Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 17-07-2016, 17:53

***Update*** Swift have agreed that the water ingress is due to a manufacturing fault and that as (another!) 'gesture of goodwill' they have fixed it. They came to work on the van 2 weeks ago. The smell has already gone which is fantastic news. All thanks to the great company that we bought the van from as we didn't get anywhere with swift by emailing them independently.

Thanks all for you advice!

Old 17-07-2016, 20:06

that's good

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 18-07-2016, 00:17

Excellent news Mudmonster. I'm so pleased that you have finally got it sorted. Well done for persevering.
Old 18-07-2016, 10:35

So glad that you managed to get Swift to see sense. No company likes bad publicity and if they cannot fob you off they normally will come round. We had problems with our 2011 Swift Moselle and as well as still trying remedial work 18 months after we purchased our site increased our warranty to two years. Our site used Swift vans also as part of their hire fleet but now seem to have gone over to Carnaby?
This instance just goes to show the necessity of keeping a record of all paperwork, phone calls and the dates and names of the people that you talk to.
Might not seem necessary at the time but is good 'insurance' in case things go wrong later.
Hope that you are now able to fully enjoy your van.
Old 18-07-2016, 12:43

That's fantastic news. It shows what persevering when initially things do go your way can do.

As you say the dealer who sold you the van did an excellent job.
Old 28-03-2019, 20:52

I've just returned from the second weekend at my Swift Boudeaux which we bought new in October 2015 and noticed damp patches with salty deposits on the walls both the main bedroom window and small bedroom window. i didn't notice them when we stayed a couple of weeks ago when we opened up the caravan for the season. (it was a cold weekend and there was some condensation on the windows in the morning) i'm wondering if its just water running off the windows staining the walls or leaking window seals. is there any way to tell? Will purchasing a damp meter help?
Old 28-03-2019, 22:00
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopthewag View Post
I've just returned from the second weekend at my Swift Boudeaux which we bought new in October 2015 and noticed damp patches with salty deposits on the walls both the main bedroom window and small bedroom window. i didn't notice them when we stayed a couple of weeks ago when we opened up the caravan for the season. (it was a cold weekend and there was some condensation on the windows in the morning) i'm wondering if its just water running off the windows staining the walls or leaking window seals. is there any way to tell? Will purchasing a damp meter help?
You'd be better off buying a small electric Dehumidifier that will do the whole caravan.

I take it you have no Double Glazing or central heating ??
Old 29-03-2019, 08:39

Have a look on the outside for any missing sealant / damaged gutters etc , we did have really bad weather the other Saturday so that could be the cause .... I say that because we was in our van at the time and we found condensation in our van that we had never noticed before , I think this is caused by using the van in conditions it wasn’t meant for living in , ie a summer van in winter , we did what Gerry suggested , we went and bought a dehumidifier so we can use the van when we want . I would take pictures and let whoever sold the van know , it should still be weather proof after 3 and a half years .
Old 29-03-2019, 15:43

I have a Swift Burgundy, build date 2015, purchased it 2016
This is now our 3rd year and so far not had any issues regarding damp.
I have double glazing & central heating And I purchased a Meaco 12L Dehumidifier, cheap to run 165watts with variable humidistat, so able to keep moisture levels down.
It also has an optional HEPA filter, so able to filter the summer pollen

I have also purchased a ThermPro indoor Humidity & Temp monitor for my rear master bedroom with ensuite.

Last edited by sparkrace22; 29-03-2019 at 15:54.
Old 29-03-2019, 16:11
Supporting Member

Another idea is you can fit a digital thermostat and set it to 5 degrees to stop the dampness and musty smell. This sldo helps with making sure your pipes dont freeze in the winter

A bit of peace of mind for minimal cost