Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 08-02-2019, 21:16

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Default What are your Winter usage costs per visit?

For those of us who are using our statics over the Winter, how much does it cost you (approx) to use your caravan per weekend during the Winter?
Obviously whether or not you have CH will make a difference, but we estimate approx 5 per weekend in electric. We use a Delonghi Dragon 4 oil filled radiator to heat the whole caravan... It's awesome! Topped up with blown air every so often to move the warm air around. (we have blown air heaters in the kitchen and both bedrooms). We do not leave any form of heating on overnight. It's hard to measure gas usage in our case as we use gas bottles, but we've only used 3 x 19kg bottles in the past 12 months. Our lowest temp so far has been -3.
Having had most weekends and 6 weeks holiday in total. We're happy with that.
What are your estimated costs?

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1

Last edited by Angela M; 09-02-2019 at 03:57.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:23

Our Electricity cost is around 2 per day and the Gas is 1.48 per day. We are here all winter and it has been cold outside but nice and warm inside. Gas price per 47Kl bottle is 69.50. The electric fire is on almost all day when we are in the van and the C/H comes on twice per day.
We have an electric oven and a Gas Hob. We cook proper meals every day.

Last edited by Mosquito; 11-02-2019 at 12:25.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:53
Supporting Member

Not sure what my electric is, ?? The TV is on most of the day and a 47kg gas bottle lasts me a couple of months, mind you will going down most weekends and having the Central heating on as well as for cooking Gas seems to be the biggest expense for me but at 51 a bottle it's not too bad.

The park as also dropped their prices also but its still about 12 more than buying it yourself.

I also have a wireless thermostat and can control the heating before i get there so its nice and warm. Usually i kept the thermostat down to the 5 degree frost setting and that keeps the Caravan free of any musty damp smells.

I've been on site since last may and have not received an electric bill as yet, But i have free site fees for another 2 years so was wondering is it included in that ??

At night time i turn off the Central Heating and find that its about 15 degrees when i get up which is not too bad.
Old 11-02-2019, 15:56

We are only electric and arriving early Saturday and going late Sunday its between 4 and 5 which I think is pretty good. That would include the fridge and freezer running all the time.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 11-02-2019, 17:40
Supporting Member

To be quite honest I’m not sure as this is the 1st year we have been able to use our van betweeen November to March. I suspect it might be more than a couple of pounds a day at the moment.
Old 11-02-2019, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Our Electricity cost is around 2 per day and the Gas is 1.48 per day. We are here all winter and it has been cold outside but nice and warm inside. Gas price per 47Kl bottle is 69.50. The electric fire is on almost all day when we are in the van and the C/H comes on twice per day.
We have an electric oven and a Gas Hob. We cook proper meals every day.
Can I ask how your gas usage is worked out? 1.48 is really good,as we are on piped gas and use more than 1 unit at around 2.50 per unit...
Old 12-02-2019, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Can I ask how your gas usage is worked out? 1.48 is really good,as we are on piped gas and use more than 1 unit at around 2.50 per unit...
Hi treetopper, I looked at the number of gas bottles we have used in the eight months that we are here. The price has been the same for that period, so that's static. Multiply the price by the number of bottles and then divide by the number of days we are on site. Our van is built to residential spec, A-rated D/G and A-rated boiler. I suppose that means that the thermal quality will hold the heat better. Of course, it's not as easy as that because it depends on what time you have your heating on. When we are in the lounge/kitchen area we have our electric fire on all day if we aren't going out and the C/H comes on in the morning and again in the afternoon. I suspect all members of the forum will have different usage depending on their needs.

Last edited by Mosquito; 12-02-2019 at 09:22.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:18
Supporting Member

Default Electric price

Hi Everyone,
May I ask how much do you pay per unit please ? We pay 26p.We are just in the process of going from gas to electric fire for my wifes health. Am I right in thinking 2kw per hour equates to 52p per hour ?
Regards, yokker.
Old 12-02-2019, 15:37

Interesting. I have just calculated my gas and electricity daily usage cost for last year (which was my first full year). Gas was 2.21 (I closed up with a half used bottle of gas in situ so may be a bit out) and electricity was just 36p. I have DG and CH and an A rated combi boiler but normal insulation, a gas hob and oven and a gas fire (gas fire rarely used) however, in September I had a 7' x 7' porch/sun room added by the main door which is D/G and fully insulated. I only started using an OFR at that time to heat the porch. It'll be interesting to see what this year's daily usage rates work out to be.
Old 12-02-2019, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokker View Post
Hi Everyone,
May I ask how much do you pay per unit please ? We pay 26p.We are just in the process of going from gas to electric fire for my wifes health. Am I right in thinking 2kw per hour equates to 52p per hour ?
Regards, yokker.
That looks right to me.

I have just checked our electricity bill. We used 3033 units at a cost of 406.04 GBP = 0.133p per unit. Add to that standing charge 13.73 + electricity infrastructure charge 55.98 +invoice admin fee 7.44 = 483.19 = 0.159p per unit call it 16p per unit.

We only receive our electric bill once per year. So it's quite a lot cheaper than what you are paying. 10p per unit. That seems expensive unless ours is cheap. Maybe your park needs to switch suppliers.