Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 17-05-2019, 11:48
Supporting Member

Default Low signal wifi ??

Ok

So you have a wifi hub or hotspot that you use but your not getting a good signal ??

I have a Huawei wifi hub and the speed was pretty decent but when the site is full, then i noticed that my internet was slow and the netflix fils took ages to load.

I Bought a couple of Antennas from Amazon for £9.99 and now my speeds both download and upload has increase by at least 5Mbps

I'm getting Download Speeds of 25.60 Mbps and upload speeds of 15.64Mmps

So i would recommend getting an antenna for whatever wifi set up you have, Its the first step to better speeds or alternatively you could push the boat out and get an external antenna, but for the sake of a tenner and better speeds all round its a win win for me!!

Old 20-05-2019, 17:56

Our Huawei homefi has a socket for one antenna but do they all ? if not how would you use it

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 20-05-2019, 21:59

Dual antennas are called MIMO antennas. Stands for multiple in multiple out. They work better than a single antenna because they pick up direct signals, reflections of signals etc and combine them for a stronger receive/transmit capability. If you have a HomeFi with only 1 antenna socket, then you wont have the benefit of multiple pathway signal pickup to avoid dead spots and multiple signal reflections which cancel each other out but you will still see a boost to your signal capability just by using one antenna because the external add on antenna will have greater efficiency compared to the internal antenna. So just buy one higher gain antenna and use that. Not quite as good as a MIMO setup but still a decent improvement. If you remember the old analogue TV signal where you often saw ghosting on the picture, that is signal reflection where the master signal from the transmitter bounces off a surface and arrives out of phase with the main signal and either cancels out the signal or gives a degraded multiple image. Thats what MIMO antennas seek to avoid. Your one antenna would still give you a decent signal improvement compared to the inbuilt less powerful internal antenna on your HomeFi unit. Available on Amazon etc.

Last edited by RRRob; 20-05-2019 at 22:25.
Old 22-05-2019, 16:32

Hi everybody, I'm back in Spain for the summer but before I left the new Wi-Fi on site had gone from good to very poor. I contacted the owner of the Wi-Fi company to let him know and he said he was in the process of erecting a new mast and that everything would be sorted. That was a couple of weeks before I left for Spain. The day before leaving, I was trying to transfer some money via a currency company that I use and the internet was very slow. At the last part of the transfer, the Wi-Fi went down I was so annoyed that I phoned the guy again only to go straight through to voicemail. Needless to say, I left him a very blunt message. It looks like his good deal is only good when there are only are a few people on the park. I will see what it's like on my return and see what I can do about it if it's still as bad. When I asked him if his speeds were guaranteed he assured me that they were.
Old 25-07-2019, 18:14

My 4G router is the Huawei B315 which has a TEL socket on the back which I have a BT4600 DECT digital phone plugged into. This gives me 18 Mbps average speed for data & crystal clear phone calls as good as you can get on a landline phone & often better. With a £20 per month Giffgaff SIM I get 40Gb data & unlimited calls. When I saw the Three networks unlimited package for only £22 a month, I thought it would be perfect. But being cautious, I wanted to see the signal strength & reliability of 3 before I committed to a 12 month or 2 year contract. So I sent for a PAYG SIM and put £20 on it and put it into the router & set up the network profile and logon details exactly as described by 3. I was pleased to find a near full strength 4g signal and got great data speeds from the router, but when I tried to make a phone call, I got the mobile dial tone but the network refused the call. So I am pretty sure that 3 have blocked the use of normal phone calls with this system because neither my own programmed profile or the routers auto setup would allow the phone calls. When I tried the SIM in my phone, it worked for data & calls so not sure if its a fault of my doing in the setup or if 3 really have blocked calls via a router.

I see that at least a few of you on here are also using the Huawei routers and the 310, 311 & 315 are basically the same so wondered if anyone else had managed to get their 4G router to make calls as well as data on the 3 network? I would love to sign up to a 1 or 2 year contract with 3 as we have an excellent signal & unlimited data would be perfect, but not if it does not work as a phone & WiFi unit. ANYONE ELSE MANAGED TO DO THIS OR BE WILLING TO TRY TO SEE IF IT WORKS FOR THEM & CAN LET ME KNOW PLEASE?
Old 25-07-2019, 20:53

Sorry Rob , I donít have this router or a 3 sim , but didnít realise you could plug a phone into it , thatís a useful feature ...one that my router hasnít got .
Have you tried contacting 3 and see what they say. Just had a quick look and the pay as you go sims have unlimited minutes but the broadband ones only have data and mention itís X amount per text but nothing about minutes.
So maybe you need a different sim ? I read somewhere the supplier can not tell you which device the sim is for so even though they call it a phone sim it can be used in a router etc.
Old 25-07-2019, 21:25

Yes I will contact 3 and ask them as you suggest but thought a bit of friendly advice from here rather than from a sales person getting you to sign up with them would be better. The B-315 I bought from Amazon unlocked works just as good as a landline with broadband would do. Any powered home phone of any manufacture works just by plugging into the TEL socket on the back of the router & works brilliantly for us both at the caravan & at home. Wherever we go, we take it with us and as long as you have mains power it works just fine so we have now cancelled our home phone & broadband landline service & saved ourselves nearly 400 quid a year! Cant say if it works on other networks but on Giffgaff it works great!
Old 26-07-2019, 09:05

We have the 3 homefi router. Absolutely no issues. If the power goes off it reboots and the camera logs back onto it with out any issues. You cant plug a phone in but our mobile logs onto it for wifi as do the amazon fire stick and ipads. We went for the 24 month £22 unlimited deal but its currently even cheaper for the first 6 months

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 27-07-2019, 16:01
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
Yes I will contact 3 and ask them as you suggest but thought a bit of friendly advice from here rather than from a sales person getting you to sign up with them would be better. The B-315 I bought from Amazon unlocked works just as good as a landline with broadband would do. Any powered home phone of any manufacture works just by plugging into the TEL socket on the back of the router & works brilliantly for us both at the caravan & at home. Wherever we go, we take it with us and as long as you have mains power it works just fine so we have now cancelled our home phone & broadband landline service & saved ourselves nearly 400 quid a year! Cant say if it works on other networks but on Giffgaff it works great!
Hi Rob, I have the same router as you but i'm being told that the tel plug is for VOIP and you need a number and Voip account for it to work?

I have a spare DECT cordless phone set at home which i'm going to try next time i go to the caravan

I have a 3 Sim on Unlimited Data on contract
Old 27-07-2019, 16:15

Hi Gerry, we use a normal DECT cordless home phone. It does not need VOIP or anything else. On Giffgaff it just goes out using our normal mobile number & if someone rings the mobile number, the DECT phone rings. But tried a 3 SIM in the router and data worked but not the phone. If you get the chance to try plugging in a phone yourself I hope it works as well for you as it does for us and would love to hear from you with your experience.