Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 04-06-2019, 18:15
Supporting Member

Default Another wifi Suprise

Just found this great deal on Unlimited Data from the 3 Network

Not only that you also get..

Go Roam
With our Advanced plans, you can use your data to upload your holiday selfies, and call and text home, at no extra cost in 71 destinations all over the world.

Personal hotspot
With Personal Hotspot, you can use your existing data allowance to connect other devices to your phone and get online. Pretty handy when there's no Wi-Fi.

Unlimited data
Enjoy as much data as you'll ever need. Browse, download, email and play, without worrying that you're going over your allowance.

and all for £20 a month

If you use a wifi hub or dongle you can take it home with you and use it at home also, totally unlimited data

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Last edited by Gerry1964; 04-06-2019 at 18:18.

Old 19-06-2019, 16:37

Yeah I saw that, ultimately decided against as it's a 24 month contract and i would in reality only use it for a short season. The mobile signal is rubbish at home and we have a good deal on fibre broadband. But very tempting if are an intensive user. When I'm not at the caravan I only use 100mb per month on my phone so would be a waste. I also looked at VOXI and giff gaff as you can stop and start the contract.

I get 4gb / month on my phone with Three so just use a mifi to cover when I have used up my monthly allowance. I can buy an 5gb add on if required.

I have a mifi gadget with a Three payg 24month 24gb prepaid sim. £41.99 (£60 on three web site!)

We don't stream video so just email and a little surfing checking weather/ bank accounts so the payg card I bought march last year still has 2 gb left on it.

The site we are on has free wifi only at the club house so when theres a big match on it's full of middle aged men watching on their iPad with a pint|
Old 21-06-2019, 09:35

My question is, does it also give you WI-Fi? As you will appreciate, I'm not technically minded.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:57

I have just set up using this very deal. this is a sim only deal so no WiFi. I used a D-Link DWR-953 Wireless AC1200 4G LTE Multi‑WAN Router from Amazon and 1st bought a 2GB Three pay as you go for £6. I used this to test the signal at our caravan before going the whole hog on a 2 year contract. Easy to set up worked right out of the box. I then ordered the unlimited sim and also a Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 Cross Polarised 4G Omni LTE Antenna external antenna. getting 25mb/s download without trying. We have an old laptop we use to watch sky go, Amazon Prime, BT sport and all other online data hoggs. Yes we dont use it for 2 months of the year but we also dont have to worry about us/kids using too much data. Thoroughly recommend
Old 21-06-2019, 13:25
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
My question is, does it also give you WI-Fi? As you will appreciate, I'm not technically minded.
To try and explain this simply. The sim does not give you WiFi in itself. It is the link that connects you to the outside world and the amount you can do that is set dependant on how much you pay.
Sims normally are used in mobile phones. However there are now hubs ( some known as routers), that you put the same sims in, to use the same 3G/4g networks for outside connections that you can connect to (by using WiFi) with whatever smart TVís, laptops, or whatever you use.
Old 22-06-2019, 07:02

Thanks, Gazsun and DavidE.
We have a new WI-Fi supplier on our park and we are supposed to get 20mb/s download and 20mb/s upload but as soon as the park started to get busy before we left for home, it deteriorated to the point that it was almost useless. That coupled with the fact that the guy who sells the package kept switching it off when he was trying to improve the system didn't help. If it isn't fixed when I get back in September, I will need to make alternative arrangements.
Old 22-06-2019, 17:55
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Thanks, Gazsun and DavidE.
We have a new WI-Fi supplier on our park and we are supposed to get 20mb/s download and 20mb/s upload but as soon as the park started to get busy before we left for home, it deteriorated to the point that it was almost useless. That coupled with the fact that the guy who sells the package kept switching it off when he was trying to improve the system didn't help. If it isn't fixed when I get back in September, I will need to make alternative arrangements.
This is the trouble that a lot of internet suppliers have, be they supplying by landline, 3G/4G, or relay (as many caravan parks have). I.E. They start quoting speeds available based on average usage but if everyone uses it at the same time the bandwidth to each user ends up restricted.
At whatever point in the supply system you think of there will be a maximum available & if too many folk are using it each persons share will be limited.This has been a fact of life seen the internet became available to the public.
Old 24-06-2019, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
This is the trouble that a lot of internet suppliers have, be they supplying by landline, 3G/4G, or relay (as many caravan parks have). I.E. They start quoting speeds available based on average usage but if everyone uses it at the same time the bandwidth to each user ends up restricted.
At whatever point in the supply system you think of there will be a maximum available & if too many folk are using it each persons share will be limited.This has been a fact of life seen the internet became available to the public.
I thought that would be the case. I sent him a very blunt email before I left. As I said in my last post, I hope that it's been fixed when I get back in September.
Old 25-06-2019, 17:32

The way I described it to people is to imagine the internet connection is a water pipe.

A 1" pipe will supply a house quite happily if only one person is washing or filling a kettle. As soon as you try and run a bath and a washing machine and flush the loo at the same time then the pressure to each end point drops.

Then try and supply 4-5 houses from that single pipe....

To get round it you need to up the size of the pipe.
Old 26-06-2019, 16:24

The thing that annoys me is that I asked the provider if the speeds were guaranteed and he told me that they were. I know that there have been a lot of complaints against this guy so, at the end of the day, I hope that the park will put pressure on him and if he fails to deliver, hopefully, they will find a new supplier.