picture i i just had it going along the pipe secured with cable ties? The only reason i see it wrapped around is to stop it falling off but if i just laid it along parallel to the pipe and cable tied it and even cover it up with foil tape it would do more pipe?

I have already the Old thermostat i took off the Cravan when i replaced it with Digital, and Fore 10, 15 i could get an extra plastic box that i could wire up my single socket and thermostat, I would screw this to the bottom of my Caravan, with the mains coming into the caravan into a fused spur.

This will be my project in the next few weeks, weather is still mild down here in essex, only the rain puts me off climbing underneath my Caravan
Old 27-11-2018, 22:01
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Is your site's supply fitted with trace heating?
Nope thats something they do not provide us on our site
Old 28-11-2018, 10:07

This is great value.even if you buy it with the thermostat switch that they advertise with it ..44...?? Our site say they can install trace heating not sure what type of quantity ?? But they want around 500 ?
Old 28-11-2018, 12:49
Supporting Member

I had Trace Heating fitted for me as I struggle to get up and down so under the vanis a no go for me. I seem to think the fitter commented on how much cable he’d used and it was more than 9 metres by a long way......
Old 28-11-2018, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
Nope thats something they do not provide us on our site
Maybe you could extend your trace wiring ,so all supply pipe above ground is protected..otherwise all your good work will be wasted if supply freezes.
Old 28-11-2018, 20:29
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Maybe you could extend your trace wiring ,so all supply pipe above ground is protected..otherwise all your good work will be wasted if supply freezes.
For 20 odd quid i'd happily buy another one and wire it all to the one thermostat.

But as long as i do the cold supply and the cold to bathrooms i'll be happy
Old 29-11-2018, 13:10
Supporting Member

Gerry, I might be stating the obvious but your hot feed pipes spend most of the time as cold pipes i.e. unless the water is running it stands and goes as cold as the cold feed. All my pipes hot and cold were treated to wiring up perhaps that’s why my van used up so much cabling.