Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2016, 23:27

Default Anyone thought of living in an off grid static or touring caravan?

I was recently reading up about people who live off grid in caravans and it's possible to convert a caravan into an off grid one.

These people use a wood burner instead of a gas or electric heater, and find their own wood for fires, thus the cost of heating is free, no more paying for gas. Cooking is done on an off grid stove (no gas).

They install a solar, wind or hydro generator (or a hybrid of these) to get free electricity for their caravan, thereby never having to pay for electricity bills ever again.

For washing, they collect rainwater for showers, and have a solar heater to heat the water.

Now obviously this will all cost a fair bit to set up...but once it's all set up it saves you money on bills in the long run, in fact there will be no energy bills anymore meaning you can live on less money.

I want to know if caravan sites allow off grid caravans. I don't see why not, as long as you're paying them ground rent. I know some of these off grid caravaners put their caravan on a farm or buy a small plot of land and put it on that (obviously they'll need planning permission).

Now a farmer in Skegness had a static to give away for free, I'd just need to pay to have it transported, but I need somewhere to put in. I'm thinking, if I could convert it to off grid I could live for the bare minimum of money without being ripped off for electric, gas etc.

Who here lives in (or has lived in) an off grid caravan? Where did you put the caravan? What was it like living off grid, did you manage to live ok? Could you give me some advice about how to do this. How can I do this in the cheapest way to get it set up asap? Thanks.

Last edited by nkcaravan; 19-03-2016 at 23:40.

Old 20-03-2016, 01:08
Departed Friend

sorry,i may be wrong,but I don,t think we,ll be a lot of help to you.we own our statics for,in the main,recreational purposes.
Old 20-03-2016, 06:56

With respect I think that you are looking in the wrong place for advice on this and the DSS funded option that you ask about in your other post

This forum is for recreational/holiday owners

Good Luck with your search
Old 20-03-2016, 07:41

Your dss payments go along way if you can afford to do all that to a caravan, all the things you are asking could probably be answered by 1 visit to a gypsy ( travellers ) site , they will have of grid resources you could enquire about .

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...dy/caravan.jpg
Old 23-03-2016, 09:15
Administrator

I have re-added this post to the forum but have also locked it as you have now asked this question (it different) ways numerous times now. Please re-read for other threads for advice and please tell us if you take action

Follow us on Twitter (Info)
Closed Thread