Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 22-05-2018, 11:55

Hi
I have it in writing in an email from them saying no age limit. People have been on there 10 years . They do seem to be a very friendly hands on site with the owners living there too. Like they say its if my nerves can take it! Thanks again everyone for your comments

Old 22-05-2018, 16:35

I wouldn't touch it myself. Okay the existing owners may be fine but what if they sell. If you only have an annual licence you could be asked to leave and not have a leg to stand on.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 22-05-2018, 17:05

This must be a really difficult situation. It sounds as if the site owner is very much hands-on, it sounds as if there are lot of owners who have been there a long time and have no problems. The 12 month lease really does put you at a legal disadvantage if things go wrong, or indeed if the owner sells up.
BUT - as has been pointed out many times before, there is no guarantee that even with a long lease there will not be problems if a site changes hands.
Many of the problems that people complain about are actually caused by other owners, rather than the site itself - so maybe, just maybe, a short lease is the site owners method of easily weeding out anyone causing problems.
It really does come down to gut feeling - would you regret it more by not taking a gamble, or will the worry about a short lease spoil your enjoyment?
Only you know the answer to that.
Good luck.
Old 22-05-2018, 17:43

There are quite a few on here on no age limit sites,that are happy to have 12 month licence ....e.g. Mosquito, so at least you are going into your deal armed with all the info....good luck
Old 22-05-2018, 19:14
Supporting Member

There are NO guarantees at all for a static caravan owner on a holiday site, apart from it is costing you money. You may have this type of contract or that type of contract, but history tells us that tomorrow it might be all change.
I am no expert but know a little about sites on the Yorks coast and over time many have changed hands and new owners have changed site rules. This has resulted in no age limit sites becoming 10 year max sites, ground rents tripling etc.
But this didn't stop me buying a van on a site and having got much pleasure from having it. So just be aware and go into having a van with your eyes open, don’t daydream, just make happy memories at you home from home whilst you’re there.
Old 23-05-2018, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahharahouse View Post
Hi
I have spoken with a few people on the site and everyone is the same. The reason the park give is there isnt a age limit on the park as long as your van is looking nice and kept well then they dont ask you to leave. Still doesnt make sense but it seems to be how this smaller company run. But yes makes me unsure but everyone on the site seems to be happy ?
We don't have a time limit on our park. In theory, we could be thrown off at any time. In reality, the park is run really well by family owners who take a pride in the park and there have been no bad stories at all. I asked other owners on the park before taking the plunge.

I'm happy with what I have signed up to and have no regrets. If you have any doubts don't do it.

Remember there are pluses and minuses. If you have a time limit, you will need to be prepared to either move off the park at the end of your allotted time or upgrade, if that offer is available to you. That would be very expensive, either way.
Old 23-05-2018, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
We don't have a time limit on our park. In theory, we could be thrown off at any time. In reality, the park is run really well by family owners who take a pride in the park and there have been no bad stories at all. I asked other owners on the park before taking the plunge.

I'm happy with what I have signed up to and have no regrets. If you have any doubts don't do it.

Remember there are pluses and minuses. If you have a time limit, you will need to be prepared to either move off the park at the end of your allotted time or upgrade, if that offer is available to you. That would be very expensive, either way.
We have seen people buy on sites and give up within a year,even with 15 year licence....due to finance ,circumstances can change e.g. health or moving house...
Old 24-05-2018, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
We have seen people buy on sites and give up within a year,even with 15 year licence....due to finance ,circumstances can change e.g. health or moving house...
That's an unfortunate problem for some owners. When we buy our vans we can have the foresight to see potential problems but you can't always think about what might happen, otherwise, we would never do anything.
Old 05-06-2018, 17:30
Supporting Member

We are on a no age limit site. Its a small independent site, but we all have 20 year leases. You get 12 month leases thereafter so long as your van is kept nice and tidy.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeyBlue View Post
We are on a no age limit site. Its a small independent site, but we all have 20 year leases. You get 12 month leases thereafter so long as your van is kept nice and tidy.
That seems like a great deal. I'm sure that you are happy with that.