Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 04-05-2018, 13:42

Default Toilet question

sorry - was trying to think of a title for the post and could not come up with one to describe it!

The static has now been delivered (hurrah, after weeks of soaking wet field or borehole drilling in the driveway)... we already have electricity in the field, the water runs out to a stop tap in the field so those are sorted. We have dug a French Drain for the grey water so the only thing left to sort is the actual loo.

Originally we were going to take out the conventional toilet and just put a cassette one in there - the van is just for friends and family, not for continual use or rental. BUT it does seem a shame to remove a perfectly good (and stable!) loo if there is a way round it - we are not going to dig a huge ditch to run into our septic tank so wondered if there was a way to connect it to a cassette? I know a normal loo flushes more than a cassette one but that can be overcome with the old "put a brick in the cistern" trick. The U bend on the toilet would stop any smells coming up that way but the hiccup would be getting an airtight seal into a holding tank while could be easily uncoupled, and the holding tank sealing up so it can be taken over to the septic tank. I have seen a couple of things such as the Smart Totes which are designed for RV people to be able to empty their tanks without driving to the pit.... I am guessing we could connect the pipe on that to the toilet pipe so it fills that way but rather hoping someone has had a similar situaion and come up with a brilliant solution to this. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2018, 00:48

i have a static van but have been following on youtube some self build camper vans and their toilet solutions, i would look at composting toilets, they seem to have taken off i sh$t you not, could be worth a look into !! before you poo poo the idea, could be a piss easy job to plumb it in ??
Old 05-05-2018, 09:45

Have you thought of using a saniflow mascerator? This would only require running a 40mm pipe from the unit straight to your septic tank.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionblue22 View Post
i have a static van but have been following on youtube some self build camper vans and their toilet solutions, i would look at composting toilets, they seem to have taken off i sh$t you not, could be worth a look into !! before you poo poo the idea, could be a piss easy job to plumb it in ??
Composting toilets have largely been given the thumbs down by narrowboaters and being an ex-narrowboater I have to agree. Have a look at Canalworld forum and use the search facility to see the pros and cons. https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?act=idx
Old 05-05-2018, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by edders View Post
Composting toilets have largely been given the thumbs down by narrowboaters and being an ex-narrowboater I have to agree. Have a look at Canalworld forum and use the search facility to see the pros and cons. https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?act=idx
maybe a fad that has not been so good as the hype ? and soon gone down the pan so to speak, the macerator plan sounds good, do they have a built in pump ? and what capacity would that be able to push ? thanks for the info.
Old 05-05-2018, 21:41

thanks both. Have read mixed reviews of composter loos but the ones that seem to be really efficient cost rather a lot (which would be worth it if the van is going to be used a lot but as it is really just a spare bedroom then no).

Same for macerators (plus that means digging up the garden to run pipes into the septic tank pipes and cannot even get the screws out of the inspection ports, plus thinking about it the pipe would have to either run uphill, then down or else down then uphill as not going to dismantle the chicken run for it to have a straight run (chicken run appx 3m x 10m)
Old 06-05-2018, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionblue22 View Post
maybe a fad that has not been so good as the hype ? and soon gone down the pan so to speak, the macerator plan sounds good, do they have a built in pump ? and what capacity would that be able to push ? thanks for the info.
Yes, the macerator has a built in pump. The following gives all information https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 08-05-2018, 15:50

It seems to be quite a tricky problem. Perhaps you could Google Plumbers merchants. Someone must have a solution. I recently bought an electric fire from a company called Banyo. Their business is mainly plumbing products. They may be able to help. I can fully recommend them for price and service as they were the cheapest of three quotes that I received their attitude and service was first class.

Here is a contact for you.
Vipin Thomas

Accounts Manager
Banyo Ltd T/A Nexus

64 St. Barnabas Road

Leicester

LE5 4BD
Tel: 0116 274 4059

I hope they can help you.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
It seems to be quite a tricky problem. Perhaps you could Google Plumbers merchants. Someone must have a solution. I recently bought an electric fire from a company called Banyo. Their business is mainly plumbing products. They may be able to help. I can fully recommend them for price and service as they were the cheapest of three quotes that I received their attitude and service was first class.

Here is a contact for you.
Vipin Thomas

Accounts Manager
Banyo Ltd T/A Nexus

64 St. Barnabas Road

Leicester

LE5 4BD
Tel: 0116 274 4059

I hope they can help you.
Thank you - we may have a solution but will be discussing with a lfriend next week.... We are in West Wales so would be cheeky to use your contact and not buy...