Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:23

Default Sites

Hi All,

Following our previous posts we took your advise and didnt rush in and buy on the primrose valley site.

We had a look at an other site on that coast, thornwickbay, but we are wondering if itsnormal for the site to want a piece of you from all angles?

You was all telling us 3500 was high site fee's and 12.5% commission if we sold on privately (if we needed to) was silly to pay, yet somewhere with alot less facilities and older ones too, offering stie fee's of 2300 plus if we resold it would have to go to them or sell off site. We asked what we would expect to get bak on a 14k van and he said he may not be in a position to buy so we may aswell 'write our money off' !!! This is worse than the commission....

Anyway, is this all normal? Is it as the guy at Thornwick said ' we are our own universe and can do what we want' ?

Following other posts o this forum we are trying to find a decent site on the east coast and are welcome to suggestions of sites. We want facilities, pool, shop, pub, activities for kids etc etc. We arent too bothered aboout the skeggy areas, we like filey / brid / scarbrough / witby and would consider a bit further.

Thanks for all your help so far on our search

Old 09-04-2012, 08:06

Hoburne charge 15% commission whether they sell it or you do and all sales have to be approved by the office. This is even if you sell to a family member like your sister.
If you aren't sure you are probably best to buy an older van with a short time left on the licence to try it out. It's a big investment and you do lose a lot if you sell quickly you can also be landed with paying site fees if you can't sell.
One van on our site has been for sale for three years to our knowledge and this is the last year it can be let out through Hoburne ( although it can be let privately) as it will be ten years old. It is overpriced which is why we didn't buy it.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.

Last edited by Maddy; 09-04-2012 at 09:15.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
Hoburne charge 15% commision whether they sell it or you do and all sales have to be approved by the office. This is even if you sell to a family member like your sister.
That's quite true Maddy, but at least Hoburne don't charge the new owner a higher site fee for buying THROUGH them rather than FROM them, as it seems several of the larger parks do!
We're on Hoburne Bashley, and I must say that so far I've got nothing but praise for the way we have been dealt with - everything up-front and in writing, no hidden surprises, non-pushy sales people, minor problems dealt with promptly and efficiently etc. Just hope we feel the same a few years down the line. What a pity all parks aren't like that, but there again, what would we have to moan about if they were?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:39

You are right it is their universe and they can do what they like! However there are decent park operators out there and if you are wary do as Maddy said. Try an older cheaper van to test the water and upgrade later at a time and for a van and pitch that suits you.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 09-04-2012, 09:15

I love our site and the management seem fine too. I wasn't criticising the 15% more pointing out it was the industry norm to charge commission.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55

Thanks for your comments so far. We would love to hear reccomendations of sites in this area Also, another option may be to buy offsite and move a van on so we get the best van for our money. There seems to be a massive variation of van prices when buying on sites!

eg a 2 year abi horizon 12ft 3 bed on primrose vally looking at 20k ish where a 4 year willerby vacation with heating 12ft 3 bed was under 14k on thornwick.

Is it worth looking at buying off site and moving onto a site that you can do this on?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani347 View Post
Thanks for your comments so far. We would love to hear reccomendations of sites in this area Also, another option may be to buy offsite and move a van on so we get the best van for our money. There seems to be a massive variation of van prices when buying on sites!

eg a 2 year abi horizon 12ft 3 bed on primrose vally looking at 20k ish where a 4 year willerby vacation with heating 12ft 3 bed was under 14k on thornwick.

Is it worth looking at buying off site and moving onto a site that you can do this on?
Conventional wisdom is always select Park first then pitch/van. Pick the wrong site can be an expensive lesson, it is easier to upgrade or buy another on your own site than selling or moving van to another park. Age restrictions on vans, facilities, location are among the things that can effect the cost of a van on a particular site.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/

Last edited by bluemax90; 09-04-2012 at 10:13.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax90 View Post
Conventional wisdom is always select Park first then pitch/van. Pick the wrong site can be an expensive lesson, it is easier to upgrade or buy purchase another on your own site than selling or moving van to another park
Yes I have read here that its site then pitch then van.

We will keep looking at sites and see what we can find, suggestions are welcome
Old 09-04-2012, 11:12

http://www.flowerofmay.com/flower-of-may-home-page.html
Old 09-04-2012, 11:49
Banned

dani 347 I have been quoted with fees as much as 6,000 pa and 90,000 for an ordinary static van with a 10 yr site licence. I like your self am looking for a van and when I get the van price I then take the annual fees and multiply by 10 add the two together and thatis the minimum you will be spending and thats not counting rates insurance gas and electric.That is why im not prepared to jump straight in the van I purchase wil lhave a good view and be 2 bedroom hopefully in the Lake district I also find the folk on this site very helpfull