Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 23-04-2016, 07:46

Hi Mudmonster, I hope that it doesn't prove to be too costly. Swift gave a twelve months warranty which doesn't seem too long but I suppose in line with other manufacturers. For an item that cost so much from new you would probably expect a longer guarantee.

How about the sale of goods act that was mentioned earlier?

Old 23-04-2016, 08:04

I believe the sale of goods act states something along the lines of that it must be suitable for purpose for 6 yrs , ingress of water is not suitable for purpose .on the other hand all the time your arguing more water is coming in , will the insurance cover it ?
Old 23-04-2016, 16:38

You might find that the best help could come via the National Association of Caravan Owners. Membership is £24 yearly and if necessary you get free access to their solicitors but as a minimum they will advise on the best way initially to deal with your problem.
I found that they were very helpful when I needed advice.
Their site says, "Membership to NACO means that you’ll have access to all of our member only benefits. Whether it's our specially tailored static caravan insurance policy designed with our members in mind, or being able to pick up the phone and speak to a member of our Advice Team about any situation at your caravan or park. Join over 10,000 NACO members in holiday parks throughout the UK today!"
You have nothing to lose but a wealth of experience that you can call on to possibly help you. Give them a try!
Tel: 01255 820 321 and speak to one of their advisors.
It's at least worth the cost of a phone call to find that there is an organisation that can as a minimum help you with the stress that you must be going through. They helped me when I needed it.
Old 23-04-2016, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside21 View Post
You might find that the best help could come via the National Association of Caravan Owners. Membership is £24 yearly and if necessary you get free access to their solicitors but as a minimum they will advise on the best way initially to deal with your problem.
I found that they were very helpful when I needed advice.
Their site says, "Membership to NACO means that you’ll have access to all of our member only benefits. Whether it's our specially tailored static caravan insurance policy designed with our members in mind, or being able to pick up the phone and speak to a member of our Advice Team about any situation at your caravan or park. Join over 10,000 NACO members in holiday parks throughout the UK today!"
You have nothing to lose but a wealth of experience that you can call on to possibly help you. Give them a try!
Tel: 01255 820 321 and speak to one of their advisors.
It's at least worth the cost of a phone call to find that there is an organisation that can as a minimum help you with the stress that you must be going through. They helped me when I needed it.
It sounds like good advice. It looks as if good advice is required in this situation.
Old 24-04-2016, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Sorry to be reading your update with Swift's response.
So at three years old, from what you have said, Swift accepted that the window seals were at fault and carried out remedial work.
At five years old, it appears you have a similar problem in another room. You mentioned your concern originally but Swift didn't feel the need to take any action re the smaller bedroom at that time.
So are you now seeing the result of water ingress which has been happening since you had Swift repair the van first time round, or could it be entirely unrelated ?
Either way, you have a five year old van with a damp problem and Swift are not interested.
I hope you get some good news when you have an engineer check it for you and that there is a reasonably priced remedy.
I wonder if Swift's responses is fairly standard in the industry.
We had a couple of damp patches on our wall recently following a leak from a roof vent. They appear to have dried up following repair, but I can't be sure what if any damage is hidden from sight in the wall cavity.
Our one year warranty expires next week, so we are keeping our fingers crossed.
Best of luck and hope it's fixed soon.
Thanks - swift replaced the wall boards in this room too, but looks like the water is still an issue.
Old 24-04-2016, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
It sounds like good advice. It looks as if good advice is required in this situation.

Thanks all for your advice. I'm going to look at all options now. Once we get the info from the engineer I'll check my insurance, and also the 6 year ruling. The caravan group also looks like a great source of info. I'll keep you informed!
Old 25-04-2016, 23:27

I'm sorry to read about your Swift Burgundy, Mudminster! You must be devastated.

Interesting though to see that someone else has put a post on here that is almost identical and it's the same model of caravan and a similar age too!

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10077

Makes you wonder if Swift have just had a run of bad luck or is it down to something else like bad workmanship!

Hope you get it sorted out!
Old 28-04-2016, 06:25

Promising news from my dealership - they have been brilliant! They emailed swift again and this is the reply

They are willing to send out a Swift engineer to carry out an assessment on the following terms…

· If the engineer determines it is as a result of manufacture, ie the cause of the water ingress was as a direct failure of the production methods used, then we will cover the cost of the repair, and undertake the work, as a goodwill gesture, as the van is now out of warranty.
· If the engineer finds that the cause is a manufacturing, but the van has not been properly maintained, then we will not cover all of the cost, and we will ask for a portion of the cost to be paid by the customer. (we would be prepared to undertake the repair and would do so at cost price)
· If the engineer finds that the cause is not due to manufacturing defect, ie the cause is wear and tear, due to weather, or age of the product, then we will not cover any of the cost associated with the repair. ( we would not undertake the work)

We had an engineer look st it and he believes that water is coming in through the seals on the outer panels of the van and he also found the damp levels to be high around the seals on the kitchen window.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
Watch this space!
Old 28-04-2016, 06:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianda24 View Post
I'm sorry to read about your Swift Burgundy, Mudminster! You must be devastated.

Interesting though to see that someone else has put a post on here that is almost identical and it's the same model of caravan and a similar age too!

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10077

Makes you wonder if Swift have just had a run of bad luck or is it down to something else like bad workmanship!

Hope you get it sorted out!

Yes, I've just read this. It is odd how previous engineers commented on sub standard sealant being used around 2011.
Old 28-04-2016, 08:05

Your last correspondence from Swift seems positive but make sure you have a copy of your report from the company that have assessed the damage for you. It will add to your case.

Good luck, Please keep us informed of any new developments.