Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 18-03-2013, 19:26

Default Static as temporary home - off site.

Hi,
I'm new to all this, so please excuse any Statics or forum faux-pas!

I'm sure you've heard this all before, but a search of your site hasn't furnished me with the answers I need, so I'm going to ask away in the hopes that someone will enlighten me...

We own a derelict house that we're going to be renovating (starting whenever the planning is finally sorted!) and have permission from the council to site a static there to live in during the works.

Short of a few holidays in statics I have no experience of them whatsoever, and am not sure where to start. I dare say that we'll end up with whatever comes up on ebay (or similar) for the right budget, and that we can't be too picky, though that doesn't really matter - it's preferable to being homeless!

I really have no idea how we sort out the connection of the van (it's not really a van, is it?!) to the services - water, sewerage, electric, gas, phone... Anyone who can clear up the mess in my mind about turning a box into a home will be eternally loved.

I'm sure I will have a hundred questions as time progresses, but for now the connections are my main concern.

Thanks in advance, Rachel.

Old 18-03-2013, 19:32

Hi Rachel and a warm welcome to the forum from us. Not bad within 5 minutes is it? Sorry we can't help with your query as we're fairly new to statics ourselves but I'm sure that you're not the first to ask such questions but you need our Angela to point you in the right direction for previous topics on the forum. Best of luck!
Old 18-03-2013, 19:52

RSVP. Golden rules. Get an older dg, ch van and spend 5 to 6k on it. Its your home and has to be right. Look after it and you will get half your money back. Buy one for 3 k and your life will be hell and you wont get a penny back.

By old i mean 98 to 2002 ish.... they built a good van in that era. Do not buy off ebay or small ad try a good dealer or off a site... where are you exactly in the uk??
Old 18-03-2013, 20:42

double glazing & central heating is a must,you think you will be ok by putting on more jumpers ,no chance ,these tin boxes are freezing in winter like you wouldn't believe,its warmer outside ,good advice on buy from dealership ,if they have an old PX deal waiting to rot you could get a cracking deal with delivery & hook up included just to get rid if it from there stock

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...dy/caravan.jpg
Old 18-03-2013, 22:56

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVP View Post
Hi,
I'm new to all this, so please excuse any Statics or forum faux-pas!

I'm sure you've heard this all before, but a search of your site hasn't furnished me with the answers I need, so I'm going to ask away in the hopes that someone will enlighten me...

We own a derelict house that we're going to be renovating (starting whenever the planning is finally sorted!) and have permission from the council to site a static there to live in during the works.

Short of a few holidays in statics I have no experience of them whatsoever, and am not sure where to start. I dare say that we'll end up with whatever comes up on ebay (or similar) for the right budget, and that we can't be too picky, though that doesn't really matter - it's preferable to being homeless!

I really have no idea how we sort out the connection of the van (it's not really a van, is it?!) to the services - water, sewerage, electric, gas, phone... Anyone who can clear up the mess in my mind about turning a box into a home will be eternally loved.

I'm sure I will have a hundred questions as time progresses, but for now the connections are my main concern.

Hi Rachel, a very warm welcome to the forum.
There are a few threads on here I can think of that may be interesting to you. Ill find them in the Morning for you.

aboard!

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 19-03-2013, 01:21

Quote:
Hi,

Water - if you have water to your house anyway, connecting it up to the van should be easy enough - just make sure as much as possible of the linking pipe is buried deeply enough to avoid being frozen.

Sewerage - should be able to connect to the existing system (if any!) relatively simply (as long as your static is uphill of the connection point!)

Electricity - how derelict is the old house. Does it already have an existing supply?

Gas - rely on bottled for the duration of your stay in the static is my advice, but of course get all the gas appliances checked, and any new installations done, by a Gas Safe accredited engineer. This is very important.

Telephone - rely on mobile telephones. Don't involve the Spawn of Satan (trading under the name British Telecom ), unless you want to lose the will to live.

Henry
Old 19-03-2013, 09:25

Hi again. Firstly, I agree with above about the DG/CH, you want to be comfortable and warm if you're living in it, you're going to have enough stress in your lives without returning to a cold temporary home, but the gas may prove expensive, there are ways of complimenting the heat with Oil filled Rads, lots of us use those, much more economical if you're heating full time.

Ok, as promised, here's some links, you'll need to take the time to read through them, as it may contain individual posts that might be interesting, not particularly the title of the thread.
Any other Q's fire away, there's always someone around here to offer some help or advice should you need it
There is also a great thread in the Reference Hub here . Not all of the first post is applicable, but as you read through it, there's a guide for what to look for when buying used, also at the bottom of the first post are links to conversations between members on here about subjects like 'layouts' etc - even more important for you guys as you will be living in it full time. Take advantage of our hindsight - it's a wonderful thing! We also have an 'owners reviews' section here . I'll also tweet this thread, and lets see what comes up.

"Taking the full-time plunge"

"Making it warmer"

"Buying a static to live in"

Fitting a log burner

Carbon Monoxide safety

More Carbon Monoxide safety advice (signs and symptoms)

Tips for coping with condensation

Setting up static on land

Hope that helps, (you could be gone some time)

PS
Please follow GAS/ELECTRICITY SAFETY REGS, and NEVER be tempted to block off any air vents - they are there to keep you safe

Old 19-03-2013, 09:45

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

Will take your advice and look for a dealer and try to avoid ebay. We're in the Midlands (Worcestershire) so hopefully there's a few about. I am hoping that by the time winter properly sets in we'll be able to move into the house, even if it's unfinished, but I know what these things are like! We have two small children though (3 and 1) so the thought of being cooped up with them when they can't be running riot in the garden worries me!

Thanks Henry for the advice - unfortunately I think I may have to take on the challenge of BT as the area is very patchy for reception, and I can't manage a build being uncontactable. Now to work out how to get us above the drain :-/

I'll take a look at all the threads Angela has linked to when I get more than a few minutes - then I'll be back with more questions! Thanks again x
Old 19-03-2013, 09:53

I would grab a very large cuppa and sit in a very comfy chair

Any probs just ask we're here to help

(Can you tell we're as excited about following your journey as you sound!) well, I am

Ps layout is VERY important for you guys! A third bedroom would make a great 'toy room' and leave your space for living!

Old 19-03-2013, 15:45

Quote:
................................ I am hoping that by the time winter properly sets in we'll be able to move into the house, even if it's unfinished, .......................................
Thanks Henry for the advice - unfortunately I think I may have to take on the challenge of BT as the area is very patchy for reception, and I can't manage a build being uncontactable. ............................

Beginning of winter, eh? In that case BT should be about ready to install your line by the time you are moving in (if my experience is anything to go by!) Best of luck. Keep detailed records of all calls and communications.

Henry