Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 22-06-2019, 10:44

Default Rock Solid

How solid should the floor feel on a static caravan.
Should there be absolutely no movement or vibration if somebody else walks across the floor at the opposite end of the caravan?

Old 22-06-2019, 15:02

Can feel ours shake sometimes , I did go under van once and cranked up one of the supports but it’s not enough of a shake to bother going under the van again
Old 23-06-2019, 10:05

If I put a few more axle stands under it, where do I put them without causing damage to the chassis?
Old 23-06-2019, 12:51

If it’s a new van it should have stickers on telling you where , if not check out other vans on your site or go to a dealers to see where stickers are placed , just having a look at van next to mine and they are place along the 2 main steel beams that run the length of the van where the cross beams intersect , our 35ft van has 6 along each beam , van next to us is bit longer has 8
Old 23-06-2019, 14:03

You miss my point. The van has all of the relevant axle stands under all of the necessary sticker points at the moment.
I am talking about putting additional axle stands under the chassis.
Old 23-06-2019, 15:21

Hi Springtime

When we purchased our van there was a fair bit of bounce on the floor, causing the TV to wobble etc while walking around the van. You should hopefully have your main supports correctly in place taking the weight of the van as we did, but may be missing the intermediate stands as we were and if I remember correctly, areas where support was needed had to be placed where marked with a yellow label / sticker. Another area checked was to see if the caravan wheels / tyres were off the ground or at least not taking any weight.

We purchased and placed a few stands at each side along the length of the van and as it is not sited on level ground (sloping down from rear to front) the stands purchased varied in sizes, as I did not want to over extend the adjustable threaded bar to much. I was really gentle in tightening these stands up, as the intention was for them not to take weight, but just to stop any bend or flex when that area was walked over.

I'm no expert matey and just explaining what we did and you may want advice from those with more expertise, but the bounce in our van disappeared after doing the above. Also, if you enter Axle Stands in the forum search, there are other threads that have further information.
Old 23-06-2019, 15:23

Just noticed your post (5) after submitting mine. If you do have all the correct stands in the correct places, I can't see why additional stands should be needed? Are your wheels / tyres off the ground and are your stands correctly tightened?
Old 23-06-2019, 16:30

In that case do like Cylon did , place them under any part of the frame but adjust them to the frame so they donít take the weight , to do this slide a piece of paper between the frame and the stand keep moving the paper while you adjust the stand slowly as soon as the paper gets caught between them stop.
Old 24-06-2019, 13:26

We don't seem to have a problem when walking around even if we have the grandchildren the van. However, we do feel vibrations when the washer dryer is on spin mode. It's not really a problem but the missus does mention it but I'm not going under the van.
Old 25-06-2019, 13:34

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi Springtime, here's a couple of links from previous posts, there are more links within the posts. Hope you find these useful. You could also ask at your caravan park office for advice. I would imagine a certain amount of movement will vary depending upon your base and how long your static has been sited.

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...ht=axle+stands

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...ht=axle+stands

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1