Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 09-01-2019, 23:03

Default New Owner, advice please!

We have just bought our first static after many years of renting. It is an Atlas Everglade 2005, it is old but the site owners have fitted new carpeting as well as replaced all faulty windows, fire systems etc. We also have a guaranteed siting until 2025, which is what initially drew us to it as we love this site as well as this part of the country. We intend to use it all year round, coming down on long weekends, holidays etc so it will be in use every 6 weeks or so and longer over the summer (we are not hiring out though). My main query is, is the anti-freeze used during the normal drain down not your normal car anti-freeze? Please excuse my ignorance on this!

Old 09-01-2019, 23:55
Supporting Member

bmccoll

The antifreeze ideally would be one made for Caravans and motorhomes mainly because its

Non-toxic - contains no Glycols
Protects to -40įC
Biodegradable and safe for the environment
Highest quality, food grade, harmless to animals

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANTI-FREEZE.../dp/B006LH1258

The main Ingredient in Car Antifreeze is Propylene glycol and this is also an ingredient in some foods and cosmetics. On the other hand, ethylene glycol and methanol are hazardous and poisonous if ingested. It only takes a small amount of antifreeze to poison the human body and cause life-threatening complications.

Last edited by Gerry1964; 09-01-2019 at 23:57.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:10

Yes , you can use normal car antifreeze but see Gerryís post as to why I donít.
I use https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/star...ti-freeze.html
Old 10-01-2019, 09:31

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask at reception if they have any on site I can use til I get home.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:23

You do know to do a full draindown too each visit during the winter months just mentioning it as I didn't know till someone informed us when we first started
Old 11-01-2019, 17:35

You can buy a kit to do drain downs which takes around 10 minutes to complete.
http://www.obicampingandleisure.co.u...atic-caravans/
There is also a cheaper version but it will take quite a lot longer to drain down. Just Google Floe Drain Down Kits for caravans.
Old 12-01-2019, 21:47

Yes, the park wardens were very helpful when we arrived for the handover, fully explaining the draindowns, gas supplies etc., advising about the eco antifreeze and supplying a bottle of the stuff gratis. We have just finished our first week as owners, we had been renting over the previous 8 or 9 years. We spent a day or so giving the static our personal touch and the rest of the week just relaxing. Truthfully, it has been the best week's holiday we've had
Old 13-01-2019, 09:29
Supporting Member

to the forum. As regards the anti freeze, that used in cars ( as others have advised)is regarded as toxic to the environment. So although it would work you should not use it.
Again, as others have suggested, for anyone going to use their ‘van in the winter months, an “easy” drain down system is a real boon. If you are capable of working under your ‘van and are a reasonable DIY’er you could fit one yourself (the floe 868 system seems to be the preferred one). If not a DIY’er you can get one fit for you.
As an “oldie” with a genuine “bad back” I went for paying for it doing for me. I have the caraguard one and it makes draining down a doddle each time we come away from the ‘van.
Whatever you decide to do with it, I hope you get as much pleasure from your home from home as we do ours.
Old 13-01-2019, 18:55

I’ve been pondering the Floe 868 system and had never heard of this Caraguard system before. But on Googling all I’m seeing is by all accounts a not very reliable, expensive remote stop valve, and no mention of it actually draining the water pipes as the Floe does.
Am I missing something?
Old 13-01-2019, 23:31
Supporting Member

If you have a small air compressor in your Car or shed you'll be able to use a FloŽ Static Caravan / Chalet Draindown Kit and DVD - APT1101

This is super cheap at only £24.95 and you could quite easily add this to your Outside tap, or even have your own Washing machine tap fitted in your Boiler cupboard. Then just connect your Compressor to the end, Its like an Air valve for your car tyres and you just open all the taps where you'll find that the air just pushes the remaining water out of the pipes.

Even comes with its own DVD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Floe-Floe...~cSX:rk:7:pf:0

Then you need a small air compressor so look at this

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1RR4lht0CL.jpg https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00R1LP3...a-419961753736

Only £17.99 and because its 12v you can keep it in your car incase you have a flat, But in the Caravan you'll need an adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CZBMN..._t4_B07BHNGFGV only £3.99

You can also use it in the caravan to inflate all your usual inflatables in the summer

So for around £50 you can do everything the Floe system does as well as using the air compressor for your car, and pumping up inflatables etc..

Last edited by Gerry1964; 13-01-2019 at 23:44.