Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 19-11-2018, 11:53

I got a Huawei 4g Wi-Fi hotspot. It didn't work. I sent it back and got a TPLink one with a 2g a month sum from O2 for £6 a month. I know it's not much but we have 2g each on our phones as well and we don't stream films etc. Loads of data for us as we can move the data between devices.

Old 19-11-2018, 13:18
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul BK View Post
I got a Huawei 4g Wi-Fi hotspot. It didn't work. I sent it back and got a TPLink one with a 2g a month sum from O2 for £6 a month. I know it's not much but we have 2g each on our phones as well and we don't stream films etc. Loads of data for us as we can move the data between devices.
Paul, have a PC crazy family and we love watching movies, so my old EE wifi dongle was getting too hot plugged in all day plus we didn't leave in connected because of this reason.

Its important that if you buy a Wifi 4g Hub, That you get one thats unlocked to the mobile service, so if you have an EE simcard you need a EE hub. The One i got was "Unlocked" so i could put whatever simcard i wanted in.

Old 19-11-2018, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
Paul, have a PC crazy family and we love watching movies, so my old EE wifi dongle was getting too hot plugged in all day plus we didn't leave in connected because of this reason.

Its important that if you buy a Wifi 4g Hub, That you get one thats unlocked to the mobile service, so if you have an EE simcard you need a EE hub. The One i got was "Unlocked" so i could put whatever simcard i wanted in.

Yeah, the one I have now is unlocked and I use O2. Mind you can buy what data you want. The Huawei one looked like it was working but wasnt. I rang their customer services, the man there blamed the sim, which I had tested in my phone. Then he said it was faulty and to send it back. I did, then got an email from his colleague telling me how to set it up!!! The TPLink one needed setting up but worked after customer services talked me through it.
Old 24-11-2018, 18:56

Big big thanks Gerry. Gizmo fitting and working just as you said it would. Brilliant signal too.
Just have to see how economical is is compared to WiFi. But thatís secondary. Thanks again Nich
Old 24-11-2018, 20:32
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichthewood View Post
Big big thanks Gerry. Gizmo fitting and working just as you said it would. Brilliant signal too.
Just have to see how economical is is compared to WiFi. But thatís secondary. Thanks again Nich
No Worries Nich, glad to help Did you manage to set it up ok, I changed the Wifi Name and password so that it was easy to find and log onto. I could do this with the App on my mobile.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:41

Well all sorted and working great. 4G mifi working. Solves that problem ��. I will say it is looking to be expensive to run. PAYG 4G data is not cheap, we’re using payg SIM card. As we only intend to be at the caravan 28ish weeks a year a contract works out the be more expensive in the long run. I’m monitoring it and we shall see. I would recommend it anyway.

Last edited by nichthewood; 01-12-2018 at 10:48.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:46

Paul. I tried to use my phone sim in mine but it wouldn’t work. I fitted a data sim and all works fine. I’m not sure if an ordinary sim will work. It’s unlocked too.
I’m sure someone will tell me.��
Old 01-12-2018, 11:30
Supporting Member

Quote:
Well all sorted and working great. 4G mifi working. Solves that problem ��. I will say it is looking to be expensive to run. PAYG 4G data is not cheap, weíre using payg SIM card. As we only intend to be at the caravan 28ish weeks a year a contract works out the be more expensive in the long run. Iím monitoring it and we shall see. I would recommend it anyway.
Payg data is more expensive in general, I had a spare contract phone which i was paying £15 a month for on contract, I changed the tariff to a data tarrif and now get 50GB for £30

Now when you look at how long that lasts it works out roughly about 1 gb an hour so roughly i can watch 6 films a week on Netflix, Now TV or Prime Video, Not that i do but it give you a rough idea

Plus i use that data when i'm there on my phone which saves my phones data usage, as well as my laptop and my kids bits too.

The fact that i leave the hub on 24hrs means that i can control the heating, 5 degrees when i'm not there to prevent freezing and i can turn it up on the car journey there so its warm for when i arrive.

I can also download movies at home to my memory stick and use this to watch movies at the caravan, that will also save you data if you don't have much
Old 01-12-2018, 11:36
Supporting Member

Quote:
Paul. I tried to use my phone sim in mine but it wouldnít work. I fitted a data sim and all works fine. Iím not sure if an ordinary sim will work. Itís unlocked too.
Iím sure someone will tell me.��
Not sure if you could use a normal phone sim as the data on those are normally quite low, dependent on the tariff. If you have an old contract phone you don't use you could try and change the tariff for more data and you'll find that you'll get unlimited calls and texts also which means you'll be able to pop it back into your mobile when your not at the caravan.

However Giff Gaff will give you 20gb of data for £20 with no contract https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-pl...YaAkOAEALw_wcB

But that would depend on the signal strength for that particular provider
Old 01-12-2018, 11:40

I use a Vodafone sim , I buy the 15gb for £25 , this can last up to 90 days , depends how much data you use ,Iíve only had it since summer , but I reckon I would need to top it up 5 - 6 times a year so hopefully no more than £150 a year